The choice between a 13" & 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chillaz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Chillaz macrumors newbie

Greetings, I'm completely unexperienced with Apple and the productions, however with my current HP laptop the buttons are falling off, the battery doesn't work if it's not being charged and the list goes on.

The thing is, I'll most likely have the money to buy either a standard 13" or 15" within 2 months and I've been reading these forums and other websites to gather information, and of course asked IRL friends.

So basically I'm quite certain it should be one of those, but I'm hearing rumors about a new MBP by the start of 2011 most likely.

Now I'm wondering if you think it's just 13" which will be changed the most, or will 15" be affected a lot - Since it's gear is a lot better (If I understood the things right :D).

I'm currently using my laptop in school everyday, and it's my last year so I'll be having some major assignment coming up around end of 2010 and until June.

I also need my laptop since I don't own a car, so I'll be doing school work while I wait at my job until it's my shift (Public traffic service, yay!)

So basically, if there isn't too much done with the 15" I'll most likely buy that, but I'm hoping some of you more clever people could answer that, since I'm horrible with specs inside laptops as well!

Thanks a lot.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First, a few questions to check which is best.

What size is your current laptop?
    How long is your commute?
    What are the main usage (besides school) on your laptop?
    Do you carry your laptop everywhere?

3. Chillaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a laptop which is 17" dv61220s0 or something, I believe it's called!

It's both the travelling and the time I have to spend before my shift begins, since I have to arrive some time earlier, due to the times of my shifts often don't compute with the travel times. I'd say around 30-40 mins travel each way, and 1-2 hours before work. This varies a lot though.

The main usage is a little gaming, not very strict - Soft games as warcraft or old CS 1.6

I'm not carrying my laptop everywhere, and I wish to use it for when I'm going university next year. For school and job days I'll carry it as well, but I have no issues carrying my big 17" widescreen atm :)

ty for reply

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The I suggest a 15". Gives you great battery life, a decent smaller size package. Little bit of weight, but since the Mac won't be hauled around, that's ok. Light gaming requires a bit a of power, so a 330M should do fine.

Also, since this computer is going to be used in the future for university, the newer CPU will be better as Core 2 Duo tech is outdated by now.

5. Scorecard macrumors member

Looks like you'll love the 15in. You already are carrying a 17" and 15" will seem like a gem in weight/size compared to your current laptop. The current 15" lineup too will play games relatively well for your needs and be much better than the 13" for now and for future purposes.

Go with the 15" Between the 3 models there isn't a huge performance difference from the bottom to the top of the line. Pick whatever fits your price range.

6. Chillaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I cannot wait then to have the money for a 15"! I'll be nice to finally have a delete button, f1 etc :D

Cannot wait to become "One of the family" Creepy line :D

- TY!

7. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Don't forget to get the student discount.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

I am also suggesting the 15" there wont be huge upgrades next year and the current one is a very respectable machine on all accounts, post up when you get it =D

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yeah buy now, they just ran speed bumps like 2 weeks ago.
    I'd also suggest the 15", its a great machine.

10. mk1ap macrumors member

Since the OP said he will have enough money in 2 months might as well wait for the next update.

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

hmmm well if you are waiting the full two months it might be worth it to wait for the next one. (Also might not be, apple will be apple)
    Student discount is a definite! don't want to forget that