Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
Hey everyone,

honestly I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but every so often I do pick up one of those books and read. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that Potter's going to die in the 7th book? Seemingly, if Potter does die, then he'd be following the "heroic cycle"! :p

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Who knows, J.K.R. has hinted at it.

But maybe she's just hinting that it could happen to build the suspense and he won't really die.

Or maybe she knows that we'll figure that he won't die and so he will die and it will be a big shocker.

But since we would know that we will die the even bigger shocker would be him really living instead of dying.

Or possibly, we may find out that Harry's been on acid the whole time and made all this magic business up. ;)

Honestly, I wonder wether I would be happy with him dying, but I don't know if I would be happy with him living and everything being all honky dory. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be done well, and I don't think we'll be disappointed.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
We'll discover that Lord Voldemort is Harry Potter's father.

Nooooo!!!! You are not my father!!! He's dead!!!! You killed my father!! Ahhhhh!!!!

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Lacero said:

Nooooo!!!! You are not my father!!! He's dead!!!! You killed my father!! Ahhhhh!!!!
Search your feelings Harry, you know it to be true.

What i think'd be cool, although i don't think this would really happen, would be if Harry destroyes the horcruxes, kills voldemort, has eternal fame and glory, and then gets woken up by an alarm clock and aunt petunia yelling at him.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Lacero said:

Then he'll cut off Harry's hand with his lightsab-- oops, I mean wand.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
SummerBreeze said:
Then he'll cut off Harry's hand with his lightsab-- oops, I mean wand.
if you've seen the gof movie, wormtail's hand looks suspiciously like luke's (fake hands i mean)...foreshadowing?*

*note: wormtail's hand looks nothing like luke's

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Scenario 1: Harry finds and destroys the remaining Horcruxes and kills Voldemort. All is well.

Scenario 2: Voldemort or another manages to kill Harry. Finding and destruction of Horcruxes become irrelevant. All is not well.

Scenario 3: Harry finds and destroys the remaining Horcruxes, but is killed either in the process or during the ensuing fighting. Someone else kills Voldemort. Mostly all is well.

Scenario 4: Harry finds and destroys the remaining Horcruxes, but someone else kills Voldemort. All is well.

At least one of them will have to die, but after my disastrous predictions regarding the HBP, I'm not speculating further.

Golden_315

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Lord Voldemort, Lord Vader?? Supposedly killed father?

...right. I'm farily sure Harry's gonna die. I just hope it isn't the horribly cliche way of killed same time he kills Voldemort. Or dies protecting someone. Ugh. Something tells me it will be. I just though rowling has more creative than that.

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
I would kill myself if Rowling ended it with:

"Harry woke up with a start, and with a particularly large yawn, recalled his complex dream that he had last night..."

:eek: :mad: :p

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
cruxed said:
I would kill myself if Rowling ended it with:

"Harry woke up with a start, and with a particularly large yawn, recalled his complex dream that he had last night..."

:eek: :mad: :p

worst still Harry's not a wizard after all?...
:confused:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cruxed said:

"Yo, I had this trippy dream last night. Something 'bout wizzerds 'n magic and flying brooms. Totally f***ed up. Yo, pass me more of those 'shrooms, *****. That **** totally worked."

The End.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Dumbledore will come back in the last book. Guaranteed.

Voldemort will be destroyed.

Harry lives, all is good with the universe.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
DJY said:
she hasn't even started writing the last book yet has she?
So we have probably two years before we will know!
No she wrote the first chapter or so and she wrote the last chapter. She knows how it all ends. :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
From what I've read of Rowling's comments, the ending is going to be that they all become hooked on Dance Dance Revolution and decide to stop their silly magical wars, concluding with a dance-off between Harry and Voldemort which leaves them both too tired to fight.

Oh, spoiler warning:

Hermione runs off with Hagrid, and Ron and Neville explore "other options."

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iGary said:
Dumbledore will come back in the last book. Guaranteed.
Hmmm... I haven't read OotP quite yet, I take it he died in the latest installment? :(

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
jsw said:
From what I've read of Rowling's comments, the ending is going to be that they all become hooked on Dance Dance Revolution and decide to stop their silly magical wars, concluding with a dance-off between Harry and Voldemort which leaves them both too tired to fight.

Oh, spoiler warning:

Hermione runs off with Hagrid, and Ron and Neville explore "other options."

Hmmm, so she's gonna end it in the traditional way then. Dance Dance Revolution will truly be the tool that brings peace to the galaxy ;)

mikebatho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Greater Manchester UK
Thank god you only meant Harry. Thoughth you meant BRIAN for a minute there!!

Harry Potter will meet his end by going the way of any healthy British teenager. He'll take to wearing a lot of Rockport & Firetrap clothing, drinking white cider, and hanging around shopping precincts scrounging cigs from passers by.....

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Anyone think snape is good?? When he killed Dumbledore i got the feeling that Dumbledore was 'ordering' him to kill him. Dumbledore would not beg to be killed. I still think snape is good. Not to mention snape could have killed harry on his way out of the castle. Didnt snape tackle harry and tell him to learn to do his non spoken curses...i think that was more of a hint then anything.

I would love to see dumbleodre come back. and maybe snape could have found a way to do that. He did say he could teach people how to 'put a stopper in death.' But i dought he would have used a horcux seeing as he would have had to kill someone for that to work...and dumbledore does not seem lke the kind of person to do that.

As far as Voldemort goes i think he will end up dead and harry fine...but...harry will not be the one to kill him. I think i could be nevill. He was the other one born at the same time.

Comment on the movie (dont look if you dont want to):

I really was kinda dissapointed. not really what i thought it would be. To choppy and kixed up. I guess if you had not read the book then you probably would have liked it...but having read the book then watched the movie it was not nearly as good as i thought it would be. The aprt about nevil telling him about the gilee weed was wrong and not as good as doby telling harry. How did nevill get the gilee weed (he seems to stupid to steal it from snape). Doby was kinda big in the book but you really did not hear about see much of him in the movie. Dumbledore seed really... P.O.ed in the movie, and i did not get that from the book. The ending was really dumb. All in all, i just didnt feel any of the character development that was in the book happened in the movie. Good moive but i was hoping for somehting along the lines of the Lord of the rings series.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
prostuff1 said:
Anyone think snape is good?? When he killed Dumbledore i got the feeling that Dumbledore was 'ordering' him to kill him. Dumbledore would not beg to be killed. I still think snape is good. Not to mention snape could have killed harry on his way out of the castle. Didnt snape tackle harry and tell him to learn to do his non spoken curses...i think that was more of a hint then anything.

I would love to see dumbleodre come back. and maybe snape could have found a way to do that. He did say he could teach people how to 'put a stopper in death.' But i dought he would have used a horcux seeing as he would have had to kill someone for that to work...and dumbledore does not seem lke the kind of person to do that.

As far as Voldemort goes i think he will end up dead and harry fine...but...harry will not be the one to kill him. I think i could be nevill. He was the other one born at the same time.

Not a chance. Snape is in it for no one but himself. He won't care who wins, so long as he's on the winning side. Dumbledore is as dead as the proverbial doornail, otherwise Snape would have keeled over dead himself from defying the Unbreakable Vow. However, in light of the other Star Wars related commentary here, I'm guessing Dumbledore pulled a Ben Kenobi, being struck down to become more powerful (he is going to get a portrait now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.