The Craigs List Gouging Begins

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CTYankee, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I'm seeing the base 16GB marked up to $700 and even a 64GB 3G model for $1300. Can't say I blame them, people will pay extra just to have one a few days sooner.

I propose those of us who simply wanted one for themselves, email these sellers, propose higher offers (play on their greed). Perhaps arranging a meeting a Starbucks for all the local sellers. You know...tell a seller you'll meet him at such and such a place. Ask how you can recognize him. Then tell the next seller to meet you at that place and that you look like that guy and so on. Get them all to the same place looking for you but in fact they all just meet each other. To top it off you can just be sitting there quietly taking it all in.

2. CTYankee, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011

CTYankee thread starter macrumors 6502

HA! One guy I emailed with an offer over his asking price replied back asking if it was a mistake, he then goes on to say if I meant $100 less (under his asking price) he would take that. Gee, thanks for rejecting my higher offer and letting me pay less than you were asking.

definitely not, but what a great youtube video that would make.

3. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Who cares? Just ignore it. No amount of stressing about it is ever going to change anything. What you're seeing is basic human nature in action.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, seriously. Want to blame someone, blame the buyers. Without a market, sellers won't exist.

Might as well shout at the rain for all the good complaining about it would do.

5. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

After spending a good portion of the night calling around town for my friend and finding nothing, we tried our craigslist. He wants a 16gb wifi only. Every craigslist seller had one for no less than 700.

He'll wait.

6. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Does it really matter? Whenever you have supply < demand you will have inflated prices in the "black market". Who cares. If you don't want to pay that much don't. This same thing happened with PS3, Xbox360...etc.

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Yeah this is unfortunately a battle you won't win OP. It steams me as well but calling up and doing what you're talking about doing is just lame. Ignore it and move on.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, it sucks OP, but there really isn't anything you can do to stop it. If people are stupid enough to pay those prices rather than wait a couple of weeks, then they are the problem not the sellers.

9. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

People on craigslist selling iPad 2's for outrageous prices

I was searching for 1st gen used iPad's for sale on craigslist, but couldn't help but notice some postings for iPad 2's with outrageous prices.

Sealed new iPad 2, black, 64GB, WIFI only... $1500!! (writes in his ad, "Serious inquiries only")

Here is another winner that "opened" the box and started up the iPad "just to test" Not even sealed...

iPad 2 64GB WiFi + 3G (AT&T) White for $1050. And writes in his ad, "Price is $1,050 FIRM. Lower offers will be ignored."
    I figure once the seal is broken the price goes down $100 from the retail of $829

I'm thinking about being a perspective buyer and having them drive to a starbucks and wait for me while I never just show up. Rip-off artists.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

somehow I don't see anyone watching your youtube video ... watching paint dry is about as appealing

and to the CL sellers ... I am sure they will be swamped with Nigerian buyers

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, that's what SHE said... :cool:

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't understand? If you don't like the price, don't buy it. If it's too high, no one else will either. BTW, there are other threads on this already.

13. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

14. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

After doing some Googling based on phone numbers in Craigslist ads, I found a nice girl selling a white 32 for $640. Typing on it right now!

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Basic economic principle of supply vs demand.

People will pay that because they don't want to wait.

1050 isn't absurd for a 64gb wifi+3g. That cost 829+TAX making it close to 1k.

16. kalex macrumors 65816

Listing it and selling it are 2 different things. Everybody is trying to monetize on them. Yesterday CL was filled with people selling their place in line. Today its filled with ipad2s. There is so much competition to sell these that these morons are pushing their own prices down.

I guess everybody is trying to recoup hours of standing in line. Give it a week or so and prices will level down after initial "gold prospectors" go away

17. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Capitalism in its finest hour.
    The marketplace will ultimately decide the price ;^)

18. md63 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Many people are buying iPads to send to Europe. I sold my 32gb 3G this morning to a guy who doing just that. Apple causes this by not having enough supply at release. I made a nice profit and plan to wait for the iPad 3.

19. kalex macrumors 65816

No he is not. its actually a good idea. Make them work for their money. From what I'm seeing on NYC CL based on the current listings, most of the sales in NYC were to scalpers who are now reselling them. I would actually blame Apple for this. They are the ones who didn't allow preorders and wanted lines and fanfare outside of their stores. Only problem I see with this is that legitimate buyers who wanted to actually use them are now forced to either wait or buy at inflated prices. Its same thing that happens with concert tickets when they are sold out in first 5 minutes and then appear everywhere at inflated prices.

20. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Free country. Isn't America great?

Move along.

21. kalex macrumors 65816

22. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

There's nothing wrong with making a profit... Apple does the same thing.. How much does it cost to make an iphone. Just around $200... Look how much they sell them for without a contract.. Same thing.. They have to make a buck..

James

23. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Where there is a buyer there is a seller. Both agreed on price if the transaction goes through.

Many of those people who stood in line for many hours paid way more than that depending on what their time is worth. To me, time IS money...

24. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree. A seller is free to ask what he wants. If he/she prices too high, it won't sell. But if someone is willing to pay what he's asking, good for him/her.

Why did you quote me......it seems you agree with me.:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.