The difference between OLED and LCD is UNREAL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ideal.dreams, Nov 6, 2017.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I received my iPhone X on launch day and I've been nothing but impressed. It's a fantastic device and I have no complaints as of yet. One of the major changes to the X is the OLED display and while yeah, it looks better than any iPhone to date, I didn't quite realize by how much. My girlfriend bought an iPhone 8 Plus about a month ago and last night I was playing around on YouTube looking for videos to really show off the display and came across this one.

I had my girlfriend pull up the same video on her iPhone 8+ and we held our phones side-by-side and the difference was absolutely unbelievable. My video was crystal clear, sharp, and the colors were gorgeous. The blacks are absolute black. On my girlfriends phone, the video appeared blurry in some areas and the colors seemed washed out.

Worth trying out yourselves in person if you have access to the X and a different iPhone. I couldn't believe the difference.

2. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

I had a play with one in the Manchester Apple store the other day and while I agree the screen was nice, I personally wouldn’t say the difference was unreal... blacks looked a bit blacker but for me that was about it. Not saying it’s not an awesome phone, it clearly is.

3. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Kudos, Samsung! ;)

How is brightness for you under direct sunlight? X's max nits is only half of the Note8. Most of my phones have Notification Toggle switch set to 70-75% and sometimes to 100% when I'm out. I don't trust their auto-brightness.

With my iPhone, I have to manually adjust it but it's naturally bright even at 50%. Auto-brightness might kill battery a little faster because another sensor is on and I don't trust them in certain lighting. Some well lit rooms, my screen could still be dim.

4. rjruiz2 macrumors 6502

Is it just me or the OLED darker than LCD?

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

It’s just you. :) mine is fine.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

Weird. I bought two iPhone X’s... my girlfriend finally opened up hers yesterday.. her display is considerably darker than mines.. i didn’t say anything. Made me wonder if my screen is brighter than most.. or if hers was a dud.. not worried about it. But i feel that mines is atleast 20% brighter than hers. She’s happy. That’s all that matters

7. Avenger macrumors 6502a

You can turn off auto brightness and make it really bright. But there is a little blurb about display long time health. I like the screen very bright so I set it to 75%.

8. madKIR macrumors 6502a

You'd have to turn off Auto-Brightness on both in order to be able to compare them. It was moved to Settings/General/Accessibility...
    I compared 2 different iPhone X's as well and realized that their sensors approach the ambient light differently even though the bar would be at max on both under the display settings.

9. ultravegeta1981 macrumors 6502

ultravegeta1981

It is better yes, but the LCD displays of Apple are no joke.

10. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

Completely echo this. Bought a Galaxy S8 back in May and only kept it for two weeks but the apparent difference between it and the LCD on my 7 Plus was staggering. I’m really not a fan of over saturated colors so it’s really nice to see Apple’s color calibration on the X. The difference is not something that will immediately jump out at you in a Apple store with a bunch of high ambient light. Use the X and another LCD 7 or 8 in a darkly lit room and your eyes will be MESMERIZED by the OLED on the X. The brighter you make the LCD display, the more it bleeds through and takes away true black, thus reducing contrast on the rest of the image. I had my wife pull up a concert video side by side and the difference was UNREAL.

11. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I did the same with my 7 Plus. The X is a huge improvement.

12. DaveOP macrumors 65816

The Note 8 cannot do 1200 nits for the entire display, just small parts of it. Check out that section of the Displaymate review, where they give it the nod as the brightest display.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

13. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

ahhhh! thats what I forgot to do. I didn't turn auto brightness on hers. I was wondering why it was such a stark difference. I was tuning her display to mines and I was starked at the difference. but that was why. thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    I guess it would make too much sense to add an auto brightness button beside nightshift and True Tone under the 3D Touch brightness hub in control center

14. Joe h macrumors regular

We gave up true white, for a truer black. Not worth the problems oled will produce down the road. Also the psychedelic changing tint is producing migraines.

15. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

I hopped on MacRumors exactly for this reason. Psychedelic is the perfect way to describe it and I'm honestly surprised we aren't hearing more complaints about this. It's especially noticeable if you look at the white space in Settings or iMessage and then tilt the phone. It's a very dramatic and obvious shift from white to pink to purple/blue. I'm not liking it.

16. kre62 macrumors 68020

I'm in the opposite camp, and for reference, there is panel variability in both the X and the 8+. So your X could have had a good panel for the X and the 8+ had a bad panel for the 8+. Your one data point proves only that your personal X looks better to you than your personal 8+.

I went from an X to an 8+ and I think the 8+ has the better screen, and I compared dozens of phones. This is especially true when comparing display models of the X to the display 8+, which should both have the better panels foe each respective model. The 8+ is much brighter on full brightness than the X. It also looks sharper and produces less eye strain to me. Also, no blue shift, no chance of burn-in, etc.

For me, the X panel feels like a giant step back. It reminds me of the old LCD panels before IPS where if you looked off angle, it looked really terrible. I'd love for Apple to just use an LCD panel with the X form factor.

17. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

The contrast ratio is like a million to one so the blacks are deeper than the LCD ever could.

18. Damstr macrumors 6502

If anything it seems brighter at a lower setting in iOS.

19. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Can't wait for more phones with 120 Hz and HDR mode.

4K/HDR OLED TVs are my favorites.

20. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Wait, YouTube HDR works on the iPhone?

21. profets macrumors 601

The OLED display was one of the first things that blew me away, much more than I was expecting. It has this look of ink being printed to the surface of the glass when compared to the LCD displays on my iPads. My iPads' displays feel outdated. Even though they're laminated they look like they have depth to them compared to the OLED. I personally can't wait to see an OLED iPad (though I'm sure it's a few years away at least).

22. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

saw no difference but i only used it a total of like 15 mins in dif stores at dif times

23. Diorama macrumors 6502a

iPhone X is brighter than the Note.

24. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Let me shorten this for you. Just say. THANK YOU SAMSUNG.
    Please do not associate credit for OLED Displays with Apple.
    I’ve been using Samsung OLED Phones for 3 Years now OLED is Amazing
    And LG OLED TVs also are amazing LG makes the OLED display for the Apple Watch.
    And next years iPad Pro X will also likely use 10.5” OLED displays made by LG.

25. Diorama macrumors 6502a

And thank you Foxconn for designing the iPhone.