Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

The+Crown+Netflix.jpg

The life of Queen Elizabeth II starting in the early 1950s just prior to her corination with flashbacks. Very well done with Bertie, the Duke of Windsor and... Shirley Temple. ;) My wife says the critics have not been impressed with this, my guess is because it's on the slow side, not as flashy as The Tudors, but I believe they are maintaining a higher historical standard. As with Downton Abbey it's fun to see interpersonal conflicts raised to high level of intrique such as Elizabeth deciding her husband will manage her corination and being told that's quite impossible. :)

This is not PRSI and I have my critiques of organized religion, :) but it's very interesting the association of the Monarch with being chosen by God, anointed with Holy oil. Elizabeth even asked her mother in an early episode You don't really believe that? In essence the answer was yes. Interesting dynamics between Prince Edward (the King that abdicated) and the Royal Family. I'm liking John Lithgow as Churchill. Wondering what our U.K. Members think of his performance? It's ok if you don't like him. :)

Currently watching the intrigue of the radical changes to the corination Elizabeth's husband is proposing, like TV, blaspheme! :D

o-QUEEN-ELIZABETH-PATTERNS-2-facebook.jpg

An attractive young queen.​

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From what I have read, it has received quite good reviews in the UK media; they have applauded its production values, cast (which is first rate) and what they think seems to be a reasonably accurate reading of historical events and characters.

However, the gentleman in naval uniform beside the young Elizabeth in the photograph you have posted: I have to assume that that is meant to be George VI.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hm.

Glad you are enjoying it.

At the time of his marriage in 1947, he held the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, not Admiral - the wedding photographs make that quite clear - as he was still a serving officer.

Don't "Hm" it until you you've seen it. :D Regarding Prince Phillip's uniform, my sources say he was a Commander when Elizabeth was corinated, but left active service at that time, however take a gander at the following photo, he seems to have gained quite a bit of gold on the sleeve somewhere along he line. :) Now could that be a function of being made a Prince or maybe an honorary admiral? I'm speculating on the latter.

945786-110611-prince-philip.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Don't "Hm" it until you you've seen it. :D Regarding Prince Phillip's uniform, my sources say he was a Commander when Elizabeth was corinated, but left active service at that time, however take a gander at the following photo, he seems to have gained quite a bit of gold on the sleeve somewhere along he line. :) Now could that be a function of being made a Prince or maybe an honorary admiral? I'm speculating on the latter.

945786-110611-prince-philip.jpg

When they married, he was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, - and was still a serving officer, remaining - formally - in the Navy until 1952, although sources suggest that his actual active career ended in 1951. Anyway, in his naval career, he made it to Commander, which was the actual rank he held when Elizabeth was crowned in 1953.

Obviously, both as a reserve officer, and as a Royal Prince, further promotions came his way, and he is clearly entitled to wear the uniform of Flag Rank, but yes, I assume that it is honorary.

However, my point about the photograph posted a while back was that Philip would not have worn an Admiral's braid when he married Elizabeth, as he was a serving officer with the rank of Lieutenant - check the wedding pictures of the time.
[doublepost=1478527427][/doublepost]If opportunity permits, I'll certainly take a look at it - it has received very good reviews in the UK media.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I enjoyed Season 1. No heads literally rolled, but there were casualties in support of the monarchy and behind the scenes maneuvering. Reminds me of the phrase needs of the Navy. Your personal life comes in second. :)

A Spoiler if you are not familiar

What was done to Princess Margaret preventing her from marrying the divorced man she loved was the saddest part of this season. A couple who put off their marriage for 2 years separated with the promise of a free path, which was a lie, hypocrites in the cabinet who were divorced but were against the marriage, the leaders of the Church of England who refused to cooperate despite their church being created for the express purpose of assisting a King to get out of his marriage, and a Queen, head of the Church who bows to pressure instead of standing up to the forces standing between her and what she thought was right.

Princess Margaret’s Affair on The Crown Has a Heartbreaking, Real-Life Back Story

Reactions: bandrews

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife loves this show. We started this show at the same time we started WestWorld - she definitely prefers The Crown by a huge margin.

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
About three episodes in. So far so good. Matt Smith does a young Philip quite well. A good period dramas such as this is worth dozens of films. I can't say I agree with Lithgow's casting. Though my personal dislike for him may be affecting my opinion. What's rather interesting is the glasses of scotch the camera focuses in on from time to time. To my knowledge, the glasses look neat yet Churchill wasn't known to drink his scotch neat, but watered down from his days in the service, when water quality was poor. Still a valuable mixture these days when traveling and not having access to bottled water.

They captured Philip's habit of making colorful remarks rather well. Nothing overt or on purpose, but what someone wouldn't view as respectful in the lower classes. His remarks are more daring these days simply because times have changed. Unfortunately, while the man, who is quite old now, does a lot of good and makes many visits each year at his age, people will remember him simply for his demeaning remarks. The color grading of the series is rather good. The camera goes near gray during sad periods of the series and goes very colorful such as that in Africa when the future Queen at that time and Philip are exploring the land.

Last edited:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
When they married, he was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, - and was still a serving officer, remaining - formally - in the Navy until 1952, although sources suggest that his actual active career ended in 1951. Anyway, in his naval career, he made it to Commander, which was the actual rank he held when Elizabeth was crowned in 1953.

Obviously, both as a reserve officer, and as a Royal Prince, further promotions came his way, and he is clearly entitled to wear the uniform of Flag Rank, but yes, I assume that it is honorary.

However, my point about the photograph posted a while back was that Philip would not have worn an Admiral's braid when he married Elizabeth, as he was a serving officer with the rank of Lieutenant - check the wedding pictures of the time.
[doublepost=1478527427][/doublepost]If opportunity permits, I'll certainly take a look at it - it has received very good reviews in the UK media.

That photo isn't from their wedding - it is post-ascension (possibly also post-coronation) as her father is absent.

PDUBOKC

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2017
OKC or Palm Springs
Hm.

Glad you are enjoying it.

At the time of his marriage in 1947, he held the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, not Admiral - the wedding photographs make that quite clear - as he was still a serving officer.
I love this show. I have watched it over and over and over. I've always been a great Anglophile----this just whets my appetite for my next hop over the pond to my little flat in Holland Park. PDUB

TechSavvy82

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
United Kingdom
I've just finished this series last week and it's actually unbelievable.

...and I'm yet to find someone who would disagree.

I must admit, I've never really taken such a strong interest in the royals before now, but this show made me ask so many questions about real life for our royal family in-particular.

After much researching I found out so many great trivia facts and stats about Queen Elizabeth and the royals, this was one of my favourites:

https://medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/the-travels-of-queen-elizabeth-map.aspx

If you enjoyed the crown series, I would really suggest giving it a read! Some of this is a real eye opener.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m 4 Episodes into Season 2 and am enjoying this as a good historical drama. The mid 50’s UK-Egyptian conflict centered on the Suez Canel was interesting along with Phillip’s unhappiness catering to the demands of the Crown, the duel associated with Elizabeth sister’s (Margaret) almost fiancée, and her sister’s continued unhappiness.

I've just finished this series last week and it's actually unbelievable.

...and I'm yet to find someone who would disagree.

I must admit, I've never really taken such a strong interest in the royals before now, but this show made me ask so many questions about real life for our royal family in-particular.

After much researching I found out so many great trivia facts and stats about Queen Elizabeth and the royals, this was one of my favourites:

https://medicaltravelcompared.co.uk/the-travels-of-queen-elizabeth-map.aspx

If you enjoyed the crown series, I would really suggest giving it a read! Some of this is a real eye opener.
Unbelievable as a false story or unbelievable that it could have happened? I assume the latter. :) I’ll check out your link.

Last edited:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I’m 4 Episodes into Season 2 and am enjoying this as a good historical drama. The mid 50’s UK-Egyptian conflict centered on the Suez Canel was interesting along with Phillip’s unhappiness catering to the demands of the Crown, the duel associated with Elizabeth sister’s (Margaret) almost fiancée, and her sister’s continued unhappiness.

Unbelievable as a false story or unbelievable that it could have happened? I assume the latter. :) I’ll check out your link.

I found myself, pretty much in every episode, saying "that never happened". Googled it and found that not only did it happen but every detail in the costume had been copied. Really fascinating stuff - although I'm sure some of the dialogue has been sexed up a little. Still, great TV.

Olivia Colman and H B-C as Queen and Princess M for Series 3!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S2:Ep6- Vergangerheit Excellent episode that reveals the Duke of Windsor to be a Nazi Collaborator and if not part of the Royal Family could have been tried for treason.

A15E1A6A-A5B7-4C58-AA1F-BE5887C465C0.jpeg

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
S2:Ep6- Vergangerheit Excellent episode that reveals the Duke of Windsor to be a Nazi Collaborator and if not part of the Royal Family could have been tried for treason.

I've been binge watching both series one and series two and must say that I find them excellent.

The scripts, production values, and acting are superb, (Claire Foy and Matt Smith as Elizabeth and Philip are excellent, I thought John Lithgow's Churchill first rate, - and most of the other cast members exceptionally good, while Alex Jennings as the embittered, and snidely bitchy, Duke of Windsor is an absolute scene-stealer) and the history is very well researched and exceedingly solid.

Reactions: Huntn and yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I've been binge watching both series one and series two and must say that I find them excellent.

The scripts, production values, and acting are superb, (Claire Foy and Matt Smith as Elizabeth and Philip are excellent, I thought John Lithgow's Churchill first rate, - and most of the other cast members exceptionally good, while Alex Jennings as the embittered, and snidely bitchy, Duke of Windsor is an absolute scene-stealer) and the history is very well researched and exceedingly solid.

Remind me, was the Duke of Windsor an actual collaborator or merely a sympathizer (as many in the UK and US back then)?
Agree on John Lithgow, wonderful performance! I also love the actor that plays Tommy Lascelles (one day I'll read Lascelles' diary).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Remind me, was the Duke of Windsor an actual collaborator or merely a sympathizer (as many in the UK and US back then)?
Agree on John Lithgow, wonderful performance! I also love the actor that plays Tommy Lascelles (one day I'll read Lascelles' diary).

The actor who plays Tommy Lascelles also looks like him - and what a superb performance.

Re the Duke of Windsor, he was, I think, to some extent, both collaborator and sympathiser, though the edges between both roles are blurred.

While he was certainly a Nazi sympathiser, (and that sneering, bitchy, self-serving and self-pitying performance turned in by Alex Jennings is utterly spell-binding - the voice-overs of his scathing, self-absorbed and self-serving letters read while he is about his business is brilliant drama - simply superb), when I read books such as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, it was made clear from German sources (that the Americans had by then) that he was certainly extraordinarily sympathetic to the Nazis, and was clearly in line to be restored to his throne as King (with, I assume, his complete approval) had the Germans ever managed to conquer the UK.

Other documents pertaining to this, if memory serves, were sealed (by the British) under a 100 year rule - rather than the normal 30 year rule - which tells its own story; if this material was benign, I doubt it would be sealed, or would have been sealed for such a long time.

However, US sources (based on German sources) - which was made clear in the episode - and German sources are not sealed, to my knowledge.

Nevertheless, enough seems to be dribbling out, or seeping out, from sources previously difficult to obtain access to, to suggest a greater enthusiasm for what the Nazis had to offer the world (driven, in part, by bitterness at his fate post Abdication - they were to be the means whereby he could be restored to his throne - the controversy, if and when that emerges, may well lie in the details of whatever deal may have been discussed or struck with the Germans to bring that about) that was officially admitted at the time or for a good while later.

I also suspect a sort of gentle and subtle softening of public, and historical, opinion, in advance of the release of this material, in terms of acclimatising them to the extent of his links with (and enthusiasm for) elements of the Nazi regime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The actor who plays Tommy Lascelles also looks like him - and what a superb performance.

Re the Duke of Windsor, he was, I think, to some extent, both collaborator and sympathiser, though the edges between both roles are blurred.

While he was certainly a Nazi sympathiser, (and that sneering, bitchy, self-serving and self-pitying performance turned in by Alex Jennings is utterly spell-binding - the voice-overs of his scathing, self-absorbed and self-serving letters read while he is about his business is brilliant drama - simply superb), when I read books such as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, it was made clear from German sources (that the Americans had by then) that he was certainly extraordinarily sympathetic to the Nazis, and was clearly in line to be restored to his throne as King (with, I assume, his compete approval) had the Germans ever managed to conquer the UK.

Other documents pertaining to this, if memory serves, were sealed (by the British) under a 100 year rule - rather than the normal 30 year rule - which tells its own story; if this material was benign, I doubt it would be sealed, or would have been sealed for such a long time.

Nevertheless, enough seems to be dribbling out, or seeping out, from sources previously difficult to obtain access to, to suggest a greater enthusiasm for what the Nazis had to offer the world (driven, in part, by bitterness as his fate post Abdication - they were to be the means whereby he could be restored to his throne - the controversy, if and when that emerges, may well lie in the details of whatever deal may have been discussed or struck with the Germans to bring that about) that was officially admitted at the time or for a good while later.

I also suspect a sort of gentle and subtle softening of public, and historical, opinion, in advance of the release of this material, in terms of acclimatising them to the extent of his links with (and enthusiasm for) elements of the Nazi regime.

This is truly incredible, I had no idea that documents are still sealed under such circumstances. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

This makes me appreciate The Crown even more! I can't wait for season 3. I will miss Claire Foy and her astounding, beautiful, charming, elegant performance and persona.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is truly incredible, I had no idea that documents are still sealed under such circumstances. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

This makes me appreciate The Crown even more! I can't wait for season 3. I will miss Claire Foy and her astounding, beautiful, charming, elegant performance and persona.
It’s an unusual artistic choice to replace aging characters with new older actors. I understand it is a more realistic choice, but also recognize they can do wonders with makeup. ;) I remember Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, and James Dean in Giant, one of my favorite movies. The best looking old characters I can remember! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.