Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanucksRock

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I got my phone at a Virgin Kiosk on launch day - no line, no issues :)

I went with them because they had the best plan for me - I don't use a lot of voice minutes - but wanted the 6GB data and unlimited text messaging. So for $65+GST - I have 6GB data, 100 daytime minutes, unlimited eve/wknds after 7 pm, unlimited text messaging (no picture unfortunatley), Voicemail + Call Display.

Plus - I got 6 months unlimited calling - didn't ask for it, and didn't even know it was a current promo :)

MacAlpha

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Great White North
I dont understand how people have time standing in line for 3-4hours a day.. Im guessing their high up in their job so they can just afford to not work for 3-4hours but still be able to foot the phone bill every month.. I can go stand in line for a day.. but it seems like people have to do it day in day out.. About 90% of the people have 8-5 jobs and they cant run around town looking, thats why rogers should do a pre-order list so everything would be done in fashion.. Once they get the phone go down the list and this way atleast id know i was on a "formal" list..

I have to agree. I would like to get one (actually two, one for me and one for the wife). I am not one to spend hours in line. Just put me on a waiting list and call me when it is available. I don't want to phone around daily looking for one. Fortunately, Wireless Wave has been taking a list for Rogers subscribers. It remains to be seen how well it will work or if they will ever call me, but they did take my details and put it on a "list".

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
not sure if its helpful for you, but nearly all Bell stores will be getting some stock anywhere from this saturday to monday

Last saturday i was informed that 6 units would be coming to Wireless Wave this week.. called every single day, twice.. Not a single one came in. Their not getting stock i dont know why stores said their getting stock this week.. no one got a thing.

I'm pissed because I missed my chance to get an iPhone last Tuesday from Virgin. I had called and the woman told me she had a 16 GB left... and she was willing to hold it for me if I dropped by the store quickly enough. I told her I might stop by later on that day, but not to keep it.

I was with Bell, and they wouldn't give me a decent plan even being without a contract, so I ultimately decided to switch with Virgin (I know, Bell owns it). Before I knew it, the phone had been sold about 10 minutes after I called. Anyways, that's why I just made the order online. I'm guessing I'll end up having to wait 2-3 weeks before I get it.

Lol that sucks.. Should of stayed with Bell and kept calling in every other day until you fixed your plan the way you wanted.. you had all the time to do it since now your kinda phoneless anyways..

I have to agree. I would like to get one (actually two, one for me and one for the wife). I am not one to spend hours in line. Just put me on a waiting list and call me when it is available. I don't want to phone around daily looking for one. Fortunately, Wireless Wave has been taking a list for Rogers subscribers. It remains to be seen how well it will work or if they will ever call me, but they did take my details and put it on a "list".

Yah, Im on like 5 different lists.. Just that how "formal" are these lists? Im sure if Joe goes to the store where his buddy Bob works, Joe will get the phone over anyone else thats on a "list"

I doubt even beginning/mid september that we'll have a easy way of getting one.. Isnt there another set of countries aimed for the released for this phone they gotta get shipments out to them too.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
finally!!

Got my phone finally in market mall..not too bad a wait..about an hour
they had separate lines for unlocked and contract..i got the 16G unlocked one..

Called in Rogers and gave my frustration on why i should pay 399 for iphone4..they couldn't do anything about iphone price as i got my last upgrade last fall..but did get about $40 discount on my monthly bill..wasn't bad i thought..

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada

I went with them because they had the best plan for me - I don't use a lot of voice minutes - but wanted the 6GB data and unlimited text messaging. So for $65+GST - I have 30GB data, 100 daytime minutes, unlimited eve/wknds after 7 pm, unlimited text messaging (no picture unfortunatley), Voicemail + Call Display.

Plus - I got 6 months unlimited calling - didn't ask for it, and didn't even know it was a current promo :)

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I don't use a lot of minutes, at least during daytime. So 100 minutes with unlimited evenings from 7 PM is perfect! I choose unlimited text with the plan. I pay $55.53+tax with the 6 GB included. Only thing I might add is Call Display... but I wanted to stay below $60 before taxes. I'll see if I really need it in a month or so. If I do add it, my monthly bill would be $62.53+tax... which isn't too bad I suppose.

I wish I would of made my decision to switch sooner! I guess the Virgin kiosk in my region only had 3 iPhone 4 at launch, but they took a while to sell them. I stopped by today and they didn't expect anything before next week. And again, they aren't really aware of when more phones come in...

I guess I'll wait to see if I get an email from my online order.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space

I went with them because they had the best plan for me - I don't use a lot of voice minutes - but wanted the 6GB data and unlimited text messaging. So for $65+GST - I have 30GB data, 100 daytime minutes, unlimited eve/wknds after 7 pm, unlimited text messaging (no picture unfortunatley), Voicemail + Call Display.

30GB?

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Ah man I'm still out of luck trying to find an iphone. I work 8-5 everyday- I dont know how so many people are finding the time to line up and wait with the possibility of not receiving them.

I'm leaving for university in three weeks and would like to get on in before hand. I think I'll start looking around for a case and a screeen protector so I am ready when they come in.

I just really hope that I can get my 32 before I go back to school.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Ah man I'm still out of luck trying to find an iphone. I work 8-5 everyday- I dont know how so many people are finding the time to line up and wait with the possibility of not receiving them.

I'm leaving for university in three weeks and would like to get on in before hand. I think I'll start looking around for a case and a screeen protector so I am ready when they come in.

Basically in the same situation as you. Can't afford to stand in line during the weekday because of work. However I commute to school and my summer jobs ends 2 weeks before school starts. I should have the time to grab one before lectures and books takeover my life.

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010

I got mine after work at the Apple store (waited in line for maybe 25 minutes with a ticket). They've been getting 2 shipments per day (over a hundred units). And you can set up the phone on any of the supported carriers, including upgrades.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I got mine after work at the Apple store (waited in line for maybe 25 minutes with a ticket). They've been getting 2 shipments per day (over a hundred units). And you can set up the phone on any of the supported carriers, including upgrades.

Well seems like the apple store you went to is getting a ton of stock compared to others.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Telus addition 5gb to plans $65 and up

Don't know if this was covered yet as this thread is HUGE!

I just called retentions and got it put on my account. I bought the phone on release day but this offer wasn't then.

CS rep said it just came out couple days ago. He told me it was like if an airline had a seat sale. I told him I'd just sell the phone ($800), buy out the contract ($400) and renew at a later date. Walla, 5 extra gee bees.

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Anyone having any luck at any of the Toronto area Apple stores? I called Sherway and they said none in, but maybe a shipment Monday.

It seems Rogers stores are a total waste of time.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Are they really that hard to get up there? I was thinking of driving up to the Square One Mall, anyone know how they are doing with stock on unlocked ones?

yycguy

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
I was just at market mall, Calgary. I was going to get on unlocked iPhone 4 for my gf. Went to the front of the 50 person lineup and asked how long the wait would be. The apple guy said they were not selling any more unlocked ones till their shipment came in next week. He said they had enough for the activations for the people in line. Oh well guess I come back Next week.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Are they really that hard to get up there? I was thinking of driving up to the Square One Mall, anyone know how they are doing with stock on unlocked ones?

Every phone at the Apple store comes unlocked. It is locked to carrier when you activate the phone with a SIM card. So if you buy it unlocked, activate it first and then insert whatever SIM card you are using. ;)

sauced

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
O Canada...
Just came from a Bell store, and I'm apparently at the top of the 30+ person wait list because they just started taking deposits and I was the first one to do so lol. They're hopefully getting a shipment in early next week.

Xaximus

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Toronto seems to be having an incredibly hard time keeping stock. I won't have time to stand in line for another week. Sucks to be me.

EbolaMonkey

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Anyone having any luck at any of the Toronto area Apple stores? I called Sherway and they said none in, but maybe a shipment Monday.

It seems Rogers stores are a total waste of time.

I feel you on this one. I've been 5th on the waiting list for a 32gb at a Rogers Store on the other end of town since release day. They won't answer the phone.

Is it worth it for me to try Sherway or Square One Apple Stores? They're both over an hour away.

Gadget Strategy

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Toronto
So I was just wondering, is it possible to use a unlocked iphone with fido and/or rogers without the data plan? The reason I am asking this is because I heard that AT&T can track the fact that you are using a iphone, and will automatically make you buy a data plan.
That's what I did. I bought an unlocked iPh 4 and activated it with my active Fido prepaid right there in Apple Store. Then I just blocked cell and 3G data on it. Works with Fido GSM and Wi-Fi like a champ.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Every phone at the Apple store comes unlocked. It is locked to carrier when you activate the phone with a SIM card. So if you buy it unlocked, activate it first and then insert whatever SIM card you are using. ;)

Technically not true. It is assigned/locked to a carrier at the point of sale based on which carrier you do an upgrade with or which/how a sim card is assigned to the purchase.

Also, even an unlocked iphone needs a sim inside it to do activation.

I only learned this after seeing a bit of a mess of some people who thought they purchased unlocked iPhone 4's last week only to find out they were locked ones because of the way the apple employee processed the purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.