The End of SAAB

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joepunk, Dec 18, 2009.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/18/gm-shuts-saab

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Koeniggsegg backed out of the deal, so GM then tried to make a deal with Spyker. It seems that one fell through, as well. There was some talk of selling Saab to the same Chinese firm that bought Hummer, but nothing came of that.

A similar thing happened with Saturn. Penske was going to buy them, but couldn't secure a manufacturing source for the future, and the deal fell through.

4. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Damn it GM!!! :mad:

I don't believe they didn't pursue Penske after he opted out of the Saturn deal, but now GM is just letting this sale go too? These were 2 of the best brands out there. Saabs are consistently hitting the 200,000 mile mark with the best of the Audis and Volvos, and Saturn up until 2002 made great and reliable cars that developed as much of a cult as Subaru drivers.

It's a shame. These were both great brands. Only GM could take on so many good names and then not know what to do with them when things got tough. There's a reason Ford doesn't do that... :( Ugh.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hey hey, Subaru drivers are not a cult!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go pray to Pleiades.

6. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

It's been a great 60-70 years...

7. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

My dad looked really unhappy when he heard this news. He loves his Saab and wants another when this one this one gets passed it. I'd love one myself, some of the nicest cars i've ever driven. BIG shame.

8. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

its a wonder how the traditionally not esthetically pleasing vehicles like saab and volvo but placed a premium on safety are not more profitable.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Honestly, Ford kind of did... I mean, I think they infused a lot of great technology into Jag (I personally think the Ford era cars are among their prettiest, too) and Volvo, and perhaps into Aston (less sure about Rover), but from a business standpoint... I think Volvo will land on its feet, but I would watch really keenly to see what, if anything, Tata can do with Jag.

Anyway, I don't think GM ever had a plan for Saab. Penske is a pretty good businessman, but I'm not sure he could've gotten Saab into a good place.

Sometimes things just come to an end, and it's no use blaming anyone. If the people at Saab had more business acumen to begin with, they would not have gotten them into the series of situations that ultimately led to their partnership with GM and to this.

10. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

11. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Sad indeed, my dad has owned two and they were great cars. I think those who are glad to see them go think of Saab in the context of the last six or seven years.

12. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Have an 06 9-3 Aero, great fun to drive, will miss Saab.

While very disappointed that it is being wound down, I am not too shocked too hear it. While the economies of the world were good it was easier to deal with a brand that just wasn't making any money, if the GFC was just a generic recession it wouldn't have been so bad, but the GFC have forced a lot brands (in general and not just auto) to be closed down.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If Tata had anything to do with the recently unveiled models, I think Jaguar is in good hands.

14. carlgo macrumors 68000

At one time Saab offered a unique product, a front-drive car of modest proportions that was touted as being especially safe. Now there are countless other cars that have the same basic layout and attributes.

Saab offered a bit of off-beat, non-conventional style and cachet, but there weren't enough compelling reasons for that many people to buy one, and the dealers were far and few between.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

For those who still want a Saab, just go to China and buy a Pre-2008 Saab 9-3 and well current generation 9-5( since the new 9-5 is DOA) since BIC bought the tooling for those vehicles.

16. jonnytruant macrumors member

jonnytruant

we should make a post your saab remembrance picture thread...:(

Here is my 1994 commemorative edition classic 900 turbo. Handmade, one of the 500 made, before good ol' GM ruined everything. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thaat's reaally too baad. My mom's Saab waas slick aas hell, until it was stolen and totaalled.

18. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Ford did wonders in improving Jag's reliability and image. The problem was they didn't devote the needed resources to developing new vehicles. Also, they tried platform sharing with the X Type and it failed badly. Nobody wanted a more expensive Mondeo. If Tata can keep up the reliability, they will do fine. The new XJ and XF are beautiful machines. It took a lot of guts to go away from the retro designs, but they did a great job.

Penske was never in the running for Saab. He was trying to buy Saturn only, but could not find a partner to produce vehicles for him. Penske tried to make a deal with Nissan to sell rebadged Altimas, but Nissan backed out. Anyway, you are right about Saab. GM never really had a plan for them. GM and Saab before the buyout were in a tough situation. Saab had small, but very loyal following (much like Subaru). They problem was that it was small, and it was tough to increase the fanbase and profitability. How do you make your cars more appealing to the mainstream without driving off that loyal fan base? In the end, Saab was basically selling rebadged Opels and other GM vehicles. (9-7, anyone? A rebadged Trailblazer) There was nothing to make Saab stand out. They had lost their quirky nature, yet couldn't really compete in the luxury/sport sedan market against the likes of BMW, Audi, etc.

Many of the smaller car companies are in the same boat. Someone joked about Subaru, but they have the same problem. For years, they were a quirky brand with a small and loyal following. For the past few years, they have been trying to go more mainstream, with some success. Check out the new Outback and Legacy. They blend into the car landscape very well. One of my favorite brands, Mazda has the same problem. In the early-mid 90s, they decided to go away from their rep as a sporty car brand to compete with Honda and Toyota, with terrible results. They regained their focus with the 6, 3, and others, but now seem to be losing their way again. The new 6 went from a very good sport sedan to an attempted Accord/Camry clone, gaining a lot of size and weight in the process. As a side note, whoever designed that new Mazda grill should be fired. Yuck.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like you and I like most of the same things in cars. :p I wouldn't replace my current 6 with the new one either. Way too big for my taste. Although I'd like to see Mazda and Subaru both get some high fuel efficiency cars on the road.

Hmmm, yes, a plan for Saab... maybe we should give the company to the Cylons? I hear they have a plan. :D

20. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That has been my gripe with my Mazdas. The Honda Accord V6 was getting 30MPG or so on the highway, while my 6 got mid-20s or so. Even my first Protege got worse mileage than a Civic or Corolla. It was a lot more fun to drive, though. :)

I wanted a 6 the first time I read about it. It took me a long time to find one with the V6 and 5 speed manual. A couple of dealers I talked to didn't even know it was an option. Ironically, I found it used after I had given up and decided to get one with an auto. It had been rolled onto the lot the day before. Too bad some idiot decided to do some free bodywork on it for me. I really miss that car. I downgraded to a 2003 Protege5 due to lowered income at the time, but I still want another 6. I loved that car.

Sorry for the threadjack. :D

22. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I assume you mean Land-Rover. Rover was split from LR after the BMW sale of 2000 and is now a dead firm unlike LR.

23. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

noes!
    I mean Saturn, sucked when died but they sucked anyway, but Saab, they were freakin' awesome! Why didn't Koeniggsegg buy them? Could've prospered.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry... when I worked at Ford, we just referred to it as Rover for short, and most people knew what we were talking about.... But that's probably also since the non Land Rover products are little known in the US. It seems even less inappropriate, of course, now, to do so....

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Do please explain how Saturn sucked? The first Saturn's were successful until the other GM divisions got jealous then in the middle they did languish and the L-Series and Ion sucked and the S-series withered away. The Vue was successful though. But, their latest lineup were actually good cars( I may be biased I like my Aura :) ).

At least Saturn kept its identity until the latest lineup. Saab lost its identity a long time ago with the Saabaru and the 9-7x.