The Earliest We Will Be Seeing a Antenna-Coated Revised iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Oct 2, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

How early do you think we would be seeing a antenna non-conductive coated iPhone 4's, to fix the antenna gate issue, introduced in the market?

September 30th is over. Apple will act soon. But how fast? :confused:

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What issue? You literally can't walk into an Apple store and be sure that you will get an iPhone 4. 3 Months after its release. That phone with the "issues" sold 100,000 in just a few days in China, and they have like 4 store there.

The iPhone will be updated next year. Like usual. If you want one now, buy now. The iPhone 4 is imo one of the greatest pieces of electronics I have ever owned (and I had the original iPhone and a 3Gs).

3. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

There will be absolutely NO hardware changes to the iPhone 4, period.

IF Apple had even considered a revision they would have pulled iP4s off the shelf long ago.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Give it a rest already. Never going to happen. But you keep holding out there if it helps you sleep at night. Just stop starting new threads with the same question over and over.

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Are you for real? A coating of what, butter? Next there will coatgate, "My Apple bumper scratched my coating, oh woe is me".

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Asinine post, where did you get that misinformation? As said before there will be NO hardware changes to the current iPhone.

7. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

And so are you.

8. ikaveh macrumors regular

to those who are saying there is no chance that we see a fix:
    "We will reevaluate our plans after September 30th. We may have better ideas then" Steve Jobs

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The iPhone 4 is already antenna-coated. Where else would you like an antenna?

10. samcraig macrumors P6

they will reevaluate the bumper plan. And they did. The discontinued it and if people call in - they can still get a bumper. Otherwise - the next physical change that happens to the iPhone will be with the next version. No change is happening to the iPhone 4.0

11. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

12. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

What about these Gizmodo reports of different looking & feeling iPhone 4's that seemed to not have any attenuation issues...any credence? I'm guessing those were nothing more than hype like so much of it has all been.

Not trying to fuel any fire but I'm currently on the fence in my 28th day of returning an otherwise great IP4 for what I would hope to be a "newer" model that does not give me any antennae issues whatsoever. Is that even a real possibility - an iPhone 4 that truly does not have any antennae issues (naked of course)?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Since you're sincerely asking - I won't answer sarcastically. In short - any design that would impact the performance of the antenna for better or worse would need to get FCC approval (again). These documents are public after 4-6 weeks. Which means that if anything were done - it would be very obvious and not "secret." Furthermore - Apple's stance (whether it's accurate or not) has been that there's no issue. That the iPhone 4 has the best reception compared to all other iPhones and that only a small small small people have had any problems. So any change to the hardware after stating that quite clearly would be admitting fault - and that's something they cannot and will not do as it would be a PR nightmare and bring on an incredible media crapstorm.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Well said. Make this a sticky with the title: "No New Re-Design"

15. james90755 macrumors member

I second this well thought through response. Nice to see rational thinking and no flame.

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Or stop the OP from making new threads. :)

I heard samcraig was heavily sedated when he made that post. :D

Seriously, this OP has made numerous threads on this that have been wastelanded.

17. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why so much personal hate? You've contributed NOTHING to the thread so far.

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

He told you why in his post.

19. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I made the leap about three weeks ago. I got my free case and Im really happy with it and the reception is better than the 3 gs.

20. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

There ain't gonna be no coating on a stainless steel antenna. There's a reason it's called "stainless." It's notoriously hard to coat with anything and get it to stick for any length of time. Try coating your silverware with something and see if you can get it to stick. Can you imagine the outcry if Apple does coat it with something and after 2 weeks it all starts peeling off?

As long as Apple keeps the antenna on the outside and they keep making them out of stainless steel, there's never gonna be a coating. So if you're waiting for Apple to announce some new iPhone 4a or iPhone 4v2, don't hold your breath.

21. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

ppl really need to do their research before they start threads.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

^This.

23. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The press conference and Free Case Program was only meant to appease the mainstream media, who jumped all over the 'Antennagate' issue and those who had already/were just about to purchase an iPhone 4.
    Apple provided every avenue to those folks - full refund, free case, etc, so if you were unhappy, you had a get-out option.
    I've had an iPhone 4 for just over a month and I know 5 friends who have one also. Yes, the is a slight attenuation thing going on, but it's never become an issue for any of us - we've never dropped calls or lost data service.
    To be honest, even the tech media have moved on, because it really isn't an issue.
    It became one, purely because it was Apple's latest and greatest thing. If it was a generic HTC, LG, Samsung, etc that had the idea first, you'd hear nothing about it(well maybe a single post on Engadget, but that's it).