The Elders Hate The Long Hair O_o

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jun 4, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My parents, aunts, uncle, they hate it. Well not hate, but highly dislike my choice of growing out my hair. I think it's pretty funny :D It's just hair. Less maintenance (which equals less money spent on haircuts) among other things. I'll probably go back to a short cut eventually but it took so long for me the get this far, I'm not going to chop it all off. It's barely shoulder length.

Where do you think long hair sits in our society (on the male side, woman can go short or long)? I don't care about what others think but I do care about my looks... if that makes any sense. I mean, I dress like any other 20 sumthin' and have good hygene. Do a lot of people look down upon long hair or just the older folk? Of course I'm not immune to the judgement of looks, but I would say do what makes you happy. If you have a crazy hairstyle and love it I think that's great. So, here's a recent shot with good ol' photobooth.

[​IMG]

I threw in a smirk for you guys :D

Another thing about asian hair, every asian boy pretty much has the same exact hair cut, short and spiked, this was one of the reasons why I grew it out and let it grow.

Ok Discuss!

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Dont feel too bad.

I have long hair into a pony tail and some of my elders hate it too.

Espically my father.

Just be yourself man.

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I used to have long hair (its fairly short now). It wasn't that long but pretty long. It really gets annoying. Always in your face, longer to dry, sweat easier. To each his own, but I don't think I will ever grow as long as I once had it. Plus it was just awkward when my hair was longer than my girlfriends.

My mom absolutely loved my hair, she likes men with long hair.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

That's a bob. You gotta grow it out all the way, like half way down your back. And get some facial hair for Pete's sake.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Go long and spiked... with some wild colored highlights. Or what I like to call "anime hair". Asians can pull it off. White boys can't.

I had long hair (like middle of my shoulder blades) w/the sides and back shaved for a long time. Eventually my hair started looking ratty so I got it cut. Now it's short, black, and "messy" w/rotating red, blue, purple, green or white highlights every couple of weeks.

Lethal

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Grow it like you like it. Tell'm to suck it up, and deal with it.

Attached Files:

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I had long hair until I was 21 - then I had to get a job:( . I'm a student again, but just can't be bothered with taking care of hair. Still, I loved it and think you should keep it long until you can't.
    I found that long hair (like a hairy chest :D ) attracts certain kinds of women (and men sometimes too) and repels a good number too. Anyway, you need to grow it longer! Add some colors to it too at some point!

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea it gets annoying sometimes, but I've gotten used to most of it. This is the first summer I've had it this long so I'll see how hot it gets under here.

When growing out my hair I had it long and spiked in all sorts of crazy ways. Also had it bleached at one time. If I do go back to a shorter cut I'm goin to go with a longer messy short cut. Although I hate doing my hair all the time and it's a pain to get it looking right. That's aother plus of long hair, throw some water in it and brush it out and you're set.

So is the ladies part a good thing or bad thing? I had no luck with short so I guess I got nothing to lose with it long. I would add some color if I knew a good stylist or sumthin'. Apparentely white people (no offense) don't know how to cut asian hair. Or atleast with what I've experienced.

9. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

tell em its your hair, my dad hates my hair too, but o well im not chaingin it

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I don't really care, I laugh whenever they ask when I'm goin to cut my hair. I just don't see why they think it's like a bad thing. They say I look like a person from a third world country. My dad called me Jesus the other day :D LOL

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

none taken, though it's not white people so much as people who do not have much experience cutting asian's hair. as i mentioned in a previous thread about your hair, my wife is japanese so i know the problems of getting a haircut for asians in white-bread country.

it's a good thing and a bad thing in my experience. some women find it irresistible (they only date guys with long hair), but some, and sometimes ones you like, just don't find it a turn on at all.

yeah, look for a stylist. or at least try to keep it neat by getting your ends cut.

YT

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup..people always make "wise" comments about me hair...I basicly stopped caring. I like my hair, and if other people dont, why should I care?

(My hairs is long too, a good deal past my shoulders)

13. Queso macrumors G4

I had long hair until my mid-20s. When my brother asked me to be best man at his wedding my over-dominant great-aunt's first comment was "At last. Now finally he'll cut his hair!!". When she came to the wedding to find that all I'd done is tie it back in a pony tail she didn't speak to me all day, even brushing past me in the wedding party welcome line up at the reception. The bridesmaids and I had a good laugh about it, and once the party started properly my flowing main came out big time as I hit the dance floor :cool:

I still like the though of long hair, but these days my receding hairline would mean I'd look like Francis Rossi out of Status Quo (not good), so it's kept short instead.

I say you should keep it long for the moment. It's one of the perks of youth. Enjoy it.

14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

If you like it long, keep it long. Nothin' wrong with that.

My hair is about shoulder length right now, but I'm about to get it cut to right below my ears. Once it gets as long as it is now, it starts to annoy me because it takes so long to dry it and is just annoying in general.

I don't see myself ever having short hair, really, unless I go bald. :p

15. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

It's your hair my friend. Tell them to feck off. :)

FJ

16. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hmm... Read the Bible will you... 1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
    1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

God made you, God tells you what to do.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Oh dear. I guess this guy won't make it to Heaven then :D

[​IMG]

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's a Nazarene thang. :)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. Queso macrumors G4

You need to wash it skunk, so it's bouncy and behaving like Jesus' :p

21. aprilgrey34 macrumors member

Your hair isn't long!

My brother, also an asian boy, did the same thing and grew his hair long, down to touching his shoulders. My father for some reason was really bothered by it and angrily told him to cut his hair at least 10 times a day. I didn't really like it either, mostly because he didn't even try to comb it or anything so it always looked very messy.

But your hair is nice and neat :) . I like it.

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I kinda agree with Lethal...or do something like Nicholas Tse's awesome hair in "The Promise". Long strands, some gelled out dread/braids...I think his hair was probably one of the better parts of that movie. You probably can't get away with the feather cuffs on your shirt like he can though. :p

Attached Files:

23. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Im growing mine too to braid it, it started off bad but now my Mom likes it

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Aren't the people in charge of the world the former hippies who grew their hair long? Why are there still people who complain when men have long hair?

I had short hair for a while, then grew it long for a while, then went back to shorter hair, and a mustache has been known to appear or disappear now and then. My mom complains (in a nice way) when I get a haircut because she thinks I should have it longer. But you can't really tell anyway since I wear my Q hat 24/7.

I've had coworkers ranging from men with buzzcuts to men with pony tails, and nobody minds one way or another. Perhaps we'd find it more surprising if a woman coworker had a buzzcut. But, again, what's the big deal?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry to resurrect an old thread like this. my family have never really disliked my long hair but I sometimes felt out of place in public, and my grandad was never keen on it. Always calling me a "hippie" and such :D . Though to pull of this kind of hairstyle you have to be a manager of an art firm or an actor or something.

It's shorter now :eek:

Attached Files: