'The Elder Scrolls: Blades' Begins Rolling Out on App Store After Showcase at iPhone XS Event Last Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bethesda's iOS game "The Elder Scrolls: Blades" has begun rolling out in early access this week, after facing numerous delays in 2018 (via TouchArcade). The game was first announced at E3 2018, and then showcased by Bethesda Game Studios director Todd Howard at Apple's "Gather Round" iPhone XS event in September 2018.

As of now, the game is in early access and Bethesda is sending out invites in waves. If you're interested, you can create a Bethesda account to sign up for early access on the company's website, and more information about the program can be found on the game's FAQ page.

Apple used the mobile game as a way to showcase the A12 Bionic chip on the newest generation of iPhone devices. During the event, Howard said that Blades is a massive, first person role-playing game that is full of quests for players to complete in an open world.

In the game, you play as a member of the Blades, a group of the Empire's top agents who are forced into exile, forcing you to return to your hometown in an effort to help rebuild it. The game's App Store page highlights features like dungeon questing, city customization, player-versus-player arena battles, character and gear editing, and more.

The Elder Scrolls: Blades is available to download from the iOS App Store for free [Direct Link]. As with most free-to-play games, there are in-app purchases of up to $99.99.

Article Link: 'The Elder Scrolls: Blades' Begins Rolling Out on App Store After Showcase at iPhone XS Event Last Year

Reactions: travis64

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I hope. I admit I’m part of the problem where I only play free games...but I never do in app purchases. For $10 a month unlimited games and no in app purchases, I might do that.
This is what Apple is going to have to overcome with Arcade. The vast majority of mobile gamers play free games. It's what they're used to, and based on revenue, it's what they like. I'm skeptical Apple is going to be able to convince the IAP crowd to fork over $10 a month. Mobile gaming to me is simply a distraction or time killer, not a destination. I think it's the same for a lot of people. Arcade is going to need compelling content to even have a glimmer of a chance.

I'm not opposed to gaming subscription. I have an XBox Game Pass which is well worth it considering I paid $100 for a year. $100 is the cost of a typical AAA title + dlc season pass. Worth it.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Hopefully Apple Arcade will fix that.
That would require modified Elder Scrolls version without in-app purchase features.

In all honesty, some of the developers are just greedy with in app purchases. They want you to pay more than you would for a A-list game. One exception might be Nintendo since they see in app purchase games somewhat problematic.

Reactions: Saipher

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2018
I wonder if they're going to treat this game like they did Fallout 76. Release crap and attempt to fix later.
Well... this certainly didn’t look like “crap” when they showed it a year ago... and ship date already slid from September to December, then from December to March.
This game looks orders of magnitude more polished & involved than mobile Fallout. I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be/run as smooth as their demos.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
It’s actually pretty well done. I got my email that it was ready for download around 9:30 last night. The game flies on my 11” iPad Pro. Haven’t tried it on my Xs Max, though I’m sure it’s the same.

triton100

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I would gladly pay $99 for a premium full game (not free to play) mobile version of Elder Scrolls. But those days are gone as all the money is in gambling and addiction based mechanisms to keep you buying in app purchases.
-sigh-
Have never once paid for IAP to get further ahead in a game.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Early Access ….. starting to sound like Steam. Where you pay tons of money to test games in early Beta quality. And they're not ready to release until 3 years later. o_O

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I can't play it? I was amazed when I found it on my phone this morning but didn't have time.

Just went through the intro and mini-fight, created a bethesda account and tried to login. I just got a message that it's limited and everyone will get their turn. And that I should make sure notifications are enabled.

Weird: the game didn't ask me to allow notifications, so I went into the settings and enabled it manually.

And hour later I wanted to try again and I had to go through the intro again and it didn't remember my login/pass. I ended up on the still screen with the message.

:-(

kcslc

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2018
I would gladly pay $99 for a premium full game (not free to play) mobile version of Elder Scrolls. But those days are gone as all the money is in gambling and addiction based mechanisms to keep you buying in app purchases.
-sigh-
Well, Nintendo released a game with a single IAP of $9.99 to unlock the whole game. The whining about the price on this forum was immeasurable. It was one of the best mobile games I’ve ever played. It was fresh, challenging, and an innovative way to play a platformer with one hand. Well worth the $10.

I guess Nintendo should have implemented consumable micro transactions up to and including purchases of $99.99 like this Bethesda game and it would have been hailed as the game of all games on iOS.

I seriously don’t get people who play games on mobile. It simply is not worth the time, energy, or money.

Reactions: lunarworks

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I can't play it? I was amazed when I found it on my phone this morning but didn't have time.

Just went through the intro and mini-fight, created a bethesda account and tried to login. I just got a message that it's limited and everyone will get their turn. And that I should make sure notifications are enabled.

Weird: the game didn't ask me to allow notifications, so I went into the settings and enabled it manually.

And hour later I wanted to try again and I had to go through the intro again and it didn't remember my login/pass. I ended up on the still screen with the message.

:-(
Yeah, I had an issue this AM before heading out in which the game would sit at the splash screen. Restarted the app and it worked fine.

Since they are adding people in waves, you may be able to complete the tutorial and then it’s a waiting game. Somehow I ended up in the first wave and have made some progress upgrading the town and completing the quests currently available. There are still a ton of “jobs” to do, and of course the waiting game of opening the higher level chests (approx 6 hours for Gold) and buildings to be created.
[doublepost=1553788852][/doublepost]
Well, Nintendo released a game with a single IAP of $9.99 to unlock the whole game. The whining about the price on this forum was immeasurable. It was one of the best mobile games I’ve ever played. It was fresh, challenging, and an innovative way to play a platformer with one hand. Well worth the $10.

I guess Nintendo should have implemented consumable micro transactions up to and including purchases of $99.99 like this Bethesda game and it would have been hailed as the game of all games on iOS.

I seriously don’t get people who play games on mobile. It simply is not worth the time, energy, or money.
I don’t know that I would play this on my phone, but it’s pretty good on the iPad. And as for IAP, the only thing I’ve seen so far is buying gems to make things faster to complete. Not that big of a deal really.

Oh... maybe if you want the “scary tree” for your town, that’s available too.

Syrgul

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
I'd pay Bethesda $15-$30 for a good mobile Elder Scrolls games if it means I won't be nickel & dimed to death the time entire I'm playing.
Same here. I'm not opposed to dropping 10-20 on a game if it seems worthwhile. I've paid for Oceanhorn, The Bard's Tale, a couple of the Final Fantasy games to name a few. The kinds of games where I'm sure I won't clear it less than an hour.

However, I don't buy those kinds of games often enough to warrant the Arcade+ subscription. I might only buy 1 or 2 a year, because I'm more of a casual gamer. I might only hop on the game once or twice a week, but when I do, I'd much rather it be a quality game, and not a nickel and dime freemium.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2012
I cant remember the last game on iOS I got excited about. All the gaming innovation is happening on Steam in the indie scene.

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
Man i been waiting for this game forever!

don’t think there will be a need to pay any $.
Even the legendary weapons are just a little bit better then what you get by just playing the game.
The game seems pretty good for a iphone game.runs great on xr

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Well... this certainly didn’t look like “crap” when they showed it a year ago... and ship date already slid from September to December, then from December to March.
This game looks orders of magnitude more polished & involved than mobile Fallout. I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be/run as smooth as their demos.
Games never really look like crap when they show them off. It's only after beta and then release the warts start to show. Hopefully the delays let the polish the game. I have no more faith in studios when day one patches are the norm now.

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
After the POS that was Harry Potter mobile game and how it was impossible to play for more than a few minutes without paying, I will not be downloading this. I am not interested in playing a SCAM.

GregJohn

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
I’m not the only one who thinks this games graphics got a massive downgrade I hope.... they even re-showed it enhanced with the A12 Bionic but it looks worse than even the version before that

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I hope. I admit I’m part of the problem where I only play free games...but I never do in app purchases. For $10 a month unlimited games and no in app purchases, I might do that.
Just so you know Apple arcade will only feature premium prices games, like the ones you buy. It won’t have any of the free to okay games on its platform.
So no Fortnite or the new Call Of Duty game and no Diablo or PUBG either.

This Edler Scrolls isn’t our in the Uk store yet, but seeing as Rush Rally 3 was launched yesterday on the UK store who cares?