The Crown on AW3 is actually LED

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wesk702, Sep 9, 2017.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Attached Files:

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's a different model, it doesn't prove anything.

3. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I have to agree. It being a different model doesn’t reveal anything. It doesn’t look LED to me, it looks like a solid colour/material. It’s going to be very interesting to see what they do with this — whether it will be a customisable option or how it will work with other band colours.

4. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

That should be good for battery life.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't see why Apple would do this. If anything, a flashing or constant LED Crown would be distracting. This doesn't seem Apple like to me. Furthermore, it merely could be a cosmetic feature.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I personally don't think it's an LED either, but it's an interesting thought considering some watchOS 4 features. The new flashlight in Control Centre offers a flashing white and flashing red screen to attract attention when running. Is it outside the realm of possibility that we see this replicated on a crown with a dual-colour LED which could also act as a notification light?

Again, I would say this is far more unlikely than likely, but an interesting thought.

7. Newtons Apple, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Pretty poor image. I do not see any led on the crown.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2017 ---
    Better image. Not a LED but it is nice red according to Endgaget.

IMG_0859.JPG

8. JohnApples macrumors 65816

99% sure it's just a "colored in" crown, like how the SS and Edition AW have it.

Don't really see a purpose in putting an LED in the crown for notifications, as it will always be facing away from the user for most people.

9. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Maybe that's just a special edition ProductRED Apple Watch that they're releasing with the new batch, and the other ones will look normal.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 9, 2017 ---
    The face in that picture is a new type of face, too. I thought it was chronograph or utility but I checked and its neither. Seems like a special edition type of watch that gets that red crown and that special face.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

From Engadget:

""A copy of iOS 11 in its final development stage has leaked online, and 9to5mac has dissected the software to reveal the secrets we're bound to hear during Apple's upcoming event. One of the publication's most notable discoveries is an image of what seems to be the LTE-enabled Apple Watchfrom within the wearable's app. It has a black Sport band, which indicates that the current bands will also fit the new model, and an eye-catching red Digital Crown. The most telling part of the image, though, is the watchface: it has a signal indicator in the middle that signifies cellular connection, as well as a phone and a navigation icon.""

11. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

So from that it would seem all series 3s are getting that red crown. Too bad because I wanted a series 3 but I don't love the look of that red...

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not sure if that suggests all Series 3s will have a red crown - quite possibly a Product Red special edition if they thought an all-red casing was too garish for a watch.

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It would have made more sense to use a product red sport band then. Red band on a black watch with red crown would look dope. I think making a product red watch where only the crown is red is silly.

14. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Yeah that’s the possibility I mentioned I was hoping for, but I was somewhat debunked. We’ll see in a couple days

15. DblHelix macrumors 6502

I am thinking it may be an led as well that will flash when you use the night running mode or whatever it is. Replacing the flashing or red screen that you currently have in watch os 4

16. wesk702 thread starter macrumors 68000

wesk702

Sorry, I took a zoomed in on a still from the 9to5mac video. You can see it in there just around the time they show the red crown.

17. friednoodles Suspended

It looks to me like it's exactly the same design as the existing glossy coloured crowns on the S2 Edition (black) and S0 Edition (red, blue and black).

18. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Could it simply be a visual way of distinguishing a LTE Watch from a normal model? Like the antennae bands on the iPad?

19. the future macrumors 65816

Maybe this is a LED that replaces the red dot on the screen when you have unread messages.

20. friednoodles Suspended

For what it's worth, that doesn't look like the Black sport band, either. It looks like either Concrete or a new darker grey colour?

21. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

A1E143C2-FF31-4A88-92E8-60913D7929FC.png

Tim Cook was seen wearing a Stainless Steel Apple Watch with a red crown tip, not LED.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am sure that someone on eBay will sell a sticker to cover your red crown.

You would let that be a deal breaker? LOL!

23. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Probably not, haha, but I’ve been looking at some regular watches I could get for the price and it may make me sway towards an alternative. For example, for the price of a SS Apple Watch I could get a Longines Conquest that’s 1000 feet waterproof and is a really fashionable, nice watch and will last for a lot longer than an Apple Watch.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Prefer this over my AW

IMG_3302.JPG
    How often will you use it at 1000ft?

Not really into fashion, like the utility of the AW when it works for me. Hope they have improved it.

25. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

Product RED items are always all red. Check out a Google Image Search.