The definitive iPhone 3G battery performance thread. Post your stats here!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reiger, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Reiger macrumors regular

There is a lot of discussion about the performance of the battery of the iPhone 3G, the amount of time you can actually use the iPhone on one charge etc.

Please post your
    usage time (and what your did, calling, Safari, 3rd party Apps etc.)
    standby time
    battery indicator (estimate roughly how full it is, or preferably post a screenshot)
    and settings:
    push or fetch (please state the type of account and/or the fetch interval)
    3G or 2G
    Wifi on or off
    Location services on or off

These posts seem to be all over the forum, with extremely conflicing results. I hope that this thread will provide some answers, as to what the most battery eating uses really are and thus how to most save battery while not giving up too much functionality ;).

2. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

My first test is in.

Usage is 2 hours and 15 minutes, mostly Safari browsing (over wifi and 3G), calling and some monkeyball
    Standby is 21 hours
    Battery 20% left (just received the warning)
    Push using MobileMe, mail/contacts/calendars/bookmarks
    3G
    Wifi on
    Location Services on

3. sneeks macrumors 6502a

usage time 4.5 hours - Safari 30 minutes, Youtube, iPod 45 minutes, Email Read and Write, SMS, 15 minute phone call, 30 minutes Sudoku
    standby time 15 hours
    battery indicator 20% warning
    and settings:
    push MobileMe and fetch gmail every 15 minutes
    3G
    Wifi off 90% of the day
    Location services on

Battery life has greatly improved after the 5th full charge.

So far today I have 1 hour 50 minutes usage, 6.5 hours standby and a combination of browsing, iPod, Youtube, email and sms. Battery indicator slightly under full power.

4. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

My Settings:
    Wi-Fi OFF until/if needed.
    Push is off since I don't have a need for it anyways.
    E-Mail check is set to manual.
    No iPod EQ's set.
    Location Services OFF until I need to use it (I hear this is a real battery drainer since apps don't turn it back OFF when done using it)
    Bluetooth OFF - I don't have anything that uses it, so no use to have it on.
    Auto-Lock set to NEVER.
    3G enabled when using any type of data, was turned on around 60-75% of the day.
    Auto-Brightness Disabled, brightness level around 20% (It's still very readable and visible)

General settings:
    [​IMG]

Brightness level:
    [​IMG]

Fetch new Data:
    [​IMG]

Tasks performed on the phone today: All are approximate estimates
    20 Minutes of games (Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D)
    45 Minutes of video (2 TV Shows)
    75-95 Minutes of Talk Time (50% of calls on EDGE, 50% on 3G)
    10 Minutes of GPS Usage (turned Location Services back off after use)
    15 Minutes of other Apps (MySpace, Facebook, Weatherbug)
    60-90 Minutes of 3G Internet Use (No EDGE data, all 3G)
    Sent about 30-50 text messages (some on EDGE, some on 3G)
    Sent 3 E-Mails, and checked E-Mail about 5 times (on 3G)
    5.36 hours of music

Results for the day:
    Usage: 9 Hours, 54 Minutes
    Standby: 14 Hours, 16 Minutes

5.36 hours were music
    4.53 hours were the other items listed

[​IMG]

5. cantankerously macrumors regular

LAST FULL CHARGE

6 hours of usage
    1 day standby
    10% left

3G and wifi off, but conservatively used.
    iPod used most of the time while driving (+1 hour)
    several short calls made
    mostly data used for manual push of mail
    watched one movie

Location services off
    Brightness set low, auto bright off.

6. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Usage time: 3 hours 44 minutes
    Standby time: 19 hours
    Battery indicator: little more than 20%
    Settings: push off, fetch every 30 minutes
    Wifi searching off, auto brightness off, location services off.

Also includes 2.5 hours music listening, 20 minutes of calls, and about 50 minutes of Internet use.

I have only done two full charge cycles so I'm hoping to hit higher numbers.

7. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

I think this would be my fourth charge cycle. When I first got the phone on Friday I had about 2 hours of usage and 5-6 hours of standby before hitting the 20% warning. Now we've got:

Usage Time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
    45 minutes phone
    20 minutes texting
    20 minutes music
    10 minutes Hold Em
    5 minutes Epocrates
    5 minutes Shazam
    Remaining time surfing via 3G

Standby Time: 1 Day, 1 Hour

Batter Indicator: 80%

3G: On
    Push: On (on for Yahoo, Fetch Manual for Google)
    Wifi: Off
    Bluetooth: Off
    Location Services: On

8. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's pretty amazing. It makes me wonder if Yahoo pushmail is less battery intensive than MobileMe.

9. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Another update, since I suspect push is draining the battery I'm using fetch now:

Usage is 1 hours and 10 minutes, demonstrating the features of the iPhone
    Standby is almost 10 hours
    Battery 90-95% left
    Fetch on a 30 minute interval from MobileMe, mail/contacts/calendars/bookmarks
    3G
    Wifi on
    Location Services off

10. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Usage is 2 hours and 35 minutes, demonstrating the features of the iPhone and using some GPS
    Standby is almost 1 day and 15 hours
    Battery 20% left
    Fetch on a 30 minute interval from MobileMe, mail/contacts/calendars/bookmarks
    3G
    Wifi on
    Location Services off (sometimes on, because usage included GPS

11. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Push on, 3g on. Wifi, Bluetooth and location services off. Even though the phone shows Edge, I spend all day in 3G coverage areas.
    I don't talk a lot on the phone but do use data. The phone died about an hour later than the screenshot.

I have done one battery discharge (to 0%) -recharge cycle (with wall charger). Now on my second.

I was ready to make the genius bar appointment because my phone was sucking the life out of the battery before I did that. It made a huge difference.

[​IMG]

12. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Could you please specify your usage and type of push (Exchange, MobileMe etc.), because the batterytime seems fenomenal :)

13. firewood macrumors 604

Please post whether you've done at least one deep discharge (to 0%) and full recharge cycle to calibrate your battery gauge before giving your stats.

Otherwise, it's meaningless information.

It's like standing on a weight scale that's 10 kilos off... whoa!

14. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I am on Exchange push. I receive about 50 emails constantly throughout the day from roughly 5a until 9p, then it slacks off.

I do web browsing and use apps for about 2 1/2 hours each day.

As I mentioned, I've done one deep discharge to zero (phone shuts off), then a full recharge for 6+ hours (even though the battery meter indicates a full charge after about 2 hours). I am currently on my second (of three planned) full discharge cycle.

15. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

Strange, I did a full discharge/recharge cycle yesterday (guess in total I had 5 cyles). And now I get even worse batterytime than before.

I hardly used it at all, even though it states 1 hours and 40 minutes, I barely touched it :confused: . I only did some texting and some emailing. Nothing else, it cannot have been 1 hours 40 minutes worth of usage. It has been on standby for nearly 13 hours. I just received the 20% warning.

I am using 3G and wifi with MobileMe Push enabled. Location services and bluetooth are disabled.

16. steveapp macrumors member

Typical usage for me is 4 - 6 hours

Standby time is 7:30am to Midnight - i.e. 16.5 hours

I typically have
    Push on,
    3g on (though not in a 3g area most of the time)
    Wifi on at home for 3 hours use
    3 hours usage is Safari (thats usually under wifi for 50+% of the time)
    Facebook, Twinkle, Airme, Maps another 1-2 hours
    Mahjong, calendar, email, photos and weather fill another hour maybe of hours ish
    Basically most of my use includes network traffic, its the way of the device
    I often have the iPod playing in the background

I tend to get the 20% warning by 9 - 10pm and if still playing it gives up at about 11- 12pm

17. wok macrumors member

I also seem to be getting incorrect or at least very inconsistent "usage" readings. After charging all night, it's listing my usage at close to 4 hours which cannot be accurate since I've maybe put an hour and a half at most.

I've also seen my wife's standby settings read very strangely. After a full nights charge (from the wall) it lists standby time of ~10 hours since last full charge.

Anyone else noticing similar weirdness?

18. turbo63 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have one bar left for the day (started with Wifi on which kills my battery at the office for some reason, 3g is way better on my battery)
    and I have 5hrs 56 min of usage and 8 hrs and 34min of standby, but my phone has only been off the charger for 8 1/2 hrs? How is that?

Below are more details -
    Call period 48 mi
    Sent 3.4mb
    received 31.3mb

BTW
    3g- On
    Wifi - on half of day
    Location - Off
    Bluetooth - on

19. AFPoster macrumors 65816

usage time: 5 hours 21 minutes
    standby time: 9hours 7 minutes
    battery indicator: got the 20% mark 10 min ago so its prob around 15 - 17%
    and settings: Bluetooth: ON
    push or fetch: Push / 15 min (please state the type of account and/or the fetch interval)
    3G or 2G: ON
    Wifi on or off: OFF but ON when needed (2 hours)
    Location services on or off: ON

About 1 hour total talk time, couple hours dinkering around on the phone (Monkey Ball, Aurora, and Downloading an App). Researching Titanic and Anne Frank on the web since as we all know "Anne Frank is the world champion for hide and seek from 1942 - 1944" And about 45min of texting.

20. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

And another update...

usage time: 3 hours and 45 minutes (texting, apps and wifi browsing)
    standby time: 21 hours
    battery indicator: 10%
    push (MobileMe)
    3G
    Wifi on
    Location services off
    Screen brightness 30% and sensor on

Since FearlessFreep got great numbers, with wifi also off. I'm going to try that tomorrow :)

21. Reiger thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't really getting any better, it might be getting worse. At least turning wifi off doesn't really solve the question of the batterylife :( I can't even come close to FearlessFreep's numbers.

usage time: almost 4 hours (3G browsing, 15 min calling, some texting and listening to music for about 30 minutes)
    standby time: 13 hours and 50 minutes
    battery indicator: 20%
    push (MobileMe)
    3G on
    Wifi off
    Location services off
    Screen brightness 30% and sensor on

22. turbo63 macrumors newbie

Funny, with Wifi at the office my phone last about 4 hrs talk/standby without it my phone last a 24+ hrs standby/talk.

It may be a WEP thing however. Don't have the same problem with my home Wifi. Also it could be a Wifi/Exchange push deal.

23. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I am thoroughly convinced that the battery meter is totally out of whack - even with my decent numbers. And that goes both ways:

1. The battery appears to discharge faster and registers lower than actual electrical charge left, and
    2. The battery appears FULL before it's actually charged completely. Thus pulling the charger prematurely (even though it appears to be charged) results in a lower capacity.

I have achieved the best results when using the wall charger and leaving it plugged in well past the point where the meter registers as full. I'm talking at least 6 hours.

I certainly hope this is something that can be addressed via software, but the evidence is mounting that the battery meter is completely inaccurate.

24. SculptorM macrumors newbie

6h-20m Use/23h-31m Standby

Started out with everything on and keeping it hooked up to a charger more often than not. Was running out quick and then...research.

Gave up on that and have three day-trials of running battery empty and back up to full. One charged overnight. Each time just using it as I would for email, games, surfing, weather, pictures, maps. About everything over the course of the days.

specs:
    email - MobileMe - Fetch - 30 minutes
    3G off except for 8-10 moments looking up youtube & Safari
    Wifi off except for 3-4 moments safari
    Location services off

Mostly I just turned things on when I needed. Not too much talking (see screen shot) and 2g does better in my studio than 3g anyway, so for phone I just keep the 3g off and it's just fine.

Would be great to have an app that turns 3g on and off for safari when you wake and sleep it.

Screen Shot of usage right as it went to black with lightning charge indicator:

[​IMG]

25. BitterB macrumors member

Strong battery, I think

I've had my 3G less than a week. The first 4-5 days I just charged every night and made it without even reaching the 20% mark on all but one night. My use was some calls, some Yahoo mail, a little You Tube, and a lot of checking it the various menus available. This is my first iPhone.

Being curious about how long the battery would last, I decided not to charge it last night. I just hit the 20% life remaining warning. Here's my stats:

Usage: 16 hrs, 20min
    Standby: 1 day, 7 hours
    3G off
    Location Svcs off
    Push on (yahoo)
    Auto Brightness on

The usage must include all the pushing that occurs, because I know I haven't actually had the phone in hand for calls, surfing, e-mails, and everything else for that long. Standby seems to represent the time it's been on since I took it off the last charge, or at least something close to it.

This is pretty good, yes??