The Burger Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I was getting nostalgic the other day about The White Lady, which is this big white catering trailer-van thing in Auckland, New Zealand that sells burgers. It's a Kiwi institution; parking up just off Queen's Street every night until the early hours of the morning. Almost as good as the Pie Cart in Wellington; the perfect place for tipsy late-night greasy carbs.

http://auckland.wiki.org.nz/White_Lady

Anyway, great burgers... fantastic burgers... or they used to be from memory. And in New Zealand, they often put things in their burgers that you'd think would be horrible... but they're not. Things like sliced beetroot and pineapple. Yum.

http://web.bilkent.edu.tr/mirrors/bb/28/58.html

And I've had some good burgers here in London, at various burger joints. Even BurgerKing sometimes. The Spicy BeanBurger (veggie) is my usual choice but the real question is whether patties that aren't round disqualify it from being a burger. I fear this is so.

Yeah, so tell us about great burgers. Bought ones, home-made ones. Ketchup or onions? Or both?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

best burger i've ever had came from IHOP of all places. mind you i don't like burgers at all. but for awhile their their cheeseburgers were just fantastic. i can't remember the last time i had a burger though.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I went through a phase where I was obsessed with Red Robin because they have some 50 different kinds of burgers, with interesting things in them, and they're basically all available in veggie form. I haven't had it since I left Detroit, though.

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The best I ever had, was in days gone by, at a small hole in the wall place run by a guy named Charlie. Charlie's place was he one special place Dad would take us to on a friday night. Best burgers around, but alas, charlie dies many years ago. :(

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Thanks BV,

For reminding me of restaurants that I miss from my hometown.. :eek:

This Hamburger place.. I've heard they do daily grind of beef.. No frozen beef etc, Always fresh items..

Good Burgers/Chili.. << I do miss their 'Spanish Fries' :(

ConeyIsland Original Restaurant << I was in there eating so often that they knew my order,when they saw me walking up.... :D

6. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Please tell me good burger joins (real meat, not veggie) in London! I'm going there in two weeks and would be in dire straits without burgers.

Oh, and by the way,

IN-N-OUT FTW

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Hmmm. I'd be hesitant to recommend English burger places to an American but my personal preference would be for Gourmet Burger Kitchen (check the location page) over other chains. :)

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

There is a local chain called Vera's Burger Shack here (www.verasburgershack.com).
    One of the stores is literally out the door of my building.

they have awesome burgers. the patties are made fresh in store everyday, 100% meat. they have beef, turkey and lamb ones.
    the toppings are fresh and good quality.
    not cheap though a burger is $6-10 but well worth in it for my once or twice a year burger eating

My favorite is the G-Money. Double patties, Double Cheese, Double Mushrooms, and double veggies. no relish or ketchsup for me.
    Usually have it in two meals :D

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Mrs. Veil and I are partial to the burgers available at Longhorn's. They only offer the most basic types, but boy are they good!

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Yeah IMO burgers here suck. I ve tried burgers in soooooo many places in the states too, still haven t been able to enjoy a good burger luke in my younger years in Colombia must be the sketchy meats they use up here. Closest I be gotten was in a hotel down in Dominican republic. And of course the ones I have when I go down to Colombia. Actually there is a place in Miami that makes comparable ones same with hot dogs

11. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Probably the burgers from the veggie vans at Download Festival UK

They're nice, I must say.

Either that or I'm getting confused with somewhere else...

On the whole, burgers are generally quite "meh".

But I like the bean burgers from Burger King when they're actually cooked properly.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If there's one in your town, I highly recommend 5 Guys Burgers & Fries. Go with a friend, though, and split a single order of fries between the two of you. It's a huge portion - when my fiancee and I go we usually can't finish them all. As for the burgers, I'd recommend one with bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatos, and grilled onions. And of course, cheese.

13. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Red Robin is great. They'll even give you a free burger on your birthday if you sign up at their website. :)

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

square burgers certainly count. White Castle is an old chain in the US that serves square burger that have something of a cult following

Attached Files:

15. BigPrince macrumors 68020

16. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yes, i second the Gourmet Burger kitchen in London. woah good.

... there is a place in my home town St. Petersburg Fla. Called El Cap. Great burgers. Mainly because you can get them pretty rare, and they are VERY messy. So many things can go on it. And they come with Shoe-string fries.

wendys burgers are square.

17. keltorsori macrumors regular

I'm a vegetarian, so I haven't had a proper, real burger in about 14 years. However, the bacon chili cheese burger at Fat Moe's in Nashville, TN was always the best damn burger on the planet as far as I'm concerned.
    As far as veggie eats, I'm a fan of the Morning Star Griller Prime and making my own black-bean veggie burgers and vegetarian chili. It's a hell of a lot less fat/cholesterol, and while my memories of the taste of meat are certainly very distant, a good homemade chili-cheese burger still tastes damn good.

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

In-N-Out

"Those are good burgers, Walter."

"Shut the f*ck up, Donny!"

19. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

It starts with Black Angus cattle organic, free range, raised in the vast ranch land in Montana. I pay about 400.00 per cow, butchered. Another 15.00 per month in town for a freezer rental. Angus beef makes the best burgers. :D

20. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

21. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

In-and-Out for the win, naturally. But only when I'm out of town :)

In town, I always go to this place, Sliders. Awesome burgers, awesome prices. And you pile on the veggies yourself, they have a salad-type bar where you just take as much as you want.

24. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The only really good burger place here is called Red Top. The burgers are thin but huge, the size of a small plate. Their slogan is "ones a meal" and that youll need two hands. They need their own custom buns since they are so big. Its not that expensive, like 8.50 for a combo, but still too expensive to go to on a regular basis.

http://members.tripod.com/conwayredtop/hamburge.htm

for fast food the best place is Culver's. http://www.culvers.com/

Theyre the In-n-Out of the midwest and expanded here recently (unlike the lazy asses at In-n-Out who have hardly left california, Culver's is moving to other states really fast). Their burgers are good and they make everything to order, including the fries, thank god. Its always gamble when ordering food at the other chains since you may get acceptable fries or cold revolting fries. And their prices are great, $6.12 for a double deluxe cheeseburger combo, it cost almost 7 bucks at all the other crappy places for a double cheese with everything. They also have smaller burger combos for just around 4 bucks which even Mcdonalds cant match in terms of price.

Better than In-N-Out? I dont know, Ive never had In-N-Out but they both have strong reputations in their areas. Culvers sure seems to have more money though because they are expanding like mad while I-N-O only recently put one store in Utah.

I dont get burgers that much though. The burgers here arent anything amazing. I have a really good Vienna Beef chicago dog place nearby run by chicago natives that import every single thing they have from chicago. I only get burgers at night when they are closed.

chicago dogs >>>>> burgers