The Cheese thread.......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rhett7660, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I didn't remember that the order was split in two, as, given that I am not from the US, Thanksgiving (like Eid, or Diwali) is a celebration that occurs in a culture different to mine; however, I did recall an internal debate as to whether one would be able to restrain oneself until Christmas.

But, glad to see that you have been enjoying yourself.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It is pretty tasty. It’s an Italian cheese similar to a young Gouda, but with a slightly more aged feel and a nuttiness similar to what you’d get from Parmigiano-Reggiano.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sounds fascinating. Must keep my eyes (and nose) open.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gorgonzola Cremosa and Taleggio shall both adorn my cheeseboard tonight.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Vacherin Mont d'Or, Taleggio, Gorgonzola Cremosa and aged Goat's Gouda comprised this morning's breakfast cheeseboard.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Truffle parrano, ossau-iraty, and morbier tonight!

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

I had a few pieces of cheese with lunch today. Some Kerry Gold aged cheddar, Cambozola Blue, Renny Picot smoked gouda, and some Jarlsburg. That and some kippers and hard boiled eggs was just right!

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a lovely selection; yum. My only quibble would be the lack of blues.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Breakfast this morning took the form of Taleggio, Gorgonzola Cremosa and Mont d'Or, along with aged goat's Gouda. Served with toasted French bread, freshly squeezed citrus juice and coffee.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Breakfast comprised Gorgonzola Cremosa and Taleggio on toasted French bread.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Cheeses were bought today: Roquefort, Cashel Blue, Vacherin Mont d'Or, St Nectaire, Camembert Rustique, Etivaz (an amazing cheese), and aged Goat's Gouda.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A cheeseboard was prepared and the content consumed with fresh French bread.

It comprised the following cheeses: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Roquefort, Taleggio, Camembert Rustique, St Nectaire, Vacherin Mont d'Or and Etivaz.

And thus, for now, I rest content.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Brunch was a cheese-board which played host to the following cheeses: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Roquefort, St Nectaire, Camembert Rustique, Taleggio, and Etivaz.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gorgonzola Cremosa, Taleggio,, St Nectaire, and Camembert comprised breakfast this morning.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gorgonzola Cremosa and toasted ciabatta for lunch.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A cheeseboard is being in the process of being served which includes aged Goat's Gouda, Stilton, Camembert, and Gorgonzola.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bought some Munster, and Old Amsterdam and Killeen Goat's cheese today; still have plenty of Camembert, Stilton and Gorgonzola.

19. Zenithal, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 603

Cheesemonger phoned the house this evening and said they'll be getting large wheels of triple creme brie. The smallest ones coming in at just under 2.5 kg. These are meant to be sliced and sold in portions. However, due to being a customer for many years and me often going into tangents about brie, I've been made an offer I won't refuse.

Just need to figure out the largest size I can get that won't go bad before we consume it all. This makes up for not having any delice in stock this last season. Apparently it didn't meet the standards of the establishment. Not sure what went wrong.

Still have some sealed Lancashire bombs waiting to be eaten. They're good for a long time. I over-ordered, but as I said, fairly versatile cheese. Goes with just about everything and even melted for a sandwich.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2019 ---
    Though, one could in theory get a 1 kg brie wheel and place it in a large loaf of bread that's been bored out with fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden or a store that sells flavorful vegetables and greens. Maybe a drizzle of garlic and rosemary infused olive oil. Some grilled sweet peppers. It would make a delightful sandwich for 3-4 people, or if we're being realistic in this thread, just for one's self.

Not so much theory but tested theory and a very doable one at that.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Triple cream brie?

Yum.

Seriously, yum.

Not sure you'll need flavoured bread for that - for serving such a treat, I'd rest content with seriously good French bread, and yes, perhaps those roasted peppers you mentioned.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Visited the cheesemonger:

And came away with bag containing aged Stilton, mature Cashel Blue, Camembert, Brie, Taleggio, a local Gouda, and aged Comte.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

23. Zenithal macrumors 603

Bought two large wheels of that brie yesterday. They will ripen up in a few weeks. Alas, they must stay hidden. Their brethren, the Lancashire bombs, have been eaten at by a cheese eating piranha in the form of a human being here and there, all throughout the day.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

How long do you intend to keep the Brie?

I must say that the Brie my cheesemonger sold me a few days ago was absolutely sublime, creamy, oozing, delicious.

25. Zenithal, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 603

To his words, it was a "new" brie and needed some ripening before it could be enjoyed. With most imported bries I've bought from his establishment, I've usually let it sit for a few weeks nearing its peak point so the interior is nice and velvety. The same brie bought and then consumed within a week simply isn't there despite being delicious. Though I would use that brie in a bake or sliced and served on top of freshly made pizza. It holds its shape relatively well despite the heat. Though, for the former, it can get runny at times due to pockets of retained heat.

I had a few samples of the new lot he'd imported in. It definitely needs a few weeks. There were a few brined cheeses that were remarkable but I may special order those in the summer for salads.

Likewise, I've bought "newer" delice that wasn't as good as riper delice. And there was no delice this year. Anywhere actually. I couldn't find it in any store I usually saw it in. Shortage or people simply not buying it enough. I didn't seek to order it. I've ordered wheels of delice before. Let me tell you. That's not a wise move for the waistline.