The Death of Shiny Chrome (Hopefully)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I've long said that the chrome backing of the iPod wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. As much as I've wanted it to, I've always said I wouldn't believe it until I saw it for myself. But I finally believe it's going to happen, even though I haven't seen it yet.

Apple has long been obsessed with making the backs of their iPods with shiny chrome backs. The iPods looked beautiful outta the box, but god forbid you keep them out of a case, lest you suffer the fate of having it scratched up to no end. No product as big as the iPod damages that easily, and it was sickening how much Apple couldn't resist it. But I think it's finally headed out the door.

Apple has used chrome backing on all its major iPod models (Classic and Touch) since the very beginning. The chrome even made it to the bezel of the iPhone for 3 generations. But look where chrome is now. The chrome bezel of the iPhone, which gave it its iconic look, is now gone. The bezel and back of the iPad are made of aluminum. I think Apple has just given up on it, in the same way they gave up on white iPods.

I think chrome was just a design phase that Apple went through, and they are phasing it out. As I said, the iPhone and iPad are chrome free, and I expect the iPod Touch to follow. I think Apple is just moving on to a new generation of design, with smooth aluminum and glass. All their products have it. The only ones that don't are the iPod Touch and iPod Classic. The Classic will keep the chrome, but I don't think the Touch will. I expect to see something similar to the aluminum of the iPad. Here's to hoping.

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't think the classic will ever get anything but a chrome back. Makes it easier to open if needed.

As for the iPod touch - I doubt it would get a glass back but maybe aluminum. Maybe.

3. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Apple has said before that aluminum and glass is a combination that they really like - being both beautiful and highly recyclable, and they've been implementing it in more and more of their products. I expect them to bring that combination to the 4th gen iPod touch by giving it the same aluminum backing as the iPad.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That would just slow down the cratching process, but it the end make it worse. See original iPhone.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Cratching process? :confused:

6. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I too think that the chrome backs of the iPod touch and classic. This year I hope they both get aluminum, I don't really mind the anodized aluminum that is on the nano 5G, but something other than chrome would be nice.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

scratching.... typo, I hope you could see that.

8. Aero26 macrumors regular

I've hear a lot about this topic. Its interesting. I got a replacement for a failed battery change in a touch 1G that cut the headphone jack. They gave me a 3G as a replacement and slipped on the previous case out of box. I pulled it out two weeks later to see if the beauty was still in tact and despite never falling or leaving the case, it was showing heavy smudging and a good amount of scratches. Sure, I know Skullcandy is more for show but how does a case scratch your Chrome?

Please. As little as glass does for protection, I wouldn't mind it seeing the form factor of the iPhone.

9. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

That would improve the durability. See iPad.

10. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Ah, for some reason I wasn't able to make that connection. :eek:

As the person above me said, they didn't have any problem putting the aluminum back on the iPad, but then again the iPad isn't shoved into pockets daily that may have other items in them. Hmmmm... I don't see how an original iPhone could've gotten worse than that awful chrome though! :eek:

11. zjzjn1 macrumors member

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Silicone cases scratch? I really dont care what the material is as long as it doesnt scratch easy like that.