OS X The Elder Scrolls online

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by casperes1996, Feb 7, 2014.

1. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Hey guys. I've heard/seen a lot of people worrying about The Elder Scrolls Online being either Cider or Wine or something like that for the Mac version, but as part of the beta testing, I can say that it seems mostly native code, with an odd file placement system, and a long plist to explain it to the system. I'm under NDA for the beta test, so I can't reveal much more than that, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to say this... If not, sorry Bethesda, my bad.

2. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

3. leman macrumors 604

Actually, you are not even allowed to say that you are participating in the beta ;) Its all in the NDA, read it carefully.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

I don't think care about that since people have been mentioning being in beta on their Facebook page for awhile. I think they are more concerned with actual info about the game being leaked (other than what they permitted the press to).

5. Dirtyharry50, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I think they do care about it or it would not be in the NDA. I'm sure it is there because if you cannot disclose you are even in the beta, you are less likely to be discussing any particulars of it and either inadvertently or deliberately leaking any information at all about the game.

The OP is a good example of why that clause is in there. This that they posted:

"it seems mostly native code"

is misinformation. It seems mostly native? What does that even mean? It's best to leave that question to be addressed by someone from the company making the game if they are willing to at this time, which the developer was in the thread I linked to. This is just a simple example of why they prefer that people in beta not discuss it at all outside the beta program.

6. jedolley macrumors 68000

You guys are real sticklers today. Obviously it's in the NDA to not disclose that you are a participant, but it also appears they are not acting on that disclosure since many people have made statements about getting into Beta for weeks now on their FB page.

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Okay but that doesn't change the terms of the NDA nor the intent of those terms. That's all I was saying. It often is impossible to enforce the terms. They rely on the honor system but of course not all people respect that. Not all beta testers even read the NDA either. You can see examples of that right in the other thread about this game here.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sometimes I really wonder what is all the fuss about having an NDA, obviously someone thinks it's good, to keep those who are unhappy with the game in question from blabbing before the advent of Retail. I'm really glad that the Sony/Devs lifted the NDA for Landmark. They have asked the community to pitch in and help develop the game, might as well talk about it in public. And it saves the Devs a lot of headaches and work, imo. See the Everquest Next Landmark thread if you want to see my my thoughts on that game. :)

9. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Well it isn't my game, my company nor my NDA so I think I've said more than enough about it already at this point. People will think what they like and do what they like in most cases anyway so... ;)

I cannot get excited about anything EverQuest anymore sadly except possibly to go back in time and play my alts in the original game some for fun and nostalgia. I've been thinking of doing that, revisiting all sorts of famous and not so famous places in the old game that I loved to go play in. I have two characters capable of soloing all over the place, not including most recent expansions of course. I think I'd be willing to reboot for some of this fun at some point. We'll see.

As for EverQuest II, they screwed that game up so badly with the way they handled end game balance and AA requirements just to level to cap a while back that I quit the game and never returned which is sad. I liked it up until they broke it that way. And their fix? They will sell you the AA which is hard to get just playing solo (huge grind) for real money so you can level up to cap if you want and that is just for one toon, never mind any alts you might want to level too. My main got frozen in place by this and I won't soon forgive them for it. The design of WoW and its balance and scaling at end game is infinitely better. I'm still enjoying WoW.

The Elder Scrolls looks interesting but I enjoy WoW so for me it is kind of what's the point? There isn't one. That isn't passing any judgement on ESO either. I just wouldn't have time for it is all. I still haven't played Skyrim.

Even if it was good, the same holds true for the upcoming EverQuest Next. I wouldn't have time for it. Even if it turns out to be a great game, I am already playing a great game. In a sense, I think this is why so many MMOs have trouble competing with WoW. It is a very good game, not perfect but pretty damned good really with something for just about anyone to enjoy in it.

For me personally as mentioned above, SOE burned me once with EQ2 so I am wary of them to begin with and the most important problem of all? They could not be bothered supporting Macintosh. Game over.

I will give ESO a lot of credit there. A real native release on day one is very cool and if I was not already hooked on something else I would try it for sure. I hope that it does well and those who aren't into WoW but are interested in this have a lot of fun with it.