• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

115847-the_daily_coming_soon.jpg

Last month, All Things Digital reported that News Corp.'s forthcoming tablet-focused news publication, The Daily, appeared likely to debut sometime the week of January 17th. Forbes has now confirmed with a source inside the company that the publication will be formally announced on January 19th.
Mark your calendars, media nerds. Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2011 is the day it all changes. Maybe.

That's the planned launch date for The Daily, the iPad-only publication News Corp. has been feverishly developing. The company has yet to say boo about it, and a spokesman declined to comment when I asked him about the launch date, which comes via a News Corp. insider.
The report notes that The Daily's staff of 100 has been putting out content as dry runs for a list of 1,000 invited readers in preparation for the official launch.

Apple has been said to be supporting The Daily with its work on support for recurring billing via users' iTunes Store accounts. The Daily has been rumored to be priced at 99 cents per week, with users signing up for subscriptions being charged periodically without the need for manual payment management. Reports had previously indicated that the subscription billing support would be rolled out in a new iOS 4.3, although we've yet to see any signs of a new version of Apple's mobile operating system being pushed out to developers for testing.

Article Link: 'The Daily' iPad News Publication to Debut January 19th

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Not really bothered about The Daily, but hope the subscription thing works out and more publishers get on board.

Comment

Eso

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2008
"The Daily" ... well this has the makings to be a very original publication! :rolleyes:

Comment

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
when i first saw this i thought "The Daily Show" but alas....

Anyway, good to see the content developing.

And how about a Daily Show app?! (and Colbert Report)

Comment

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
If $0.99/week is accurate this will be a reasonable value if the content is decent.

Maybe it will have a residual effect of bringing the greedy bastards like the Wall Street Journal into line.

Steve

Comment

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Its a digital newspaper, of course its not original. :rolleyes:
The ironically-named "News Corp" owns The Sun and Fox News amongst other things. There is no way I would pay Murdoch for "news" :rolleyes:

However, if Apple finally works out a proper subscription payment method so that reputable newspapers can start to publish via the iPad then this might be significant.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Hope they publish the facts, all of them, instead of this insane speculation that swamped us this weekend... enough of that hate-"news" demonizing everything instead of reporting what went on.

If the Daily can rise above that garbage, it will be worthy of consideration.

Comment

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wupee! A different way to read the same old crap. Seriously, it all comes down to content. It doesn't really matter how they present content, if it doesn't have interesting articles that are well-written, then it doesn't even matter if Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch are in my very living room reading me the articles live, it's gonna fail.

Comment

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Hope they publish the facts, all of them, instead of this insane speculation that swamped us this weekend... enough of that hate-"news" demonizing everything instead of reporting what went on.

If the Daily can rise above that garbage, it will be worthy of consideration.

Coming from the makers of Fox News, I'm sure this will happen.

Comment

misfit356tsw

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
The ironically-named "News Corp" owns The Sun and Fox News amongst other things. There is no way I would pay Murdoch for "news" :rolleyes:

However, if Apple finally works out a proper subscription payment method so that reputable newspapers can start to publish via the iPad then this might be significant.

So your silly political views don't allow you to see what a revolution for the future of news content this is? Don't worry I'm sure they will put something out that is skewed for your beliefs. :rolleyes: Hopefully this helps to save the newspaper industry.

Comment

davidsol

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Wupee! A different way to read the same old crap. Seriously, it all comes down to content. It doesn't really matter how they present content, if it doesn't have interesting articles that are well-written, then it doesn't even matter if Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch are in my very living room reading me the articles live, it's gonna fail.

Actually, if Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch came over to my living room every day to read me the news, I would pay attention. That would be quite remarkable. But after a while, I'd expect them to make breakfast, too. :rolleyes:

Comment

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
So your silly political views don't allow you to see what a revolution for the future of news content this is? Don't worry I'm sure they will put something out that is skewed for your beliefs. :rolleyes: Hopefully this helps to save the newspaper industry.
Silly me :rolleyes: Yeah, nice one. Maybe it'll be fair and balanced, you never know :rolleyes:

Comment

misfit356tsw

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
Actually, if Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch came over to my living room every day to read me the news, I would pay attention. That would be quite remarkable. But after a while, I'd expect them to make breakfast, too. :rolleyes:

Will that be waffles or fried eggs? LOL

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Coming from the makers of Fox News, I'm sure this will happen.

...I didn't notice Fox doing the speculation-as-fact this weekend.
Seemed to be coming from a lot of other outlets, though.
It was an eye opener for me. Count one off of ratings on a half-dozen news outlets.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.