The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
I intend to read it, but first I'd like to continue reading the Harry Potter series where I left off (halfway through Goblet of Fire)!

I'm more intrigued by the comments that J. K. Rowling is reported to make in an episode of Front Row to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 this evening; she's averse to a Harry Potter prequel or sequel, but not a parallel "sidestep" story…

Her new novel sounds a little too mundane in terms of subject matter, but if nothing else it's worth reading for getting a sense of what else the author is capable of, outside the fantasy genre.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I love the 4th one. The 2nd and 3rd were my least favorites. I don't like Black as a character, and I'm not really sure why Harry was so fond of him.
I suppose Harry thought anyone was better than those awful Dursleys. I guess I liked the third one the best because it features one of my favourite Hogwarts professors (Lupin). :eek:

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I suppose Harry thought anyone was better than those awful Dursleys. I guess I liked the third one the best because it features one of my favourite Hogwarts professors (Lupin). :eek:
But Black became like his best friend, and we're given no motivation for this other than that he knew Harry's father as a kid.

I like Lupin too. But I think that the 4th book had the best plot line.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm going to pick it up the next time I'm at a Barnes & Noble. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I'm very excited that she's written a book aimed at adults. Interested to see how she writes outside of the Harry Potter world.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
But Black became like his best friend, and we're given no motivation for this other than that he knew Harry's father as a kid.

I like Lupin too. But I think that the 4th book had the best plot line.
Yeah not much is known about Black really. Have you ever read fanfiction? Maybe some of the people who write that have different ideas. Who doesn't like Lupin (apart from the stinking Slytherins and Snape?) :p:D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yeah not much is known about Black really. Have you ever read fanfiction? Maybe some of the people who write that have different ideas. Who doesn't like Lupin (apart from the stinking Slytherins and Snape?) :p:D
I don't read fan fiction of any sort. I think it ruins the purity of the author's world, at least for me.

----------

By the way, I bought the audiobook from Audible.com. The reader is fantastic, I just started a few hours ago.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I want to read the new book, however, I'm not paying $18 for the Kindle edition. So, I'll wait for the price to drop or get the ebook if it is available at my library.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is anyone else going to read this book when it comes out later this week? It's supposed to be a realistic murder mystery fiction written for adults.
Any magic? :p

Is this a thriller? I read an article about it and did not get that feeling. Maybe I needed to play closer attention.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I want to read the new book, however, I'm not paying $18 for the Kindle edition. So, I'll wait for the price to drop or get the ebook if it is available at my library.
This made me pretty mad too. I used one of my audible credits for mine, so the book only cost me $8 on audio.

----------

Any magic? :p

Is this a thriller? I read an article about it and did not get that feeling. Maybe I needed to play closer attention.
No magic. The story seems pretty in depth so far, but I wouldn't call it a thriller.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I assume maybe incorrectly that "murder mystery" = thriller
I'm not entirely sure that its a murder now. Could be wrong. It seems to be more societal black comedy revolving around an untimely death.

I assumed that he was murdered, possibly incorrectly because he was very young.
The book is incredibly dry at this point bout 20% through it. I would have stopped reading this book if it weren't written by one of my favorite authors.

Also, the language in this book is very coarse. The familiar writing style makes very expletive a painful stab to the childhood. :eek:

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not entirely sure that its a murder now. Could be wrong. It seems to be more societal black comedy revolving around an untimely death.

I assumed that he was murdered, possibly incorrectly because he was very young.
The book is incredibly dry at this point bout 20% through it. I would have stopped reading this book if it weren't written by one of my favorite authors.

Also, the language in this book is very coarse. The familiar writing style makes very expletive a painful stab to the childhood. :eek:
Ok, that is more like what I read. For those who loved a story drenched in "magic" my guess is the readership for this will be much less, but I could be wrong.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
About 35% through. The book is becoming pretty interesting, though not in the pure, Harry Potter way.

My impression of this book is that it's a highbrow MTV-esque show written in slightly esoteric text form.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
probably not. I have a bunch on my plate and to read JK Rowling's next book isn't really that important. Now if it said Harry Potter: The Casual Vacancy. We would be having a different discussion. Loved that series. Hope she does well. But realistic murder mysteries aren't really my thing.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
probably not. I have a bunch on my plate and to read JK Rowling's next book isn't really that important. Now if it said Harry Potter: The Casual Vacancy. We would be having a different discussion. Loved that series. Hope she does well. But realistic murder mysteries aren't really my thing.
It might not be a murder mystery after all.

It's about a local election with about 30 "main" and reprehensible characters. If you read this book, you will like none of them, but you might relate to a few. It's starting to change the way I view certain people in my life because of how raw it is.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
It might not be a murder mystery after all.

It's about a local election with about 30 "main" and reprehensible characters. If you read this book, you will like none of them, but you might relate to a few. It's starting to change the way I view certain people in my life because of how raw it is.
You should let me know in the end how good it was. Sometimes plot > character development. I hope this is true. Let me know if you guys liked it.