Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

082458-da_vinci_code_ibookstore.jpg

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, titles from publisher Random House have already started populating Apple's iBookstore, at least in the United States. Popular titles such as Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code that have been absent from the iBookstore since its launch nearly a year ago are now available.

Random House yesterday announced that it has adopted the agency model favored by Apple for e-Book pricing, of course leading many to assume that the publishers content would be making its way to the iBookstore.

Random House is the last of the six largest book publishers to come to the iBookstore, and it seems likely that Apple will make mention of the addition at today's media event.

Article Link: 'The Da Vinci Code' and Other Random House Titles Appearing in iBookstore

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Apple does it again. First all the music labels weren't on board when they launched the music store, then again with iBooks. When will these corporations learn that Apple rules the roost right now and they need to play by Apple's rules?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't care until pricing is significantly less that of physical books.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes now its equal or higher wich is absurd.

moebius

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Well it finally happened.

I would hope to see books that are a little beyond the pure commercial taste too.

NightFox

macrumors 68030
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Imagine if this is all that this afternoon's event is about... :cool:

[Edit]

Come to think of it, random dots on the side of a house... and an invitation graphic revealing an iPad running iBooks*... let's face it, MacRumors readers have jumped to conclusions before on much less evidence than this!

*possibly

Last edited:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Apple does it again. First all the music labels weren't on board when they launched the music store, then again with iBooks. When will these corporations learn that Apple rules the roost right now and they need to play by Apple's rules?

It's not about Apple... although iTunes is a huge reseller of content, it's about digital distribution.

Music fought the change. TV fought the change. Movie studio's fought the change and now publishers are doing the same. But, all will submit eventually. It's where the distribution is going. Video games is next. My guess is within 5-10 years the book, music, video and game departments in places like Walmart will be one rack with minimal choice. Just like the film department that is all but gone from most stores.

In some ways this is exciting and sad at the same time. I miss the days of flipping through albums. Soon, flipping through magazines and books may be much of the same. But I do think this will take way more time to migrate than music. Maybe I'm wrong?

DotComName

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Very happy about this!
When I get the iPad 2 and start an ebook collection, I'll now have an even greater selection and won't have to search b&n app and kindle app. :)

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
It's not about Apple... although iTunes is a huge reseller of content, it's about digital distribution.

Music fought the change. TV fought the change. Movie studio's fought the change and now publishers are doing the same. But, all will submit eventually. It's where the distribution is going. Video games is next. My guess is within 5-10 years the book, music, video and game departments in places like Walmart will be one rack with minimal choice. Just like the film department that is all but gone from most stores.

In some ways this is exciting and sad at the same time. I miss the days of flipping through albums. Soon, flipping through magazines and books may be much of the same. But I do think this will take way more time to migrate than music. Maybe I'm wrong?

Soon you will die (like I as well :) and the future generations will not know what a CD / DVD actually is.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

You will be right, unfortunately

While the current and older generation still reads, I find the younger kids who grow up with "highlights" only reporting etc. have no attention span to even read a book.
If it's not embedded via the parents, it will go on like this their entire lives.

So, they will not want to bother to go to a book store and maybe not find the book they are looking for. Easier to just go online or wait for the movie.

The bookstores are trying to stem the tide by offering coffee, food etc. and an overall bistro atmosphere. Will not last though.

Sad:)

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007

You know the "printing" is the cheapest part of book, right?

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
Sweet. I can pay more for a text file version of DaVinci Code than the hardcover version I bought years ago.

And I get to only read it on iOS devices.

Heaven is here I tell you.:rolleyes:

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
I don't disagree, but I don't get why people think things should be cheaper just because they downloaded it...

Customers believe instinctively that e-books should be cheaper than the paper equivalent. There are no printing costs, packing costs, shipping costs or overheads on shelving. READ: People are just cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.