The curse of the 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gonky, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

Had a hell of a time trying to get a 6+, I don't have a lot of disposable income but treat myself to a new iPhone each year as its my most used item (and after selling the old one doesn't work out to be hugely expensive) so did the usual routine after seeing the announcement last week. My gf is due an upgrade on her phone so wanted to do the same thing and go the cheaper SIM FREE route.

At about 7.45 we signed onto the Apple Online store via the app which has always worked, come 8am it messed up as I'm sure many of you know but we kept trying and eventually got an order - however the payment failed (for reasons I don't understand) three times. Forth time worked fine but by this point it was set to be delivered in 3-4 weeks, still a month away.

After much searching around to see if anybody would be selling them SIM FREE we noticed that the only people aside from Apple doing this were Phones 4U so placed an order there - they had stock for delivery on launch day! Less than three hours later the company went into administration.

So feeling somewhat cursed we decided to check the Apple reservation site countless times a day all week, no luck. We realised we were going to have to do the unthinkable: queue outside an Apple Store. The nearest to us is Southampton which is a very busy location covering a wide range.

Feeling embarrassed and somewhat lame we planned on leaving early this morning. As reports started coming in on the scarcity of the 6+ we became anxious and decided to leave our place at midnight to ensure we'd get a place near the front. A quick browse of Twitter however saw a tweet at about 9.30 saying there were already 40 people there.

We jumped in the car and sped there like mentals, when we parked the meter ****ed up and we got given an invalid ticket. Irritating. We hurriedly made our way to the store outside and were quite happy to see the line was not huge: we were about sixty in the queue.

I'm not going to lie about this, it was uncomfortable. Due to the rush we didn't have sufficient seating and just sat on old couch cushions. Thunder and lightning started along with the rain, we didn't really have suitable food and drink people were being complete sucks to everybody there.

We just shut up and made the best of a bad situation, not quite believing that we are this ****ing sad to be in a queue overnight for a phone. It would be worth it though for the one big treat of the year to ourselves.

Suddenly we noticed there were a disproportionate amount of Asians in the line, certainly a lot more as a percentage of Southanpton's population than you'd normally see. There seemed to be getting more and more.

Eventually as it began to get light the Apple staff came out and started taking reservations: it had been so long now that urinating and sleeping were very high on our list of priorities but still we were excited and discussed what we'd do if we couldn't get the model we wanted (64gb + in black, we'd settle for 128GB or a white one in either size even though we can't really afford it).

It was looking good until it became apparent that every Asian person was ordering two + models each, clearly to resell. You know where this is going - despite our pathetic adventure and camping out overnight like a couple of losers we got nothing. All of the + models had gone to the scalpers.

It was a fun drive home, at least once back one of the most relieving pisses of all time was had and of course the beauty of a nice bed after being plonked on the pavement felt lovely. However now we're feeling like ****, didn't get the phone we were really excited about and to top it off I have a ****ing headache.

I realise that it's just a phone and we're not moping around or anything - this really doesn't matter in the scheme of things - but after that series of unfortunate events I really wanted to vent. So thanks. FFFFUUUUUUUUUU

2. whirldy macrumors regular

whirldy

3. oregano76 macrumors newbie

Asian people should be banned from buying iPhone 6 Pluses

Bloomin' Asians how dare they buy stuff :rolleyes:

4. GreenWolf macrumors newbie

Hey Buddy,

Just wanted to write this to let you know your not alone. Like you I missed the pre order and no matter how many times I refreshed the reserves page in the week I got nothing. Anyway:

I went to the Kingston UK store, I arrived at 10:30 and was 60ish in line, around 90% of the people queue was Asian/Indian, a couple of huge people around me spoke English well but a few I started a conversation with just looked at me confused or needed their friend to translate. People kept turning up but It was quite fun and jovial (I brought myself a fold up chair and some food) apart from the drunks and clubbers who felt the need to shout abuse at everyone in the queue. This went on for a couple of hours until at around 2am it started raining. People went close to the building and under archways to get out of the rain which left big gaps in the queue.

A large group of African men turned up and jumped the queue, getting aggressive and threatening anyone who said anything, and refused to leave. This put everyone in huge queue back about 10 places. All the Indians and Asians couldn't believe it, how rude can these people be to push in huge queue!

Then around 4 pm all the Asian(middle Eastern Chinese mix) kids who were like 17-18 years old started swapping places constantly with there friends squeezing them in and queue jumping. This lost another 20 places and pushed everyone further back. Now it was me and the Indians who couldn't believe it. These Asian kids are taking such advantage of everyone's good nature!

Then at around 5 am people got all serious and stood up. Packing close against the building and making less of a sprawling queue, and one that you would get for a ride. It was about 2 people thick. Then suddenly out of huge woodwork, all the Indians family's arrived, and joined alongside the queue with their brothers and sisters, sons and daughters. This doubled the thickness of the queue, and I went from 100th to 200th in line. Now it was just me who couldn't believe it, absolutely everyone had pushed and queue jumped! It was terrible. They let 30 people in the store and then an apple employee walked down the queue shouting the 6+'s were all gone, taken by the scalpers.

I was disgusted, so I went and complained to the centre staff asking why they hadn't put up barriers or properly organised the queue to stop this and just got fobbed off.

I wasn't going to buy the 6 when I wanted the 6+ so I left my spot in the queue and drove home rather dejected.

It's terrible what the apple queues have become, just queue jumpers, pushers and scalpers so people who really want the phone to use and enjoy it can't get one. It was fine for Apple store employees to come 2 hours before when people queued from 3-4 hours before. Now they need to get it organised starting from the day before.

Finally a note to anyone considering queuing up at the Kingston Bentall Centre next year DO NOT DO IT, there are no barriers and you will be constantly pushed back by scalpers and peoples family member who have no respect for the queue or anyone.

5. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

chinese scalpers

they're always around when a new tech comes out so that they can buy a **** ton and resell them back in their country.

6. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

And now comes my favorite part of iPhone launch day - racism on MacRumors!

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

You mean scamming. No coincidence that every second bloke there is funneling cash out to western countries and driving up the property prices.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Might as well get used to it as it will get worst!

9. GreenWolf macrumors newbie

How is it racist to describe exactly what happen. I described people by their ethnicity because they were grouped thusly. I used no derogatory terms. You use that word far too freely.

Say anything to anyone who isn't of your race and your instantly a racist.

10. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

Why is their race relevant at all? Why couldn't you just say that peoples' families started to arrive and join them in the line?

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

It's not racism if it's fact dude.

12. erzhik macrumors 6502

Pretty sure every Apple store line was dominated by white people buying for their white children.

13. GreenWolf macrumors newbie

Because it was a trend grouped by ethnicity. A certain group was violent and rude, a certain group pushed and a certain groups family's all shows up en mass.

14. projectfx macrumors 6502

pssttt you should add that you have african and indian friends...

15. cornerexit macrumors regular

[​IMG]

You went through all that for a phone that you didn't get, and could have clicked a couple of times at home, remained patient, and you'd get one soon. Nope, needed to jump through every hoop imaginable and got the shaft. Hopefully you'll learn something from this.

16. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

The curse of the 6 Plus

Sorry OP. That really does suck. But like you said – in the grand scheme of things it matters little. You two will have your phones in a few weeks and laugh about last night.

And he's totally right about the people in line. Although there was another ethnic group or two other than Asians that we're doing the same thing. They were all buying two and keeping none of them. I estimated earlier that 80-90% of the people in the line I was in were there to buy phones to sell. it's really not cool to the people who just want a new iPhone.

17. nuckfan macrumors newbie

That Apple could have handled this launch better? That the Apple Store being down for hours screwed a lot of people?

18. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

I couldn't work this one out either..... People are people.

19. Anti-Scalper macrumors newbie

Agree with the first post in this thread. Where do they all come from? No wonder people have such a negative attitude towards all of them. Take a look at this photo I took this morning whilst wasting my time queuing for an iPhone. Spot anyone who looks like they really want the phone?

Attached Files:

20. leenak macrumors 68020

Because they are people, race has nothing to do it but obviously the story believes it does.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

As much as racism is a serious topic it begs the question that something more serious is going on. Order the phone online, it arrives in a few weeks. Be at peace with yourself. I think there is a large social experiment to see how many people would wait in line for a telephone. There's probably a group of people watching, taking notes to see how people interact and feel after getting or not getting a device after waiting 10 hours. They don't even pay you to be part of the experiment, you pay them!

22. leenak macrumors 68020

'them'? really?

23. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

To be fair if OP actually witnessed a lot of Asians buying 2 iPhones each in person it's not racist to report back something he physically witnessed happen. It would be racist to assume that every Asian in the line was going to do this.

24. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

What about those Polish scalpers?

Those Polish scalpers probably got those extra +'s, headed home and started power pounding these in celebration of their scalper bountiful return!

[​IMG]

25. SetHutBlue42 macrumors member

What difference does it make? If people want to buy the phone and then sell it for more money, who are you to complain? In fact, you are actually contributing to this behavior by being in the line in the first place. If people weren't so crazy about getting the new iPhone on the first day, there would be no reason for them to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.