Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I see what he means, arcades (as in the place where people go to play games) is dead. But the spirit of arcade lives on in cheap, highscore-based, competitive games.
I see what he means too, I just disagree. ;)

Arcade-style games might live on but the arcade itself and the arcade experience is a rare find these days. Sitting at home (or online) with my friends, controller in hand, is not nearly the same thing as perusing a room full of arcade cabinets, pocket full of tokens, contemplating which game is worthy my hard earned money.

As for upgradeability I think that will eventually happen. It already is in the mobile sector. As I'm sure I said in this thread - I can very well imagine consoles will eventually be nothing more than a set of standards and requirements per manufacturer, that all games made for that console will run at the very minimum but have room to play games at higher resolutions.
I'd be very surprised if Sony, MS or Nintendo licensed their hardware specs to other manufacturers. I think cloud-based gaming as a service is a more likely thing to happen.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Dave & Busters, while catering a bit more towards adults than kids, is what I'd call an arcade. They always seems quite busy when I've gone by.
There are certainly still places with arcade sections (like D&Bs or Jillians) and a handful of actual arcades exist though they are usually in various states of disrepair (dirty looking, broken games, etc.,). It's not like it was 20yrs ago when stand-alone arcades were still thriving and one existed in nearly every mall in America.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
It's not like it was 20yrs ago when stand-alone arcades were still thriving and one existed in nearly every mall in America.

Good point. I wasted many hours of my life in those stand-alone arcades.. along with one inside a bowling alley I used to visit!

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Dave & Busters, while catering a bit more towards adults than kids, is what I'd call an arcade. They always seems quite busy when I've gone by.

Dave and Buster's is okay, but you can tell they are not interested in the games, more the food, drinks, etc. and games are an afterthought. They have some good newer games (like House of the Dead 4, etc.) but nothing specialized.

It's sad to see arcades lose popularity. Nothing can replace dedicated (expensive) hardware for a single game.

Logically speaking, you would think it's the other way around, where most people go to the arcade to play games (best experience), and people use their home consoles less only when they can't be at an arcade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.