The Camera that's With You

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Prodo123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Everyone's heard of Chase Jarvis's famous quote:
    I take this quote to the heart. I carry my DSLR around everywhere. Ironic twist on the quote, huh.

That makes me wonder. Some people carry around P&S cameras, MILCs, or just their cell phones. Others are like me and carry a DSLR around.

Which camera do you have with you at all times?

2. lonewolfe macrumors newbie

lonewolfe

That's a pretty strong quote.

I used to love taking my DSLR with me everywhere but lately I've found myself borrowing my siblings' or parents' iPhones to snap quick pics whenever we go out. I'm the only one with a droid (D2 Global) in my family and it's pretty slow at taking shots.

The reason I stopped taking the DSLR with me whenever I go out is because crop frame + 50mm + small indoor places made it awkward for me to shoot... :/

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

For friendly portraits, my iPhone will suffice. If I really want to get a great photograph.. my dslr is in the truck always.:cool:

5. avro707 macrumors 6502a

iPhone only. I don't take the normal cameras unless they are needed during the day - they are too bulky to carry. My job isn't 100% photography related.

6. charpi macrumors regular

depends on my mood really. 50-50 split between my Galaxy Note (when I don't expect to see anything interesting, like going to the store 50m away to buy bread) or my X100 (usually when I go further away and need to take public transport).

7. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

My camera goes with me to most places, but when I can't take it, or I want to get an image online NOW, I use my iPhone.

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I have a minimal kit that goes with me everywhere: Nikon D200, 18-70 lens, cable release, a grey-grad filter, a little pouch with CF cards and charged-up batteries and a lightweight tripod. I'd rather have the tripod at the ready than extra lenses, 'cos I use the tripod for every shot whereas I'm seldom wanting to shoot wider than 18mm, or longer than 70mm (and, if I do, I have the option of packing a 70-200 lens).

I try to keep this kit together, so I can just pick up a rucksack and go, knowing that I have everything I need to take a shot in any conditions. To me this represents freedom, though I appreciate that some may think I'm mad for carrying a tripod everywhere... :p

9. admwright macrumors regular

Out of interest what do you consider a go anywhere lightweight tripod?

Andrew W.

10. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I keep my old Canon 30D with a 50mm f1.4 in the boot/trunk of my car and my iphone in my pocket. I'm thinking of swopping my old iphone for a Galaxy Note as the best portfolio is the one that's with you!

11. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I have a Slik Pro 340DX tripod, except that I fitted it with a Manfrotto joystick head, which is a great piece of kit. Squeeze the 'trigger', let go and the camera stays put!

12. someoldguy macrumors 65816

All the time??? Well , if I'm out somewhere there's an older point and shoot in the center console of my car. Before I retired , I always had a Canon Elph in my laptop bag .

13. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Up until recently I usually only had either my iPhone or a Minox camera with me, but I just got an E-P2. Now it and its lenses are with me, along with a compact tripod, a hard drive, and a few other odds and ends.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have my iPhone with me at all times however I generally carry my Canon P&S which usually does the trick in most cases. I usually only take my DSLR if it's a trip or vacation or something like that.

15. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

That quote has been said by many people in many places over the years. And, it does reflect a truism: if you want to take a picture and you have no camera with you, then you are out of luck. I don't have one camera that goes everywhere. I've accumulated a shelf-full of cameras over the years, so it depends on what I feel like using. Today I have my Mamiya RB67 with me; this weekend I am hoping to get out with my 4x5 Shen-Hao field camera.

16. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4s is always with me and I have my D200 DSLR with me about 80 percent of the time.

17. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I always have my Pen e-pm1 with me along with the kit lens and a couple fd lenses: 50mm 1.8 and 28 mm 2.8.

18. mustang_dvs, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I almost always have my trusty 1D Mark III + Industar 50-2 f/3.5 (m42 Zeiss turned pancake) with me in an FX-5 bag.

And when I don't, I have my iPhone 4.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

I take my Lumix with me everywhere... gives me an excuse to carry a man-purse. Camera has a fantastic zoom range - I forget the wide-angle limit, but it goes to the equivalent of a 600mm. It lives in a small Roots shoulder bag that is just big enough to hold an iPad as well. Couple of pockets for sunglasses, batteries, and memory cards, and business cards. Lives by the front door.

20. VI™ macrumors 6502a

My DSLR only really goes out for jobs and portfolio shoots. I don't want to leave a bag with over $7,000 in gear in my Jeep, especially when we get weather extremes with 90+ and 40-. I know that may not be extreme for some people, but I don't want my gear suffering through it.

I have my EVIL Oly OM-D for the lighter work.

21. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

iPhone + Oly Pen E-PM1 w/ 1 - 2 lenses in my messenger bag. I carry that little camera everywhere. The OM-D EM-5 is now my "big" camera.

22. Droid13 macrumors regular

I almost always have with me a Canon IXUS 220 HS - very small camera with a very nice wide angle lens. The D300 is reserved for trips where photography is expected to feature heavily.

23. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

My iPhone is the camera I always have with me. I would really love to bring my 5DII along with me everywhere, but it's not something I want to lug around if I'm just going out to dinner or a bar.

24. sananda macrumors 68020

It used to be that my iPhone was with me all the time but I'm getting trying to be less connected these days so try to leave it at home more often.

I have a Leica M8 which I try to take out with me most of time (although I've been failing at that recently).

25. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Damn you, Leica M8! So jealous!