Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Neither I, nor anyone else, has posted in this thread for months, for obvious, Covid-19 related reasons.

However, today, for the first time in over three months, I visited my cheesemonger's shop, which has limited opening hours, reduced customer capacity (only two people are allowed in at any one time), the cheeses and the products stored well away from prying eyes, (which meant, as I wear glasses, that I couldn't read most of what was in the display cabinets), no tasting, (well, I won't deny that tasting cheeses while I debate and mull over a potential purchase is one of the pleasures of cheese shopping, and it also allows you to distinguish between what is good and what is really good).

Nevertheless, I emerged with a serious haul of cheeses: Morbier, Camembert, Stilton, Cashel Blue (mature), Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, Etivaz, Taleggio, St Nectaire, young Comte, Parmigiano Reggiano, and a small (wooden, or straw) tub of Le Delice.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Neither I, nor anyone else, has posted in this thread for months, for obvious, Covid-19 related reasons.

However, today, for the first time in over three months, I visited my cheesemonger's shop, which has limited opening hours, reduced customer capacity (only two people are allowed in at any one time), the cheeses and the products stored well away from prying eyes, (which meant, as I wear glasses, that I couldn't read most of what was in the display cabinets), no tasting, (well, I won't deny that tasting cheeses while I debate and mull over a potential purchase is one of the pleasures of cheese shopping, and it also allows you to distinguish between what is good and what is really good).

Nevertheless, I emerged with a serious haul of cheeses: Morbier, Camembert, Stilton, Cashel Blue (mature), Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, Etivaz, Taleggio, St Nectaire, young Comte, Parmigiano Reggiano, and a small tub of Le Delice.

I really need to get out and support my local Cheese Shop. Thanks for the reminder!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Purchased a few cheeses today at a few different stalls in the farmers' market & the cheesemonger's: Gorgonzola; Taleggio; Brie; St Nectaire; goat's Gouda; goat's truffle cheese; Roquefort; Bleu d'Auvergne, & Comte.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Its getting better. I assume you have a bottle or two of decent red to finish the trifecta?

Not today.

Mmmm.

"Trifecta" is such a lovely, evocative, noun.

But I will not deny that some decent French & Italian red wines are to be found dwelling in a darkened room that does double duty as both washing machine room & cellar. My suitcases live there, too, between journeys or trips abroad.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Most news outlets are headlining the Man Utd Leicester match, but Man Utd will surely win (barring a historic choke) so I don't think that will be the most interesting match of the day. The real drama is down at the bottom.

I want to root for Villa, but then again if they stay up it will be because Sheffield United failed to beat them a few weeks ago due to a glaring refereeing error and a failure for VAR to check it...it would be survival due to luck/mistakes/a technicality. So if I have any allegiance today I suppose it is for Bournemouth, with the longest of long shots at survival.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Most news outlets are headlining the Man Utd Leicester match, but Man Utd will surely win (barring a historic choke) so I don't think that will be the most interesting match of the day. The real drama is down at the bottom.

I want to root for Villa, but then again if they stay up it will be because Sheffield United failed to beat them a few weeks ago due to a glaring refereeing error and a failure for VAR to check it...it would be survival due to luck/mistakes/a technicality. So if I have any allegiance today I suppose it is for Bournemouth, with the longest of long shots at survival.
Is there cheese involved in this match somehow?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Is there cheese involved in this match somehow?

The only cheese here is in my skull, for posting to the wrong thread! :oops:

Though, while I'm here, I should mention (and apologies of it has already come up), that I recently made some paneer and was shocked at how easy it was to do. Literally two ingredients: milk & lemon juice (or alternately vinegar). It was delicious and I feel foolish for ever having bought it from the store. And, to make things even more exciting, you can make ricotta with virtually the same process.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The only cheese here is in my skull, for posting to the wrong thread! :oops:

Though, while I'm here, I should mention (and apologies of it has already come up), that I recently made some paneer and was shocked at how easy it was to do. Literally two ingredients: milk & lemon juice (or alternately vinegar). It was delicious and I feel foolish for ever having bought it from the store. And, to make things even more exciting, you can make ricotta with virtually the same process.
Good info and enjoy the game:)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I bought a piece of Gouda Black Label today which I have not seen before. I sampled it first and it is quite hard with crystals and quite decent.

I'd imagine that a (Gouda) cheese with such crystals is very mature, possibly three years or older.

That would pair well with a rich beer.

Today, in the market, I had a choice of three different versions of Gouda; young, (mild), aged/mature (aged for around eighteen months to two years) and very mature, a deep orange coloured, rock hard, incredibly crystalline and flavoursome cheese that would have been aged for the best part of three years.

Personally, I prefer such a cheese in autumn or winter; today, my choice was the "mature" cheese.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I'd imagine that a (Gouda) cheese with such crystals is very mature, possibly three years or older.

That would pair well with a rich beer.

Today, in the market, I had a choice of three different versions of Gouda; young, (mild), aged/mature (aged for around eighteen months to two years) and very mature, a deep orange coloured, rock hard, incredibly crystalline and flavoursome cheese that would have been aged for the best part of three years.

Personally, I prefer such a cheese in autumn or winter; today, my choice was the "mature" cheese.
It is a gold/orange colour so quite mature. No rich beer on hand so it may have to wait a day or two. Some dark chocolate for dessert tonight after steaks on the BBQ and a nice Gran Reserva rioja.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is a gold/orange colour so quite mature. No rich beer on hand so it may have to wait a day or two. Some dark chocolate for dessert tonight after steaks on the BBQ and a nice Gran Reserva rioja.

The really mature Gouda has a colour not unlike deep apricot or orange and is stunning on a cheeseboard served with a rich wine, or beer.

Your repast this evening sounds lovely.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expos of 1969

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just thought I'd state that my oldest son is coming for a week on Friday, and we have scheduled Limburger and onions on pumpernickel for his late night arrival snack. ;);)

Sigh.

Whimper.

Yum.

Do enjoy.

Yesterday morning, I had goat's gouda with truffle, standard aged (rather than very aged, or very mature) Gouda, and Doruval with toast for breakfast.

Perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.