The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleguy123, Sep 25, 2012.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Is anyone else going to read this book when it comes out later this week? It's supposed to be a realistic murder mystery fiction written for adults.

2. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I intend to read it, but first I'd like to continue reading the Harry Potter series where I left off (halfway through Goblet of Fire)!

I'm more intrigued by the comments that J. K. Rowling is reported to make in an episode of Front Row to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4 this evening; she's averse to a Harry Potter prequel or sequel, but not a parallel "sidestep" story…

Her new novel sounds a little too mundane in terms of subject matter, but if nothing else it's worth reading for getting a sense of what else the author is capable of, outside the fantasy genre.

3. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

What do you think of the Harry Potter books you've read so far? My favourite is the third one (Prisoner of Azkaban).

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

I love the 4th one. The 2nd and 3rd were my least favorites. I don't like Black as a character, and I'm not really sure why Harry was so fond of him.

5. OnceYouGoMac, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I suppose Harry thought anyone was better than those awful Dursleys. I guess I liked the third one the best because it features one of my favourite Hogwarts professors (Lupin). :eek:

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

But Black became like his best friend, and we're given no motivation for this other than that he knew Harry's father as a kid.

I like Lupin too. But I think that the 4th book had the best plot line.

7. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I'm going to pick it up the next time I'm at a Barnes & Noble. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I'm very excited that she's written a book aimed at adults. Interested to see how she writes outside of the Harry Potter world.

8. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Yeah not much is known about Black really. Have you ever read fanfiction? Maybe some of the people who write that have different ideas. Who doesn't like Lupin (apart from the stinking Slytherins and Snape?) :p:D

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

I don't read fan fiction of any sort. I think it ruins the purity of the author's world, at least for me.

----------

By the way, I bought the audiobook from Audible.com. The reader is fantastic, I just started a few hours ago.

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

The Casual Vacancy

Not to burst your bubble, but the New York Times review didn't think much of it.

KGB

11. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

Depends on the fanfiction. Some of it can be good but some can be total dreck. I think when it comes to fanfic you have to pick and choose really.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I want to read the new book, however, I'm not paying $18 for the Kindle edition. So, I'll wait for the price to drop or get the ebook if it is available at my library.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Any magic? :p

Is this a thriller? I read an article about it and did not get that feeling. Maybe I needed to play closer attention.

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

This made me pretty mad too. I used one of my audible credits for mine, so the book only cost me $8 on audio.

----------

No magic. The story seems pretty in depth so far, but I wouldn't call it a thriller.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I assume maybe incorrectly that "murder mystery" = thriller

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Goblet of Fire was my favorite. Read it in grade 6 then won a contest to meet the author :D

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

I'm not entirely sure that its a murder now. Could be wrong. It seems to be more societal black comedy revolving around an untimely death.

I assumed that he was murdered, possibly incorrectly because he was very young.
    The book is incredibly dry at this point bout 20% through it. I would have stopped reading this book if it weren't written by one of my favorite authors.

Also, the language in this book is very coarse. The familiar writing style makes very expletive a painful stab to the childhood. :eek:

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, that is more like what I read. For those who loved a story drenched in "magic" my guess is the readership for this will be much less, but I could be wrong.

19. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

About 35% through. The book is becoming pretty interesting, though not in the pure, Harry Potter way.

My impression of this book is that it's a highbrow MTV-esque show written in slightly esoteric text form.

20. TedM macrumors 6502

probably not. I have a bunch on my plate and to read JK Rowling's next book isn't really that important. Now if it said Harry Potter: The Casual Vacancy. We would be having a different discussion. Loved that series. Hope she does well. But realistic murder mysteries aren't really my thing.

21. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

It might not be a murder mystery after all.

It's about a local election with about 30 "main" and reprehensible characters. If you read this book, you will like none of them, but you might relate to a few. It's starting to change the way I view certain people in my life because of how raw it is.

22. TedM macrumors 6502

You should let me know in the end how good it was. Sometimes plot > character development. I hope this is true. Let me know if you guys liked it.