The biggest reason to NOT buy an iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 17, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I have yet to see if I'm even eligible to upgrade without penalty. But even if I can do it freely, I'll get stuck in another 2 year contract. Not only can I not switch to another carrier if Apple switches, but I also might not be able to get the iPhone 4G without paying for another upgrade fee. We haven't gotten word from AT&T if they'll reduce the upgrade fee like they're doing now for the next iPhone, which could be one of the biggest upgrades for an iPhone. What do you guys think? Would you be more inclined to buy the 3GS if you knew that you could buy the iPhone 4G without the upgrade fee in the future?

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

AT&T is just now upgrading their 3G network, I wouldn't expect 4G anytime soon.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think there will be some lucky owner of a new 3Gs thanks to you. :D

Technology is a game of having or waiting and waiting. I prefer to have.

4. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

If the 4G phone is amazing as some people make it out to be, would you not pay $500 for it? Didn't millions of people pay $500 or even $600 for the 2g phone with EDGE data?

Jeez.

I wish Apple had never gone the subsidized route. Now we all expect the phone to be cheap and worry about contracts. Who gives a crap. If it has internet that's comparable to broadband, I am all over that mofo.

5. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Agreed. Its better to wait until next year.

The iPhone 3GS is a minor update. It will be a bigger jump next year. And you'll be out of the 2yr contract and can choose what carrier to go with. Sounds like a win-win in every way to wait until next year.

6. michael31986 macrumors 68030

7. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

That's also why I'm not upgrading. Apple can only get away with a "minor" update for so long before they have to dish out something really neat (which I bet they'll do next year), Plus, if I upgrade and Apple switches carriers, I won't be able to get the new and improved SUPER super duper phone (as ken says it) for a year 'till its out.

Aren't cellphones great?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah I heard the 4g iPhone will have 1080i and a larger screen.

Wait, no it won't. That would alienate all the customers on existing hardware. Oh well. All we'll probably see is a cosmetic change, which these days is a "major epic upgrade".

9. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right, the speed might attract some people, but that's not something which you'll appreciate after the first month of having it. The only real useful aspect is the camera. It sort of made sense when Apple didn't upgrade the 3G camera at all from the 2G one, they wanted to save it for the 3GS so that they could put video recording as the main feature that people would buy it for (like I do now). I won't get it though, my 3G is good enough, though I will miss out on the MMS videos for sure!

10. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I would have to say that Apple will more than likely add an OLED screen in there. I HIGHLY doubt a 1080i screen...

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I could see the iPhone 4G having a 5 MP camera that can take 1080p pictures though. It might have 720p resolution but that would be too much. It will be amazing no doubt, I'll be sure to buy that, though I might just keep AT&T since I live in the Carolinas and I don't live in the busiest city so coverage is great!

12. whyamihere macrumors regular

whyamihere

while i feel i can survive without video or a compass, AT&T has basically made the decision for me. i can't upgrade until december without paying $200 more. let's face it, $399 is not reasonable for the hardware changes from the 3G, and come december it will be too close to the next release for an even better phone. thanks at&t for making the decision easy, i think.

13. outphase macrumors 65816

How can you have progressive resolution without actual movement? I think you're confusing video resolution with still photo resolution. 1080p resolution in video is 1920x1080. 1920 times 1080 is 2,073,600 as in ~2 Megapixels.

14. Lenxal macrumors regular

The 3gs wasn't a minor. it was a big one..

The 3g from 2g was a minor one.

15. rjsmith18 macrumors member

rjsmith18

I agree with the 5 MP camera.

16. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Yup. I had put it out of my mind, until the headlines "AT&T announces $199 iPhone 3GS for all iPhone 3G customers!".
    Until I actually read the fine print and realized it didn't apply to me, nor most people I know.

17. ttech10 macrumors 6502

What!?

How is speed not something you appreciate for a long time? That's just ridiculous.

18. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

What have you been smoking?

You're not going to display at a resolution of 1920 pixels and a frame resolution of 1920 × 1080 or about 2.07 million pixels in total on a 3.2 inch (or even sllightly larger) screen.

19. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

all you nay sayers, you guys just keep trying to bash the 3GS so you feel better about not being able to upgrade and say its not that big an update. 2G - 3G < 3G - 3GS

20. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

you'll get accustomed to it, and then not even notice it anymore.

21. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i have a family plan so ill just upgrade swap every year. someone will be eligible at all times... muahahahhhaah

can't wait to get my 3GS friday - i dont even care if its the smallest upgrade ever. its the newest and i have to have it

22. Hoodles macrumors newbie

Are you both on crack? Read his whole post...

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wow sarcasm really escapes you all don't it?

I said the next iPhone will clearly NOT have a 1080i screen and time travel, yet some people (actually in this very thread) think that the 2010 iPhone will usher in a new era of mobility for all who hold out on this "incremental" "non existant" "little" "meager" upgrade.

There may not even BE an iPhone next year. For all we know apple may get slapped with a giant lawsuit for god knows what.

I enjoy living in the here and now. lets stay off the rumor mill for the 4th gen phone (should there be one) until the 3rd gen gets off the ground first. All this speculation is the same reason there was a collective sad face over the entire community after the keynote; the mythical front facing camera and non-existant love affair with verizon overshadowed all of WWDC. Poor P. Schiller could have jumped up and down on the stage and said "IT'S TWICE AS FAST , PEOPLE!!! COME ON !!!" and the reviews still say "no external differences? No changes what so ever."

24. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

its funny, i read your post knowing it was sarcastic, then read his post, and thought it was someone else..... yea, well for anyone thinking it could be possible, it is not...

25. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

They have over $25 billion in reserves just sitting around. I am not worried.