The disk cannot be partitioned because some files can not be moved.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by equalsabracket, Aug 29, 2009.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

I'm trying to re-partition (i removed the first one so i could make it bigger). When i try and make a 100gb partition through bootcamp, after working for an hour, it says this:

What does this mean and how do i do this? I opened disk utility and can't work it out.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to backup, erase the entire drive, then restore from your backup.

3. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Why do i need to do that? :eek:Are you sure there isn't another solution? :(

And is there a guide for doing that then?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is no other way.

Do you have Time Machine set up?

5. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i do. Is there simple instructions on how to do this?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If TM is set up, and everything is backed up, Insert your Mac Install Disc and boot the computer holding C.

It will start from the DVD, Choose Utilities from the menu, then Restore from a TM backup.

7. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Will that be easy to do or is there a chance it could go wrong and wreck my system?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you have a backup, the most trouble you can cause is some lost time. It's safe.

9. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i'll take your word for it and hold you personally responsible if it goes wrong.;)

But seriously, wish me luck haha.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You're like the 10th person to tell me that, and I've never heard from any of them again - so either it worked, or it screwed it up so badly that they haven't been online since. ;)

11. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Surely if i back up my computer and then re-install from the backup it'll be the exact same files and will have exactly the same problem?

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The files will be the same - true. But they will be in a different place on the physical platters of the hard drive - which is what makes the difference.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There actually is an alternative to reinstalling OS X, but it isn't free. You could purchase a copy of iDefrag, and run it off of a CD or another volume to perform an offline defragmentation of your boot volume.

14. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

I did it earlier today and it worked, thanks.:)

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, I'm off the hook - right?

16. ashyo99 macrumors newbie

ashyo99

Defragging

wait so is all i have to do is to defrag my mac rather than doing the back up or is that something else you were talking about with the defragging program?

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Technically, yes, but some users have reported that iDefrag wont do this - since there is no guarantee that it will move files out of the space needed for BC.

18. haiggy macrumors 65816

19. Sixth Gauge macrumors newbie

Yup. I tried several methods before yours and had no luck, but yours was successful. Thanks.

20. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

No need to wipe the drive. idefrag worked for me several times now.

21. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

When the drive is partitioned with Mac journaled (HFS+) you need to make sure the option is set to GUID for Bootcamp to work properly.

22. Morl macrumors newbie

I want to thank you for this information. I didn't create my own thread (no need, there's a million of 'em), but I read this one and this worked for me. Thanks again.

23. peschybear macrumors newbie

iDefrag: no guarantee

Hi,

I also wanted to expand my Bootcamp partition. I found some forums where people stated that iDefrag (costs about €25) would do the job.
    After imaging my Bootcamp partition with WinClone, I deleted the Bootcamp partition with the Bootcamp assistant. Next step was to create a bootable DVD (tools are included when you buy iDefrag). I did this and then started the MAC with this DVD. I did a full defragmentation (took more than 10 hours!!). After the defragmentation I still got the annoying "files in use" in the Bootcamp assistant. So I did it the hard way: checked TimeMachine if everything was on the backup drive, started a new MAC OS install, erased the existing MAC partition, installed MAC OS, restored backup from TimeMachine, used Bootcamp assistant to create a larger Bootcamp partition, restored (with Winclone) the image of my former Bootcamp partition, let checkdisk run on Bootcamp partition (took about 3 hours) and finally I had a larger Bootcamp partition.

24. Jensen2k macrumors newbie

Boot Camp was the way to go

I did the same as the guy above me. Tried everything before i resorted to the Time Machine-solution. And it worked perfect!

Thanks guys!

25. Larkki macrumors newbie

I thought I'd share my results, since I did not want to go such a hard way:

• I ran Repair disk using Disk Utility. It complained about some disk errors.

• Then I booted using the install disk, and ran Repair disk from there. Everything went fine and it showed green.

• I booted back to OSX and ran Boot Camp Assistant. Everything went fine.

All of this took about 45minutes.
    So probably you don't need to go all the way and reinstall everything. Just repairing the disk could be enough for you.