The Crown (Netflix Series)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Huntn, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

[​IMG]
    The life of Queen Elizabeth II starting in the early 1950s just prior to her corination with flashbacks. Very well done with Bertie, the Duke of Windsor and... Shirley Temple. ;) My wife says the critics have not been impressed with this, my guess is because it's on the slow side, not as flashy as The Tudors, but I believe they are maintaining a higher historical standard. As with Downton Abbey it's fun to see interpersonal conflicts raised to high level of intrique such as Elizabeth deciding her husband will manage her corination and being told that's quite impossible. :)

This is not PRSI and I have my critiques of organized religion, :) but it's very interesting the association of the Monarch with being chosen by God, anointed with Holy oil. Elizabeth even asked her mother in an early episode You don't really believe that? In essence the answer was yes. Interesting dynamics between Prince Edward (the King that abdicated) and the Royal Family. I'm liking John Lithgow as Churchill. Wondering what our U.K. Members think of his performance? It's ok if you don't like him. :)

Currently watching the intrigue of the radical changes to the corination Elizabeth's husband is proposing, like TV, blaspheme! :D

[​IMG]
    An attractive young queen.​

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

From what I have read, it has received quite good reviews in the UK media; they have applauded its production values, cast (which is first rate) and what they think seems to be a reasonably accurate reading of historical events and characters.

However, the gentleman in naval uniform beside the young Elizabeth in the photograph you have posted: I have to assume that that is meant to be George VI.

3. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

It's Prince Phillip.

And the series is excellent.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm.

Glad you are enjoying it.

At the time of his marriage in 1947, he held the rank of Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, not Admiral - the wedding photographs make that quite clear - as he was still a serving officer.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't "Hm" it until you you've seen it. :D Regarding Prince Phillip's uniform, my sources say he was a Commander when Elizabeth was corinated, but left active service at that time, however take a gander at the following photo, he seems to have gained quite a bit of gold on the sleeve somewhere along he line. :) Now could that be a function of being made a Prince or maybe an honorary admiral? I'm speculating on the latter.

[​IMG]

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When they married, he was a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, - and was still a serving officer, remaining - formally - in the Navy until 1952, although sources suggest that his actual active career ended in 1951. Anyway, in his naval career, he made it to Commander, which was the actual rank he held when Elizabeth was crowned in 1953.

Obviously, both as a reserve officer, and as a Royal Prince, further promotions came his way, and he is clearly entitled to wear the uniform of Flag Rank, but yes, I assume that it is honorary.

However, my point about the photograph posted a while back was that Philip would not have worn an Admiral's braid when he married Elizabeth, as he was a serving officer with the rank of Lieutenant - check the wedding pictures of the time.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2016 ---
    If opportunity permits, I'll certainly take a look at it - it has received very good reviews in the UK media.

7. Dingster101 macrumors member

I thought this was well done. Flashbacks were a bit annoying but good still.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I enjoyed Season 1. No heads literally rolled, but there were casualties in support of the monarchy and behind the scenes maneuvering. Reminds me of the phrase needs of the Navy. Your personal life comes in second. :)

A Spoiler if you are not familiar

What was done to Princess Margaret preventing her from marrying the divorced man she loved was the saddest part of this season. A couple who put off their marriage for 2 years separated with the promise of a free path, which was a lie, hypocrites in the cabinet who were divorced but were against the marriage, the leaders of the Church of England who refused to cooperate despite their church being created for the express purpose of assisting a King to get out of his marriage, and a Queen, head of the Church who bows to pressure instead of standing up to the forces standing between her and what she thought was right.

Princess Margaret’s Affair on The Crown Has a Heartbreaking, Real-Life Back Story

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My wife loves this show. We started this show at the same time we started WestWorld - she definitely prefers The Crown by a huge margin.

10. Cranehandler macrumors member

I think I will start watching this. I am really looking for a series just to kill time over the weekend. Thanks!

11. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Planning to watch this, I've heard nothing but good things! :)

13. Zenithal, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016

Zenithal macrumors 68040

About three episodes in. So far so good. Matt Smith does a young Philip quite well. A good period dramas such as this is worth dozens of films. I can't say I agree with Lithgow's casting. Though my personal dislike for him may be affecting my opinion. What's rather interesting is the glasses of scotch the camera focuses in on from time to time. To my knowledge, the glasses look neat yet Churchill wasn't known to drink his scotch neat, but watered down from his days in the service, when water quality was poor. Still a valuable mixture these days when traveling and not having access to bottled water.

They captured Philip's habit of making colorful remarks rather well. Nothing overt or on purpose, but what someone wouldn't view as respectful in the lower classes. His remarks are more daring these days simply because times have changed. Unfortunately, while the man, who is quite old now, does a lot of good and makes many visits each year at his age, people will remember him simply for his demeaning remarks. The color grading of the series is rather good. The camera goes near gray during sad periods of the series and goes very colorful such as that in Africa when the future Queen at that time and Philip are exploring the land.

14. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Really enjoyed watching Season 1. Also looking forward to Season 2.

15. bandrews macrumors 6502a

That photo isn't from their wedding - it is post-ascension (possibly also post-coronation) as her father is absent.

16. PDUBOKC macrumors newbie

PDUBOKC

I love this show. I have watched it over and over and over. I've always been a great Anglophile----this just whets my appetite for my next hop over the pond to my little flat in Holland Park. PDUB