The Cheese thread.......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rhett7660, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The efficacy (and efficiency) of "the power grab" is vastly over-rated. Especially when the matter of cheese is under discussion.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Brie with some mixed fruit preserves. Should be the last of the brie at this point. Not a large serving, just about 300 grams. Good enough for breakfast.

Yes, as a child I'd walk near the cheeseboard and do a run-by of it whilst grabbing a cut off chunk or two when not a soul was looking at the area.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A run-by? Of a cheeseboard?

Sigh.

Good food deserves contemplation, attention, focus, and respect.

I stand in front of the cheeseboard, or find a place at the table convenient to it. Then, I stare, (and sometimes salivate) with rapt and avid attention. Only at that stage is an approach - with a knife, or some such suitable implement - made.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Snacked on Durrus, Stilton and Gouda earlier today.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Époisses, aged and creamy Cashel Blue, Taleggio and cheddar for breakfast, on French brown soda bread.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bought some cheeses today: Aged Stilton, mature Cashel Blue, Raclette, Comte, Camembert, Taleggio, La Delice and Durrus.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have been invited to dinner this evening (by my cheesemonger) with my cheesemonger's producer of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Breakfast comprised aged Stilton, Brillat Savarin, Taleggio and Raclette with French bread. Yum.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Breakfast this morning comprised Brillat Savarin, Stilton, Raclette and Camembert (with French bread).

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

Been craving PR for a while now. Think I'll buy a half kilo this week. Might make some lasagna with it, too. Nice lasagna with homemade pasta during this nasty weather is every so comforting.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Treated myself to some deliciously oozing Gorgonzola and some seriously good aged Comte today.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Purchased Taleggio, Vacherin Mont d'Or, aged Stilton, goat's Gouda, and Camembert today.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gorgonzola Cremosa and French bread for breakfast. Yum.

14. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

If you like the Cremosa, (as it seems you do) you might like to try Cambozola's blue cheese. It's a triple cream brie-like blue that is truly wonderful! It's a Bavarian cheese that we get frequently. They also produce a mushroom variety that is also fantastic. Very oozy and spreadable. I think they'd be right up your alley!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I have tried Cambozola, and while I like the creaminess of the cheese, (and love creamy blues) I find it lacks that certain 'je ne sais quoi' of some of the other blues.

The mushroom version - which I have not yet encountered or had the pleasure of consuming - sounds wonderful.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

By the way, this very weekend, I have seen some heart-shaped horrors make an appearance in my cheesemonger's: There was a heart-shaped goat's cheese, a heart shaped triple cream cheese from Burgundy (something akin to a delice), and some other heart-shaped offering, the details of which escape me for now.

Some year's ago, I even spotted a heart-shaped Brie, complete with line of truffle.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'm indifferent with this one in particular. I've bought it about a dozen times over time and it's never stood out for me. I feel the earthiness of the mushrooms does little to differentiate itself from the earthy and often heavenly aroma and flavor of the cheese.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I'm inclined to agree.

In general, cheese can do perfectly well by itself - it does not require a great many additional flavours; if you want dried fruits (and I like dried fruits) serve them on the cheeseboard with the cheese.

Mind you, once, just once, I had an amazing (almost liquid) oozing Brie with truffles.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Had Gorgonzola Cremosa for breakfast, with French bread; yum.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Enjoyed aged Stilton, Vacherin Mont d'Or, Camembert, aged Comte Grand Cru, and Taleggio this morning with French bread.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Stilton, Vacherin Mont d'Or, Taleggio and Camembert comprised breakfast, along with rye bread.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Purchased some cheeses today: St Nectaire, Camembert, Stilton, Forme d'Ambert, Vacherin Mont d'Or, and a local Cheddar.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To yesterday's purchases (described above), today I added Taleggio and Gorgonzola Cremosa.