Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This upcoming display from Dell sounds perfect.

It's 30", is 16:10, is an IPS 10-bit display, matte, and has a lower pixel density than the 27"ACD.

The only negative is that it is not LED backlit. The main advantages to LED backlighting are that it takes a while for fluorescent backlights to warm up and they don't tend to last as long as LEDs. Apple's 27" ACD has white LED backlight so there is no advantage to color gamut there. And this Dell displays over 1 billion colors.

My only hesitation in ordering this Dell when it becomes available is that it is a revision one device.

But I will probably not get the U2711 because the higher pixel density makes reading text and menus harder and I will not get the 27" ACD because of the high gloss, pixel density, and questionable quality (iMac screen issues).

I think this is the one! What do you all think?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The LED backlight is what causes the yellowing in iMacs. I personally prefer CCFL because even it is too bright for my eyes but that's just a preference thing. I don't get it what is so special in LED. It's bright and doesn't need time to warm up but still, it has its own issues. Any idea on the price of that Dell?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The LED backlight is what causes the yellowing in iMacs. I personally prefer CCFL because even it is too bright for my eyes but that's just a preference thing. I don't get it what is so special in LED. It's bright and doesn't need time to warm up but still, it has its own issues. Any idea on the price of that Dell?

I haven't heard anything about pricing. I'm hoping for around $1500. Hoping :D

I agree with your points about LED vs CCFL.

Of all the purchases one can make with computers/Apple/peripherals I find displays the most nerve-wracking. It's the interface with the computer. So much can be wrong. Dead/stuck/bright pixels, uneven backlighting, etc. It's always a huge relief to end up with a perfect display and I hang on to them as long as possible.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I must admit if the 27" LED from Apple did not have mini display port, and was able to hook up my GTX285 & mac pro I would have ordered one.

Now though I will have to look elsewhere.

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR

I agree with your points about LED vs CCFL.

Of all the purchases one can make with computers/Apple/peripherals I find displays the most nerve-wracking. It's the interface with the computer. So much can be wrong. Dead/stuck/bright pixels, uneven backlighting, etc. It's always a huge relief to end up with a perfect display and I hang on to them as long as possible.

Well man, isn't apple now the mobile devices company, according to it's CEO?
I wouldn't really bother with them, even less when they are releasing another consumer display and according ti their website not even supplying hd5870 as an upgrade.

If you seriously want a good display go look at Nec and stay away from the HP Lp series since they are inconsistent on their colors. Dell, well they're not bad...

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I don't get it what is so special in LED... it has its own issues.

If something had all pluses and no minuses everyone would use it. The trouble is that everything is a trade-off. If Apple used something else people would complain about that. Apple does not need to be in the display business any more than it needs to be in the printer business. If you like Dell's monitor better you should buy it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If something had all pluses and no minuses everyone would use it. The trouble is that everything is a trade-off. If Apple used something else people would complain about that. Apple does not need to be in the display business any more than it needs to be in the printer business. If you like Dell's monitor better you should buy it.

That changes nothing what I said. Nothing is perfect, I simply added that the lack of LED in that Dell may not be that bad and that I don't get the fuss about LED, everyone talks about it just like it was something perfect. I don't care what is the brand if it offers me what I need and want. Everything have their pros and cons, you just have to decide what are the most important for you

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
My only hesitation in ordering this Dell when it becomes available is that it is a revision one device.

I have one of Dell's first 24" 16:10 LCDs (2405FPW) from 2004 and it still works fine. I think it was about $1200 at the time and when I got it I felt like I was at CTU (from 24).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
That changes nothing what I said. Nothing is perfect, I simply added that the lack of LED in that Dell may not be that bad and that I don't get the fuss about LED, everyone talks about it just like it was something perfect. I don't care what is the brand if it offers me what I need and want. Everything have their pros and cons, you just have to decide what are the most important for you

The advantage to LEDs, in theory, is that because they don't need time to warm up you can start doing critical colour corrections immediately. My display calibration thingy advises me to wait 30 minutes before calibrating my non-LED display. Also LEDs are supposed to be more stable in their light output over time, while CCFLs can fade and colour shift over the years.

However, this is only an advantage if you do critical colour corrections. If you don't, then there isn't much advantage. So - not to dispute what you were saying - everything has their pros and cons and people should buy what works for them..... but this is the 'pro' for LEDs.

Too often I read these threads and someone is taking purchasing advice from people whose needs are different than theirs - I'm not pointing the finger at anyone - just leaving this as a comment for anyone reading this thread. People should get advice on purchasing monitors from people who use the monitor for the same tasks. As ValSalva alluded to above, the display quality is very important to using the computer.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Also LEDs are supposed to be more stable in their light output over time, while CCFLs can fade and colour shift over the years.

When LEDs are close to the end of their life, the light output levels decrease - obviously. LEDs are also not created equal - some age faster/slower than others. The problem I can see with LED monitors over time is that since the backlighting is an LED matrix, you'll have spots on the screen that are darker than the rest due to the non-uniform ageing.

So if you plan to keep a monitor till its dying days, you'll either have to choose between splotchy monitors (LED) or colour-shifted ones (CCFL) :p

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
This may give Dell the option to drop the price on the U2711 down to $999 USD to match Apple. And sell the U3011 at $1299 USD.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
LED advantages:

reduce motion blur

blacker blacks

more colors - leds cover a broader range of reds and greens

longer lifespan

lower power consumption

lower pollution because of longer lifespan and lower power consumption

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
When LEDs are close to the end of their life, the light output levels decrease - obviously. LEDs are also not created equal - some age faster/slower than others. The problem I can see with LED monitors over time is that since the backlighting is an LED matrix, you'll have spots on the screen that are darker than the rest due to the non-uniform ageing.

So if you plan to keep a monitor till its dying days, you'll either have to choose between splotchy monitors (LED) or colour-shifted ones (CCFL) :p

Yes, but the LEDs maintain their designed brightness for longer- and then go splotchy....

And yep, at their end of their days neither display is going to look good! Blech. The trick is to sell it 2nd hand the month before they go bad. :)

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Also LEDs are supposed to be more stable in their light output over time, while CCFLs can fade and colour shift over the years.

This is true and a very practical consideration. Any CCFL LCD used in a work environment will likely become pretty washed out within 2 or 3 years (my last gen PowerBook was probably half as bright as it was when I bought when I finally gave it to my mother). LEDs are an all or nothing deal. They just work as intended until they finally wear out and die.

LEDs are also brighter (but that isn't always desirable—personal needs dictate whether this is important).

But a big reason Apple isn't using CCFL: mercury. Apple is quite obviously on the eco train. And cutting out mercury and reducing power consumption (in theory anyway) are big pluses from a marketing standpoint.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston

If $1500 isn't out of your price range, bump it up $500 and get a 24" HP Dreamcolor. If you are worried about critical colors, this is the best panel you can buy for the money.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't know any wide gamut monitor which is not CCFL, so it should not be put down.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

I think Dell's quality control is far more spotty than Apples. And the last Dell display I owned had such an aggressive anti-glare coating that I couldn't stand it. Display manufacturers seem to be really crazy with the amount of that stuff they use.

But I agree that everyone has different preferences and needs. To say that one particular configuration is better than all others is simply a personal thing.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Well man, isn't apple now the mobile devices company, according to it's CEO?
I wouldn't really bother with them, even less when they are releasing another consumer display and according ti their website not even supplying hd5870 as an upgrade.

If you seriously want a good display go look at Nec and stay away from the HP Lp series since they are inconsistent on their colors. Dell, well they're not bad...

So are you saying that Apple is not having the 5870 as a upgrade kit option for older Mac Pro's? can you please provide a link because I was thinking about getting the 5870 for my 08 Mac Pro and using Apple's 27 inch LED

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If $1500 isn't out of your price range, bump it up $500 and get a 24" HP Dreamcolor. If you are worried about critical colors, this is the best panel you can buy for the money.

I hope it's less than $1500 :D

I tried an HP LP2480zx which is a 24" RGB backlit monitor. The problem was they couldn't get me a display which either didn't have dead pixels or a brown color cast over part of the display. And HP was MISERABLE to deal with on the phone. After hours and hours and four displays I got my money back. Kind of soured me on anything HP.

I think Dell's quality control is far more spotty than Apples. And the last Dell display I owned had such an aggressive anti-glare coating that I couldn't stand it. Display manufacturers seem to be really crazy with the amount of that stuff they use.

But I agree that everyone has different preferences and needs. To say that one particular configuration is better than all others is simply a personal thing.

I have their U2311H and don't mind the coating. At least Dell is better than HP with regards to customer service and the UltraSharps have a partial guarantee.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
This upcoming display from Dell sounds perfect.

It's 30", is 16:10, is an IPS 10-bit display, matte, and has a lower pixel density than the 27"ACD.

The only negative is that it is not LED backlit. The main advantages to LED backlighting are that it takes a while for fluorescent backlights to warm up and they don't tend to last as long as LEDs. Apple's 27" ACD has white LED backlight so there is no advantage to color gamut there. And this Dell displays over 1 billion colors.

But I will probably not get the U2711 because the higher pixel density makes reading text and menus harder and I will not get the 27" ACD because of the high gloss, pixel density, and questionable quality (iMac screen issues).

But Dell's 30" UltraSharp U3011 model has IPS panel with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels, so your willing to pay $300 extra for 3 more inches with the same res as Apple 27" for $999? for the same price that your going to pay for Dell's u3011 I will rather get HP's 30-inch ZR30w with the res of 2560x1600 instead

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But Dell's 30" UltraSharp U3011 model has IPS panel with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels, so your willing to pay $300 extra for 3 more inches with the same res as Apple 27" for $999? for the same price that your going to pay for Dell's u3011 I will rather get HP's 30-inch ZR30w with the res of 2560x1600 instead

The U3011 has resolution of 2560x1600

The panel has a massive 2560x1600 resolution in 16:10 format, and 1000:1 contrast ratio (10000:1 dynamic), 7 ms (g2g) response time, and 270 cd/m2 brightness. The IPS panel has a color depth of 1.07 billion colors. Dell U3011 also comes pre-calibrated from the factory just like U2410H and U2711H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.