The end of Netscape

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

After more than a decade, Netscape is gone. I remember using version 1 at school, and I use 9 as my primary browser at work (Safari at home). I'm going to miss it :(

Netscape are suggesting that users try Firefox. Personally I found it hopelessly unstable. While Firefox would crash almost daily*, NS9 has crashed only once on the same system. I plan to keep using NS until it's not practical to continue to do so.

Does anyone else have any Netscape stories?

*I know that somebody's going to pipe up and say "it shouldn't do that" but I'm lazy so instead of trying to find out the cause of the problem, I simply fixed it by changing to Netscape.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think I can just remember using Netscape on our Performa back in the day, when we first got the internet. I guess at some point we changed to Exlporer. I can't say that I've used it since.

I'm sure clevin has some stories.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The first major casualty in the MS Domination Wars. RIP, Netscape, and thanks, Marc & Jim, we'll never forget what you did for us.

6. NEiMac macrumors regular

Netscape isn't really dead it lives on in Firefox really. It is sad that the actual one is going though, I loved it back in my windows 95 and 98 days. Sure wished Microsoft never would have made internet Explorer, bet windows would be a better product too.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Netscape + Altavista pretty much summed up my junior years of computer class research.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

summed up my middle school computer usage

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thanks for remembering me:)

yes I do.

Its mixed feeling, to be honest.

I started with NS 3.x in college (1996~1997), followed every release until NS4.5, even when large amount of website declared themselves "IE only".

I eventually transferred to mozilla since 2001, at version 0.9.7, started following firefox at phoenix 0.2.

Altho I always have latest Netscape on all my computers, Firefox has been the one I used most.

Its sad, at the same time, Im glad AOL can finally stop tarnishing the brand of netscape.

It was, is, and will be, always, the one who started the whole thing, whatever somebody is using, may that be IE, KHTML, or Safari. There is always one thing in their UA, which says

I will just finish with this

[​IMG]

R.I.P

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

That's too bad. Netscape was a pioneer in web browsers, and it's sad to see it go. I use Navigator every once in a while, pretty stable browser.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

4 words

Internet-In-A-Box..Came with Netscape version .99

RIP Netscape..:(

Thanks Larry.

[edit] sorry I meant Marc Andreessen [/edit]

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eh i dont really care its just a browser after all lol

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Those who refuse to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it...

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This is just typical... :mad:

Oh well, hopefully Firefox 3 has become a reasonably adequate browser by February 1st... and if not, there's always Camino which might eventually work out some of my (very) long list of issues...

15. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Aww that's kind of sad, although it's only to be expected considering it was just Mozilla (and later Firefox) with lots of AOL ***** bloating it down.

Still, yeah, it's sad. I remember IE3 and Netscape ..3? Gold? which were my first experiences of the Internet after simialar things like CIX and BBS's. I used Netscape much more at the time (it was so much better than IE it wasn't even questionable), in conjunction with Yahoo and then Altavista.

Then IE4 came out and kind of... won. I never really liked IE much, but well you know the whole default installation story, and I'll bet most Mac users use Safari.

Google appeared one day, I first heard about it on Slashdot and the rest is history. That rocked.

AOL was, unsurprisingly, the worst thing that ever happened to Netscape.

RIP

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good old Netscape.

Since it has only a 0.6% market share these days, it's time to move on.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

mmmm.. can't agree, there are many browsers out there with similar market share, opera has probably around 1%. And it still going strong...

But I agree about moving on, for different reason tho. AOL is just such a bad name, it horrified me... (except its sports blog)

18. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Aww netscape was my first experience with the internet way way way back in the early-mid 90s when i was like 10 :(

Untill I got my mac I had been using netscape on my ***** old PC for years... my mom still uses it as her primary browser(she's not happy they are ending it).

Is this already in final build? I'm going to have to download all of the different versions just for sentimental reasons.

I have fallen in love with camino and it is my primary browser, but even that has its roots strongly tied into netscape.

19. doobi18 macrumors 6502

why has anyone been using netscape this millenium?

20. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I never used Netscape but I'll be sad to see one of the founding fathers as it were of the internet to go.

At least they're giving it a decent sendoff.

21. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You mean other than the reasons that have already been given? :confused:

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad to see.

Started with Netscape when it first came out -- PC and Mac.

23. StuPidQPid macrumors member

Oh, that's kind of sad.
    Started me reminiscing about my first forays on the internet using TelNet, BBS, and the forerunner of Netscape, NCSA Mosaic.
    Mmm. If only I'd come up with an idea like Amazon, Ebay, or whatever then :(

BTW did any of the Brits here notice that Steve Furber the designer of the BBC Micro was awarded a CBE today - That was my first real computer, way back in about 1984!

Yikes now I'm giving away my age...

24. tikitommy macrumors regular

mosaic came out end of 93, beginning of 94 i wanna say. my freshman year of college. people had been using gopher, then appears wonderful mosaic. then the money guy hired the kids who developed mosaic from UIUC. those were the days. before the pr0n became big, they was one site that was just a picture of a topless page 3 girl and if you hit refresh, new pic would appear. that was cutting edge!

25. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Netscape is a piece of web history, and I too will be sad to see go.

My first experience with "Backwards Compatibility" came with Netscape and IE... notably with the ghastly Netscape 4.

While it is sad to see it go, I am glad for it's birth to Mozilla and FireFox - without which (and the credited encouragement of some third-party organizations) we would not have the adoption of web standardization, at least to the degree we see now. Don't forget that in it's heyday, Netscape pulled just as many proprietary browser tricks as IE. Who here remembers <blink>?

Granted if the shoes were on the other foot, Netscape would have done the same thing to Explorer, I will be sad to see a piece of nostalgia pass into the Great User Experience in the Sky.

RIP Netscape.