The Big Winner Today is Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Oct 4, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

There is no doubt that the 4S is a great upgrade. 64 GB. Siri. Camera and video upgrades. Faster data speeds. It's a great upgrade for 3GS users.

But for the first time, Apple looks like they hit a double instead of a home run. The 4S is going to sell very well (especially w/Sprint in the mix), but this is the first time I can recall feeling so disappointed after a keynote. And you don't have to look hard on the internet (not just this forum) to see that many others are seriously underwhelmed with this update.

Apple will undoubtedly lose customers to Android by not upgrading their hardware with respect to screen size. (Contend that all you want, it's a fact.) Even with the potential superior pixel count of the retina display, a lot of consumers will not entertain a 3.5" screen these days. For the first time that I can recall, the iPhone now feels like a truly dated piece of hardware.

It's a shame. I can honestly say I'm going to pay close attention to the Nexus Prime announcement next week. Doesn't mean I'm going to jump ship, but man, this is just so underwhelming. Android wins big today.

2. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I agree. First time I thought of switching over to Android from a Keynote.

Going to be looking forward to the Nexus Prime. Hopefully they pick it back up NEXT year. :rolleyes:

3. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

Biggest loser is Tmobile. We should all direct our disappointments to the new CEO :D

4. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Didn't this exact same thing happen when the 3GS was announced? Rampant (unfounded) speculation, resulting in many being disappointed or feeling underwhelmed?

We've been here before, and I seriously doubt this will have droves running to android.

5. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah, they only trail IOS by like 13% in OS marketshare and are getting further behind every day.

They have yet another phone that will outsell all android handsets this year.

That is amazing the iPhone 4S comes out in October and it will outsell all Android handsets in 2011.

Yeah Android is really going gangbusters lol!

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Let's keep in mind that we're all fanboys here. I thought the most telling stat was Tim stating that the iPhone only has a 5% marketshare of mobile phones. It's clear that what they're trying to do this year is expand into more countries/carriers with cheaper models. Get more people on to the bandwagon and them wow them next year with a substantial update. Not a bad strategy.

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

My feelings about this are already being reflected online.

----------

I don't fault their move, but I think a redesign was due.

Forget about "fanboys". I just told my brother (a Blackberry user looking to move on) that the keynote gave us a spec update only and his immediate response was....."ugh".

9. jaytv111 macrumors regular

And if the next iPhone comes out in June or July with LTE, then it's going to be another 8 months or so of Android phones being released with much better specs and even Ice Cream Sandwich. People are going to walk into the Verizon store, try out the data speeds on the iPhone 4S, try out LTE Android phones with Ice Cream Sandwich, and walk away thinking the iPhone is much much slower. Hopefully the battery life gets better on LTE though.

The At&t one is decent in terms of network speeds, though.

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I held out hope all the way until Tim Cook said Thank you for coming here today to see Apple's innovation in hardware and technology.

At that point, I was so disappointed, that I almost cried. Really? That's innovation? Putting an A5 chip into an iPhone 4? The camera was the only part that amazed me.

And for God's sake, why do you have to call it "The most amazing phone ever" when it's just a Verizon iPhone 4 souped up with A5?

Most disappointing thing to come from Apple. Was not expecting this.

As for Siri... I've had that app on my 3GS for over a year and a half now. It was very amazing the first week, but after a while it gets boring. I haven't even used it in a year.

Overall, not impressed at all. I hope you're listening Steve, but this company, in terms of innovation, is headed downhill. Sure you'll make billions more from adding more carriers, but the lack of innovation today is simply astounding, and very, very, disappointing.

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You reckon the iPhone 4s will outsell all Android handsets sold this year despite being released within the last 10 weeks of the year? You're going to need to evidence that statement. Pretty quickly, if you don't want to lose your remaining credibility.

12. Tones2 macrumors 65816

This is CLEARLY an entirely different market than when the 3GS was announced. Android has caught fire and their are a miriad of new EXISTING phones (with many more on the way) with more modern features than the yet to be released iPhone 4S.

If Apple waits another year for an upgrade, they will lose market share. It's just a matter of how much. Hopefully, they wise up quick and deliver a 4"+ screen 4G LTE phone next summer.

Tony

13. aohus macrumors 68000

Eric Schmidt is grinning

So is Larry Page.

Andy Rubin is on some beach probably sippin some cognac.

14. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

If you search for #iPhone4S on Twitter right now it's amazing to see all the people complaining. I'm seeing a lot of "seriously thinking about Android now" tweets.

15. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

There are more Android phones out there than iPhones.

Though the iPhone as a phone outsells any individual Android model.

And together with the Touch and iPad there are more total iOS devices.

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

17. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Nexus prime - 1280x720 superamoled HD + screen 330ppi with LTE. Game over. Retina is a gimmick, this is the real deal.

18. macinnv macrumors regular

Android phones are pretty much caught up to the iPhone, lacking in some areas, better in others. I used to really want an iPhone, now I dont feel the need to jump to Apple. Where Apple really shines is with the iPad, competitors arent anywhere near close. This is where Apple should be focusing.

19. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I think the Samsung guys are doing high fives. I love my IP4, but if they release the Nexus on 11 Oct or 3 November, I will be there to try it out.

20. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Funny how the Nexus is going to be announced days before iphone 4s release.

21. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

I may be making the switch... disappointed in all this

22. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Market is different these days. Back then Apple could get away with not changing any design (partly also because there was only a 12 month wait between the 3G and 3GS).

These days I feel Apple have to always stay 1 step ahead of the competition, and with the 4S, i really feel like they havent taken that necessary step.

What is surprising me the most is the fact that there are a lot more casual users expressing their disappointments (got loads of negative facebook status's)

23. DoubleU macrumors regular

No LTE not an in the UK, yet

Lack of LTE isn't much of an issue for the UK market and much of Europe outside of Scandanavia.

24. Juarez7514 macrumors member

I like all apple products just like everyone else, buy I think I will go with samsung galaxy 2 with AT&T. I really wanted a bigger screen

25. admanimal macrumors 68040

Well, this would definitely be the first time anyone has complained about a newly announced Apple product not meeting all of their expectations. I'm sure this phone will be a big failure just like all of those other products.