The Cost Of Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclaptop, May 12, 2011.

1. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

According to an iPhone user, Apple's multitasking vastly increases data usage. At the end of each day, he double tapped and deliberately forced nearly every app to close.

Obviously this is a huge task to do daily, yet once he did, he no longer incurred the extra charges for exceeding his data plan by nearly double.

This is the second negative news report I've read today, about how Apple's products adversely impact the customer. It sure makes one wonder how much longer Apple can con the users before they wake up and confront Apple about their evil ways.

Source
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/218362/atandt_data_plan_lawsuit_could_stem_from_ios_issue.html

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes. A 20-second activity nightly is a tremendous undertaking.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

The iphone needs a better instruction manual. This would be simple to let customers know how to close apps.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I close all my apps every night. I have small fingers so I can close three at a time by just putting them together real tight and pressing those little "x" buttons at the same time. It takes about ten seconds. Not that big of deal.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to implement a kill all apps

6. Macist macrumors 6502a

I get true unlimited data with the 3 network here in the UK. That's the way to get the most out a smartphone.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That article is fundamentally wrong: iOS does not continue to run apps in the background, apart from a few well defined services or 10 minutes for task completion, apps are suspended a soon as you hit the home button.
    Of course, if you are streaming Internet audio in the background, you will continue to use data, but apart from this, the article is misinformed scaremongering garbage

8. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

This morning I checked the data usage on my iPhone. I haven't left the house for several days and so my connection should have been exclusively wifi. But my cellular network usage says 44.4 MB sent and 110MB received in the last 2 days 16 hours. My O2 plan is now (since upgrade) inclusive of 500MB/month. At this rate I could easily go over my allowance. What is going on? (BTW, I have not had any indication that my home wifi has been down). :confused:

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Some people are clueless.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I didn't even know you could close multiple apps at once! I just tried this and it works, I can only do two at a time, but it's an improvement.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

SECOND REPORT!? APPLE EVIL!?

Dude please…:rolleyes:

12. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Same here plus when I'm at home I'm connected to WiFi.

13. circa100 macrumors newbie

The issue here is more to do with how the network treats data use - I have been stung in the UK and while roaming by streaming video while in WiFi coverage & then going out of range. With the process sat in the background I have used data from my allocation unexpectedly.

O2 acknowledged a billing problem for the roaming use and erased the cost from my account. For the UK use they put it down to user error.
    Now I ensure all streaming processes are killed after I've finished with them.

In my opinion the issues lie between 3G coverage & WiFi & how the phone is connecting to transfer data. It’s hard to know if this is a network or handset issue.

For the record - I work in comms!

14. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Or ppl could stop being so lazy, seriously it doesn't even take more than 10 seconds to close like 20 apps, I just tested it.

Ever tried closing apps one by one on an Andriod...? Thanks Apple for being the best you can be :D

15. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I just use RemoveBG and have it set to cancel all multitasking with a gesture... so for me it takes 1 second to close apps. Gotta love Jailbreaking!

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Seriously, it wouldn't hurt iOS to have a gesture to kill all apps/clear the app history. Why? Because....

1. Some apps do run some processes in the background, even if it is not true multitasking per se.
    2. Users might not want their history of app use to be displayed for reasons of privacy.
    3. Some users would like the reassurance that the network is not being accessed while the app is suspended. I note that Apple puts up the purple arrow for GPS activity, but they do not offer the user a way of determining which apps are sending information and what that information is.

17. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I do find it humorous where Steve Jobs said a task list was lame - guess what we've got?

18. HazyCloud, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Ho-lee crap! I had no idea you could close more than one at a time. Thank you!

Topic: Even if iOS does suspend apps in the background, they still hold a ton of RAM. Here's an example.

In the first image, I launched 12 different games and no other apps. Notice the amount of RAM. The second image is less than a minute later with all 12 games closed from the mutitasking tray. Big difference. (Not jailbroken)

Of course there are apps like Trapster that can run constantly in the background if you allow them to, but I don't think the writer was using anything like that.

Attached Files:

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

And it would take 1 second to kill all apps. What if you had 60 or 100, who wants to seat there and have to close every app one by one.

20. maclaptop thread starter macrumors 65816

maclaptop

1) Why get so upset, its just an attention getting word.

2) The article I linked to was for the purpose of discussion, nothing more. I don't believe everything I read, yet I do take it in.

3) I've never owned a perfect tech product yet.

4) My new MBP & MBA's are the best to date.

So what's to be upset over? About the only true issue is Apple playing God.

As far as their products I certainly would not waste my time discussing them if I was not happy and passionate about them. I'm an outspoken, Apple product enthusiast. I talk about what's good, as well as what I believe needs improvement.

I've purchased & enjoyed over 15 PowerBooks, MacBook Pros, Airs, and that's not even counting the new Mac Pro etc. I'm not bragging its just a fact. That's a sign of my belief in Apple. No one would make the investment I have, for over a decade, if they were unsatisfied.

By pointing out their shortcomings (like every other computer or smartphone maker has) we are allowing Apple to hear from their customers.

Its as simple as that. :)

(posted via iPhone 4)

21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

22. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

It's not a shortcoming. It's FUD. The entire premise of this post is wrong. "Frozen" apps neither consume battery nor do they send data. People asking for "kill all apps" functionality fundamentally do not understand how iOS multitasking works.

23. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I understand that frozen apps don't drain the battery but it would be nice to delete or kill all the frozen apps at once. Sometimes it takes longer looking for an app in the multitasking bar than it would be to just reopen the app.

24. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You don't need to open it from the multitasking bar. Open it from the normal Springboard, it will still reopen from the frozen state.

25. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

And what if you have 20 apps frozen that you don't need and you want them all closed you have to manually close all of them. If you could close all of them at once that would be better. That's the only thing I don't like about how iOS multitasking.