The Dream Machine for every Mac Lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ODLAWMAC, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ODLAWMAC macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Just Purchased a new mac pro with two 30" Apple Cinema Displays

Just wanted to know what different people think about this purchase.

I will be using the computer with Final Cut Studio & Logic Studio

Mac Pro Full Specs.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    6GB (2 x 1GB) (2 x 4GB)
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Two 16x SuperDrives
    AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
    Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    1-year Dot Mac basic membership

Thanks guys! Any opinions/Viewpoints would be greatly appreciated!!!:D:apple:

[​IMG]

2. MikeL macrumors 6502

I think that if you want people's opinions, you should have asked for them before you made the purchase. Why ask after?

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Probably more about bragging rights than anything...:rolleyes: Wonderful system nevertheless...hope you enjoy it!

4. fernmeister macrumors regular

I think 2 + 8 = 10.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. ODLAWMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

No i actually did not purchase ram from apple. Way to expensive. the Mac Pro comes standard 2GB and i purchased 4GB from MacSales for $330 instead of
    $1500 from apple. I also purchased a 500 GB Seagate HD From Mac Sales and didn't upgrade HD'S with apple (too pricey) !! Lets clear the Ram story up though. I will have a total of 4 sticks of memory. 2 sticks with 1 GB on each ( 1GB x 2 ) 2 other sticks will have 2GB on each (2GB x 2). Sorry for the confusion. Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming.!!!!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's not my dream machine. Mine would be a maxed out 15" MacBook Pro - portability.
    Or a 24" maxed out iMac for Team Fortress 2.

8. altoption macrumors newbie

Let us know how you like the two 30" ACDs. What are you working on now?

9. newtech macrumors 6502

Pretty cool, though that memory config. is not optimal. 4 X 2 + 2 X 1 would be better, or better yet 8 X 1 or 4 X 2 + 4 X 1 for optimized bandwidth.

10. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Wouldn't you want 2GBx4 for optimized, quad-channel bandwidth? For best speed, it's best to use as little RAM as you need, and populate as few slots as possible while running in full channel mode (in this case, four channels, ergo four sticks).

And, lol, I think this was more about bragging/gloating than it was asking our opinions ;)

I've given you mine though.... you should probably try the 2x4 arrangement. Hehehe, and yeah... 2+8 = 10.

Personally, my dream Mac would be (what I at least consider) a real Mac. Probably a maxed out PowerMac 9600... or maybe a Mac IIfx. Obviously the fx would be more for the fun factor than for any kind of practical use whatsoever.... it was a $10k system with up to 128MB RAM (absolutely nuts given it was 1989), bunch of custom ICs, a 68040+FPU running at a blazing fast 40 MHz CPU/40 MHz bus speed ;), and famously dubbed "Wicked Fast."

The 9600 would be pretty fun too though. 1.5 GB RAM back in '97? 12 DIMM slots! Nuts. I guess I'd pop in... like... an original Radeon Mac Edition PCI, Radeon 9200, and SATA, USB 2.0, FireWire 800 and UWSCSI 320 cards (yay for 6 PCI slots..)... then populate it with a DVD burner, CD-RW, and four 1TB HDDs.

Interleaved mode 60ns FPM DIMMs. I wonder if it'd run with more modern 50ns. Probly not. Hm. Could get Tiger up and running on it in no time, pop in a Sonnet 800 MHz upgrade (maybe they even have 1 GHz for the 9x00s, I don't remember). =p

http://www.geocities.com/pm9600g4/my-9600-mods.html This guy modded his 9600... he has.... eight hard drives in it. And a CD burner. And a Combo-drive. And 3xSCSI Apple CD-ROM drives. Lol.

That's what I think :D

11. ODLAWMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Ram

I think 6GB of ram is plenty for this machine considering I'm working on an Imac G5 20" 2GHz 1GB ram. Ilife 08 & Iwork are already installed. I also have pro apps that run pretty well on my machine like Final Cut Pro & Logic Pro. Actually i am looking to sell my machine....Any takers. :D

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Actually, I am dropping the 2GB of stock RAM and putting in 4x2GB for 8. Will let you know the benchmarks of 8 vs 10 once I get the RAM tomorrow.

13. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i'm putting Samsung F1 drives into mine, 1TB as system drive, and 2TB in RAID 0, should be a LOT faster than the drives apple supplies. I'm using the 320gb as a windows drive. Would have gone for Raptors, but the noise issue put me off especially as the f1 beats the raptors in the areas important to my needs, and 8 times the space.

14. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hmm - well not quite _my_ dream Mac, but congrats nonetheless!

Enjoy! :D

15. jolton macrumors member

Did the same purchase as the OP a while back, but ultimately ended up selling 1 of the 30" displays as I thought is was just overkill.

Took some of that money and put it towards the 10gb in my Pro :p

16. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Now I'm lost. Sorry you confused me there. :confused:

Your first statement said 2GBx4 but then to populate as few slots as possible. Wouldn't this config use up 4 slots? But then suggested 2x4 arrangement. Are you saying 2x4GB as what the OP said? I was about to order my RAM but then I read your post. :p Please clarify. :)

17. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Why only two displays? How can you work like that?

18. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

That was my original intention.
    Problem is nobody is willing to give me any decent money toward the 2GB of Apple memory.
    I'll probably end up keeping it.
    Why are you dropping your 2GB of memory?

19. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

If you populate both risers with your 4 x 2GB modules, wouldn't that enable the optimized four-channel bandwidth so that the extra 2 x 1GB modules would add to the performance?
    Or would having the extra 2 modules on one riser somehow hurt performance?

20. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I've read on Barefoot that we don't have to kick away the basic 2x1gig from Apple. If you buy more ram (let's say 4x2gigs) from 3rd party, just install it fairly in the slots (up & down) and then just add the apple 2x1gig on the top memory rack, filling up the top slots.

21. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

With the money you just dropped, I'm surprised you didn't go with the 3.2GHz for fun.

22. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

23. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet.

I am scrambling to put together funds for a 3.2 octo.
    Will probably sell a guitar or 2 & put the rest on a card.
    How does Final Cut & CS2 work under newer machines.
    I wont have cash for newest software upgrades for a while.

24. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

a grab of the order number email or it didnt happen:rolleyes:

im sure most people on here would brag if they bought this system would they not?
    :eek:

25. mrcandy macrumors regular

Correct, the 4x2GB go in slots 1 and 2 of both risers, the original Apple RAM is moved to slots 3 and 4 of the top riser. Barefoot tests show no difference in memory performance between this configuration and 4x2GB alone, but the extra 2 GB's will certainly improve overall performance.