The daily GRIND

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Nov 18, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What's in your daily grind?

I get up around 7 after getting (literally) a wink of sleep, then I have some rubbish cereal and tea, step in and out of the shower, dress myself in the dark, and get to school late. I keep failing my English quizzes because I forget to bring the literature home. My math teacher gave me a 79.4 and refuses to raise it. My history teacher thinks I'm incompetent because I fall asleep in his class and don't participate in discussions, simply because I did this all in sixth grade and don't have much interest in it. I don't have any friends in my lunch hour, so I pretty much spend it in the library. Speech is okay, except for that I don't know anybody in there, either. My french class is fun, except for this guy I went to middle school with is in it, and he's spreading stories about my mental breakdowns (that he caused.)

Then, I come home, I fall asleep in the basement for three hours to try and make up for lost sleep time, wake up, eat dinner, talk to my family, ignore my homework until midnight, become extremely bored with the internet, and so I just space out until 4, which I then try to fall asleep before I go back to square one in three hours.

I need a vacation. I've been doing this too long. I also keep thinking about my previous vacations, which makes me depressed thinking how happy I was then and how I'm not now.

I needed to vent. Sorry.

What's you daily grind?

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Depends on the day, but I usually sleep in later than most, about 9 or 10 am, Get up, shower, eat some lunch, run an errand or two, then go to work at 12pm. Work till about 10pm, then go home, and either eat and relax, or go for a run, then eat. Usually go to bed around 12 or so. I sleep a lot.

If you are in high school still, I wouldn't worry about the daily grind too much, you have summers to catch up on sleep, and once you go to college or go out looking for a job you can usually pick you class time or work time. High school life is pretty bad if you ask me.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Sadly - very similar to yours - but a few years ahead of you. No offense, seriously.

I don't plug for medication or "drug fixes" but you might have a sleep disorder and / or some form of depression or seasonal disorder.

I'm pretty sure I do - I just need to get off my @$$ and do something about it...

.... Or I could browse MR Forums instead. ;)

Guess what road I took?

As for school - I HATE the fact that ADD is the reason and excuse for "lazy" kids. But seriously - try taking a look into it - if not medication at first - but just techniques to help you deal with and control it. Even avoiding simple foods and drinks can help!

Don't mean to sound like an old idiot or hippie - but our lifestyle can't be healthy. Especially for me being older now. :cool:

Edit: That guy above me seems to have the right idea. I need to start exercising again - that much is NOT healthy. But it's so hard when it's cold out all the time. And with it being dark before AND after work. ;/

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't think that I have a mental disorder. I am certainly not ADD because I'm very calm and focused and have been my entire life. I'm forgetting my books because I have a bad schedule. The reason for my math grade was because I didn't study for one big test and it lowered by grade 10%--- not as much as I thought it would.

Oh, and I'm using the term "mental breakdown" in a slang sense. I wasn't hospitalised or anything.

I think I just need to set a normal sleep cycle. I'm going to try and go to bed at 1:00 tonight and refrain from my afternoon meganap. I think a lot of my problems would be solved if I just did that. The reason why I'm going to bed at 4 is because that's how late I stay up on weekends, and it's hard to shake that off during the week.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Seriously - long night weekends - no matter how young you are - can royally screw up your sleep patterns.

Try not to stay up so late on weekends, and don't sleep in so late - even if you do.

I'm well aware that you - like every one else before you - will not do this.

But at least I said it - and I guess by me saying it, is a sign that I'm getting old. :rolleyes:

And yes - your Mega Nap is definitely not helping at all. Almost get yourself killed by something fast and/or violent, or run outside in the cold - do something to wake yourself up and snap out of it. Short naps are fine - but longer than 30 minutes is too long.

Seriously though - Web MD sleeping problems - I was amazed at how much "common sense" things I never took into consideration before. Like how caffeine can affect people up to 24 hours later! And I was drinking coffees after work - while being confused while I couldn't sleep 8 hours later...

I never claimed to be smart. :confused:

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Jesus - do you realize how much better the world would be if just half of us could follow 1/4 of our advice???

I gotta stop giving it to others, and start using it myself. :mad:

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I get up at 2PM take a shower. And am out the door by 3PM to get coffee and head to work. Work until between 6:30 and 8:30. Get home get yelled at by the cat and go to bed. Then sometimes I get to wake up at noon to go to school before work. I do really live a very fun life.:rolleyes:

8. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I have a similar sleep pattern. I can't get to sleep until 4am each night, so by the time I get home from work each day I'm very tired and have to nap from 6pm-10pm. It has been that way for years.

So the pattern is:
    8am -> 6pm awake
    6pm -> 10pm asleep
    10pm -> 4am awake
    4am -> 8am asleep

There is a name for this - biphasic sleep. I'm not sure it's a disorder, it's just some people have 2 shorter sleeps instead of 1 long one.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Honest to god - I have to look into that!

That explains my sleeping pattern too. My internal "cues" seem close to yours - and on days when I actually sleep 8 hours or more - I feel HORRIBLE the next day. Groggy and usually have a headache if I sleep more than 8 hours.

Usually I sleep 6, and that does not seem like enough - but I never tried the 2 cycle bit.

Now I gotta Web MD that. :D

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Get a normal sleep cycle. First and foremost - turn off the internet. See how that changes things...

I know when I lived by myself in uni, I could stay up til 4am on the internet and then need to be up for 7 or 8. Not healthy. Sleep is the key. You'll feel so much better. Diet also affects how tired you might get. My friend stopped eating dairy and he is a lot less lethargic. Just wanted to let you know. Good luck! :)

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Sleep - Eat - Work - MR

Repeat.

It really is quite simple. :)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ah the joys of the HS grind. I just do not miss them. For me it depends on the day of the week. (which is different every single day)

Basic set up.
    MWF wake up at around 6:30-6:45 get ready skip breakfast and leave late for my 8am class. Something general happening school/work wise until close to noon. Come home eat lunch read some. take a nap,
    Bed between 1-2am.

T TH wake up 7:30 take my time and make and eat breakfast, leave 10:30 for work class at 12:30 day ends around 5-6pm. Bed around 1-2 am

I am working on the bed time thing because in January I start my real job and I have to get there fairly early in the morning so the entire bed time thing will need to be worked on. I will say i have made progress I am back to 2am from 4am with the same time getting up in the morning from a few years ago.

13. aLoC macrumors 6502a

There are advantages to having 2 shorter sleeps. If you have a nap after work then it clears out the day's work thoughts, and you are fresh for other work in the evening (e.g. programming of my own). Still, everyone is different.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mine: Get up any time, check in here to see what the night has bought us, get ready for work, go to work, start at any time (within reason), design stuff, have meetings, fix Macs, send work to press, finish at any time... maybe meet others for dinner or drinks after work or get to the shops, come home, put music on, check in here to see what the afternoon has bought us, make phone calls to friends, usually hang around here if there isn't more work to be done, bed before midnight (usually).

Slave to the rhythm.

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Is your place hiring? Not for the reason you think - so I can work with Macs - and finally get sick of them - so I can stop lurking around this forum late at night. :confused:

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, not in my team, which is where the Macs are... in fact, there have been mutterings of redundancies. But if you like your work to be a never-ending source of trouble and heartache, it could be the place for you.

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I've already got plenty of that in the Medical and Defense industry. Ugh.

Maybe I can try out food service? :)

18. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

My Daily Grind is a coffee shop where I go to school.

19. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

I wake up a lot earlier than I have to because I don't like being rushed in the morning. I could wake up an hour later than I do but I think I'd be a lot more tired in the long run. So I wake up 2 hours before I have to be anywhere and that gives me time to eat my breakfast in peace and drink some coffee (instead of slurping it down on the way out the door). I'm tired when I wake up (whether it's early or late, I don't ever wake up refreshed) but my morning routine gives me time to wake up. You'd be surprised at what a difference this makes.

I also have sleep problems and take medication for it (it's actually for migraines, but I get migraines from not sleeping..) but it doesn't always work. If I can't sleep, under no circumstances do I get up and get back or the computer or get a book out. I make myself lie there even if I am not going to sleep. This is my way of being assured that a minor sleep problem doesn't turn self-inflicted by getting up and distracting myself all night with something else.

Aside from that I go to work and then straight to class on M/W. After that I go home and get a snack, change clothes, and go to the gym. Come back, get a shower, eat dinner, and watch tv or do school work. On T/Th I go straight from work to meetings, collect pre-thesis data, more meetings to discuss findings, then go to spin class.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You should probably look into changing your schedule. You should consider internet usage as disposable time if you've already got a really hectic schedule and have more important tasks to do.

My current one is-
    up at 11am, work, eat, work, feel tired (either fight it off or take a short nap), work, watch a TV show (any), work, play Team Fortress 2 for 2 hours, bed at 4am.

Thankfully my work at the moment is just making graphics for games, and work on my own games so whilst I play to deadlines - I work my own hours.

21. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I never wake up refreshed either. Doesn't matter if I get 2 or 12 hours, I always feel tired when I wake up. Does anyone know why this might be?

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

#1 - Are you getting a full night's sleep for several consecutive nights and still not waking up refreshed? For example, if you're getting ~4 hours sleep for a few days, you're still not going to feel great even after a 10 hour catch-up.

#2 - Are you getting a good night's sleep, or are you tossing and turning and repeatedly waking up?

23. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I'm getting regular sleep, but I am going to bed quite late. Usually later than 12, but no later than 1.30. I am getting 10+ hours every day though.

I sleep like a log, which is why I find it odd. I never wake up during the night.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It could be your mattress. A bad place to sleep can really ruin a good eight hours.

25. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

It's only a few months old.

I finished college a few months ago and I've taken a time out, and I'm now looking for a web/graphic design job, hence why I have so much time to sleep and be lazy.

Maybe.....I'm getting too much sleep :confused: