The "Bring Back Translucent Menus" Thread

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kuwisdelu, Feb 12, 2008.

?

What do you think of the new lack of translucent menus?

1. Translucent menus back for everyone! That's the way it SHOULD be!

67 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Opaque menus are best for EVERYONE! They're the most usable!

36 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. I preferred the translucent menus back in 10.5.1 and would like the option back.

227 vote(s)
    45.1%
  4. I prefer the near-opaque menus we have in 10.5.2 but wouldn't mind the option of both.

80 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Huh? The menus changed?

93 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

So all of the people who hated the translucent menu bar and the translucent menus got to whine until Apple gave in and gave us the option to turn off the translucency for the menu bar. But now the menus themselves are nearly opaque with no option to keep them as translucent as before? Okay, everyone who liked the translucency, do we get our turn to whine now? I want translucent menus :confused:

Anyone figure out a new Terminal command or way to change them back to the way they were before yet? Here's to hoping 10.5.3 restores translucent menus!

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I really liked the translucent menus. Now Apple have changed it to opaque it looks dated to me.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I didn't know the new "modern" was "bad UI design." :rolleyes:

4. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Me too. Honestly, I could care less whether they're translucent or opaque, but I do think it looked better.

5. sananda macrumors 68020

i haven't yet updated. i like the bar as it is for me now. unlike the far too busy dock distractingly reflecting windows.

6. mach macrumors member

I too really liked the translucent menus, with the nice sort of frosted glass see-through look. The new ones look dated; I agree. Sad to see one of those nice little touches go.

7. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

8. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I thought you can just turn this on and off thru system preference under appearance:confused:

9. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

It's not on mine.

10. kuwisdelu thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope. The option to change the translucency of the menu bar was just added in 10.5.2 and it's under Desktop/Screensaver. There's never been an option to change the translucency of the menus themselves.

11. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

how about under screensaver? i'm not at home right now and I'm using my pc at work :rolleyes: now so I cannot be sure but I thought I was able to turn it on and off on my mac last night and I'm not sure if it's in the appearance or screensaver or wallpaper menu that you can check or uncheck on the bottom somewhere:confused:

12. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

On the homepage, click on the right-most picture in the 10.5.2 article and you see that there's a "translucent menu bar" option on the desktop window, but it's not present on mine.

13. kuwisdelu thread starter macrumors 65816

Under Desktop/Screensaver you can change whether the menu bar itself is translucent or not. But they increased the opacity over the menus themselves, but didn't add any option to keep them as translucent as before.

14. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

How about recalibrating your display?, 'cause I found that after the 10.5.2 update and leopard graphics update, my LCD needed recalibrating, so I did that and I noticed a lot of improvements on my display, better than before. ;)

15. Spievy macrumors regular

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I liked the pre-10.5.2 menus as well. They're so opaque now you can barely see the transparency. Too white!

17. ~David macrumors regular

~David

Wtf? They're still translucent here (Yes, I'm on 10.5.2)

18. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

They are still translucent, it's just barely noticeable. :(

I would like a slider or toggle to have it the old way too.

19. kuwisdelu thread starter macrumors 65816

Unless you've managed to change them back somehow or it didn't change yours, they're not nearly as transparent as before. I know they're still translucent, but you have to look really closely to tell at all.

20. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I want the translucent menu's back. Please - someone must have a hack for this...

21. kolax macrumors G3

Improvements? Such as...?

I did not notice colour definition change at all during the Graphics Update, nor did I need to recalibrate.

22. kap91 macrumors member

Another vote here for bringing back the previous level of translucency or better yet a check box or slider of some sorts. Not a big issue but I still find it aggravating.

23. vandlism macrumors 6502

How is removing translucency an improvement? Seriously, the GUI people at Apple have multiple personalities - these changes are getting annoying. What happened to awesome translucency and glossy, glowing dialog buttons. Also, why does the "plus button" window widget look different than the others when the window is inactive. It has a harsh shadow/outline or something on the top of it. Messed up.

24. kolax macrumors G3

I like it as it is now (in 10.5.2). Still has a little transparency but much more sleek and elegant.

25. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Bescause excessive transparency impedes legibility, and the primary goal of a menu is to expose text-labeled commands to the user, so anything to improve legibility is good? I have the same criticism of Vista's horrendous title bars and translucent windows (the gadget pane is the worst offender).