'The Daily' Available in App Store, In-App Subscriptions Now Supported

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your post dude! I thought I was going to go without any arbitrary, irrelevant-to-the-thread, anti-iPad comments this morning but you saved the day!

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

JohnnyQuest is correct. If you want to discuss the app, this is the thread for you. If you want to debate the merits of various news channels, this is not the place for you.

3. ryanflanders256 macrumors newbie

Rupert Murdoch is the slimeball who owns Fox News. Why is Apple partnering with him?

Rupert Murdoch is the slimeball who owns Fox News. Why is Apple partnering with him?

4. yackatmack macrumors newbie

Concept is awesome... the content will be the make or break...

The price is right. The formatting is slick. The test will be if it is just another fact-challenged offering from the folks who brought us Fox News. If it is, it will have a faithful following and that will hopefully bring more balanced publishers into the fold. I'll check it out for the two weeks and see what the slant is and then decide if I want to continue.

5. gomi no sensei macrumors newbie

But iOS 4.2 doesn't support in app subscriptions, does it?

6. KnoxHarrington macrumors newbie

On yesterday's episode of "Tech News Today" at twit.tv, Dwight Silverman showed what I think is going to be the problem with this app: it's *too much* like a magazine. So he showed the cover was about the protests in Egypt, but said that the coverage in the magazine had not been updated to cover how the protests are becoming increasingly violent.

This better have the ability to incorporate live/breaking news, and update constantly throughout the day, or it's a non-starter. Why pay 99 cents a week for stale coverage I can get for free through the iPad's browser?

7. ZAiPhone macrumors member

No 4.2 does not support subscription therefore 4.3 will release with in 14 day free trial period.

This is more iPad hysteria. When not hire a few more folks and put out an iPhone/iPod touch formatted version. You'll only expand your target audience by 1,000%+ ??? Not to mention I see a lot of folks sitting in coffee shops in front of MacBook Pros. I'm sure this is coming and this is just media manipulation to counter Android Tablet buzz post CES. I'm betting the iPad exclusive will go away after 12 months or less.

I'm waiting on iPad 2. Then I'll decide if I want the new shiny toy or get a discount refurb old model.

8. MoreBS macrumors newbie

Day 2 - Better Content!

I did post my disappointment with the content yesterday (Feb 2).

The content for Feb 3 is so much better. Longer and much more interesting content! Kudos to the Daily team. I'm really liking this! (The article on sugar was good)

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You are not required to put in credentials right now. You might not have a few features without the log in, but you can get the gist of the app.

I downloaded it but I am not super impressed. It is merely okay at this point. Needs work on both content and interface.

10. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

Well, good app

But fails dramatically with no support for iPhone and iPod touch.

With the Retina Display on the two device, there no excuse to not support these two device. The Retina displays gives same iPad resolution on iPHone and iPod touch.

11. ZAiPhone, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

ZAiPhone macrumors member

12. dxstewart macrumors regular

For those in Canada or Australia, I hear the Daily is available now.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I can't find it.

14. dxstewart, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

dxstewart macrumors regular

15. sagnier macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, then everyone will finally be able to get news content on their iPhone. At last...

This is just news Corp junk. Why the fuss? And have you read their privacy policy?

16. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

What amuses me is Apple have added a button to promote it on their homepage, click on it and you go to the App's informations page.

Shame the three reviews in shot aren't very positive! ;)

17. zin macrumors 6502

Lucky US citizens. ;)

On a slightly irrelevant point, I watched the live introduction and was surprised how rude Rupert Murdoch was during the questions and answers (is he like that all of the time? I've never really seen Murdoch in conferences).

18. zenio macrumors 6502

19. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

I don't know why people slam CNN given that the international service is pretty good; a bit on the bland side when compared to BBC or DW-TV but it is still a lot better than Fox when it comes to at least trying to deliver news in an balanced way.

20. CQd44 macrumors 6502a

CQd44

I don't have an iPad and don't plan on ever getting one, but it is good to hear about such high-profile things making headway. Reading the bad things like the app crashing makes me wonder though.

21. engactcaw macrumors newbie

I have one question..

hmm... sorry wrong forum. ... delete plz

22. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Did you even READ my post? I said that NONE of the news outlets are neutral...everyone brings in their bias to a degree.

23. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Fox is obviously incredibly biased, and its 'opinion' hosts are generally complete lunatics. No normal, properly functioning human being take Glenn Beck seriously, but unfortunately a lot of people do. It's a joke and conservative leaning news really need not be. If you had left-wing commentators as obsessed and crazy eyed as Beck, Hannity or O'Reilly they'd be discredited and watched by only a small crazy fringe, and rightly so. Olbermann was way, way over the top but even he appears almost sane in comparison to those characters.

"Opinion Without Hyperbole" THAT would be a mantra I think anyone could get behind.

With that said, while almost all of Murdoch's media empire slants rightwards, it's not all terrible. I try to get my news and opinion from various different sources and The Times is one of them. It's about the only sensible right leaning newspaper in the UK and I think the digital subscription offers pretty good value.