Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I don't disagree, but I don't get why people think things should be cheaper just because they downloaded it...

What is the average cost (by percent) of printing, distribution, reseller markup of a book?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
You will be right, unfortunately

While the current and older generation still reads, I find the younger kids who grow up with "highlights" only reporting etc. have no attention span to even read a book.
If it's not embedded via the parents, it will go on like this their entire lives.

So, they will not want to bother to go to a book store and maybe not find the book they are looking for. Easier to just go online or wait for the movie.

The bookstores are trying to stem the tide by offering coffee, food etc. and an overall bistro atmosphere. Will not last though.

Sad:)

Sad is the social experience is dying too. Texting is just not the same as talking to someone face to face. Or sipping your coffee while flipping through mags at Barnes and Noble and people watching.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
It's not about Apple... although iTunes is a huge reseller of content, it's about digital distribution.

Music fought the change. TV fought the change. Movie studio's fought the change and now publishers are doing the same. But, all will submit eventually. It's where the distribution is going. Video games is next. My guess is within 5-10 years the book, music, video and game departments in places like Walmart will be one rack with minimal choice. Just like the film department that is all but gone from most stores.

In some ways this is exciting and sad at the same time. I miss the days of flipping through albums. Soon, flipping through magazines and books may be much of the same. But I do think this will take way more time to migrate than music. Maybe I'm wrong?

That's what I meant when I said Apple, since they have been the leaders in pushing digital distribution of content (ultimately for their gain of course).

In the end as long as publishers realize that consumers want their content in an easy to access manner (digital distribution) then it is better for all, no matter which way they access that content, be it iTunes, Amazon, Kindle, etc.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
What is the average cost (by percent) of printing, distribution, reseller markup of a book?

I found this breakdown by someone claiming to be a publisher... looks about right from my experience.

Book Retail Price: $27.95.
Retailer (discount, staffing, rent, etc.) – $12.58. That’s 45%.
Author Royalties – $4.19. Exactly 15%.
Wholesaler – $2.80. Exactly 10%.
Pre-production (Publisher) - $3.55. That’s 12.7%.
Printing (Publisher) – $2.83. Translates to 10.125%.
Marketing (Publisher) – $2. That’s approximately 7.15%.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I'm finding a lot of non-fiction books are about 2x more expensive in the ibookstore than on the Kindle store.

And, how about a Mac or web version of your ibooks, Apple?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I hope there'd be a iBook reader on Kindle like there's Kindle reader on iOS.

Huh? The iPad is a multifunction device, it makes sense to have iBooks, Kindle, Barnes & Noble, etc. on it. The Kindle is very much a single-task device, with no real app store besides some games and social integration.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I don't disagree, but I don't get why people think things should be cheaper just because they downloaded it...

I think it should be cheaper because you get less for you money. For example I can not lead the book to my significant other/kids/friends. I can not resell the book when I'm done reading it, or give it to the public library. The price SHOULD reflect that.

room271

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Stick with the Kindle book store! You can then read your books on a wide variety of devices (including your phone, computer/iPad and Kindle if you have one).

Also, reading lengthy text on the iPad/iPhone is, for me at least, not a very good experience. Magazines are an exception to this - because of the pretty pictures.

For those who are interested, I do have a Kindle (since Christmas) and it is brilliant, battery lasts for the quoted 30 days, lots of good free books, screen is amazing. And a relatively inexpensive device (£109). Basically, I would recommend the Kindle for reading.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I think it should be cheaper because you get less for you money. For example I can not lead the book to my significant other/kids/friends. I can not resell the book when I'm done reading it, or give it to the public library. The price SHOULD reflect that.

I agree with you, you get a lot less tangible product for not a lot less buck. I know that they still have to written, published and all that.

Maybe its just because the only non tangible product we are used to buying online is software, and there's not a lot of difference between buying it in store or online, except you get an e-manual rather than a book. I believe that when buying a book we want to pass it round, which you can't do with an e-book.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I'm finding a lot of non-fiction books are about 2x more expensive in the ibookstore than on the Kindle store.

And, how about a Mac or web version of your ibooks, Apple?

Doesn't Amazon sell most of their books at a loss?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Customers believe instinctively that e-books should be cheaper than the paper equivalent. There are no printing costs, packing costs, shipping costs or overheads on shelving. READ: People are just cheap.

I don't see what is so wrong with expecting the lower cost to be passed on in lower prices.

Don't forget you also have no inventory cost. When publishers print books they need to guess how many they will sell and take the risk on printing them. That risk is removed with downloadable content.

Perhaps the better conclusion to draw from this is not so much that people are cheap but that publishers have a lot invested in printing and distribution channels and don't want to undermine their investment so are keeping e-books artificially expensive.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I found this breakdown by someone claiming to be a publisher... looks about right from my experience.

Book Retail Price: $27.95.
Retailer (discount, staffing, rent, etc.) – $12.58. That’s 45%.
Author Royalties – $4.19. Exactly 15%.
Wholesaler – $2.80. Exactly 10%.
Pre-production (Publisher) - $3.55. That’s 12.7%.
Printing (Publisher) – $2.83. Translates to 10.125%.
Marketing (Publisher) – $2. That’s approximately 7.15%.

Great info!
A link for people whom want to know where those numbers came from; http://ireaderreview.com/2009/05/03/book-cost-analysis-cost-of-physical-book-publishing/

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I don't see what is so wrong with expecting the lower cost to be passed on in lower prices.

Don't forget you also have no inventory cost. When publishers print books they need to guess how many they will sell and take the risk on printing them. That risk is removed with downloadable content.

Perhaps the better conclusion to draw from this is not so much that people are cheap but that publishers have a lot invested in printing and distribution channels and don't want to undermine their investment so are keeping e-books artificially expensive.

Exactly. With less cost to the consumer theoretically you should be able to sell more units. Even at a less amount of profit per unit (hard copy vs. digital copy) if you sell more units you could end up making more profit, theoretically . . .

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Then you should buy paper books. The convince of being able to carry around and own several books and not take up space, is not worth it to you.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I wonder if they're holding back the Harry Potter titles for the announcement or if there are licensing issues/separate negotiations involved there.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I guess this is nice but it would be much nicer if iBookstore was easier to browse through. It's a royal pain right now. I'm also surprised that they haven't put the bookstore support in iTunes. It would make things more convenient, and consistent, too. Ok, I'm done with my rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.