the end of the 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supermac96, Mar 2, 2011.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

well it is finally the end of the 2g ipod touch. I saw today that ios 4.3 will not be available for it. ITs really a shame concidering iv only had my ipod a little over a year and its already outdated!

2. MattEcho macrumors newbie

Are you sure it's a 2G? If you bought it last year, shouldn't it be a 3G?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, Apple still sold the 2G as the 8GB model back then. I have one of those too. Sucks that Apple is going to discontinue software support before my standard (not even extended) warranty expires.

I might be able to get it off my hands for $120. We'll see.

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah it's sad to see. Coming this summer I'll of had my iPod Touch 2nd generation for 2 years. I don't really mind though. I've been using firmware 3.1.3 up until 2 weeks ago. It was previously jailbroken and I jailbroke it again on 4.2.1. Honestly, jailbreaking is better than any iOS software update. Way more features and you get things that Apple would never even think of allowing.

5. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

I have a 2G that is just now a year old. I just purchased a 4G and it is a vast improvement. I don't favor jail braking but I just might do so with the 2G just to try it out.

6. Drucifer macrumors regular

I think that was a huge mistake on Apples part. They should have released an updated 8GB along with the other 3rd gen products isntead they only updated the 32GB and 64GB models and everyone who bought a 8GB model assumed it was a 3rd Gen. Far too confusing for customers so they should have just updated them all.

I see far too many iTunes reviews with a 1 star because someone with a 8GB model from last gen thought it was a 3rd Gen device and the game won't run for them.

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah I see this all the time too. They also promoted the 8GB model as a 'Third generation' iPod Touch. So people who purchased one of the 'third generations' 8GB model are actually pissed to find out it's really only a 2nd generation iPod Touch. They did indeed make a mistake here.

8. nukem170 macrumors member

A friend of mine bought a 8GB model right after the 3rd gen came out thinking it was a 3rd gen 8GB model. I think the store was advertising the 3rd gen ipods and had the 2nd gen models right next to it. There absolutely no way to tell the difference just by looking at it (for the average person that doesn't know the model numbers and codes). Few weeks ago I put a 3rd gen and her 2nd gen ipods side by side and showed her how you can multi task and change lock screen wallpapers in 3rd gen but not on her 2nd gen. She also had downloaded games that she can't play (keep crashing).

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

How DO you tell the difference between the 2G and 3G iPod Touch?

10. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I heard the "8GB" or whatever model you have is smaller on the third generation that it is on the 2nd generation.

11. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

pretty sure that older 32 and 64 gig models that came out around the time if the 2 gen are 3rd gen and the 8 gigs are 2g.

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

This was summarized fairly well in another thread in this forum.

Basically, any iPod touch without a volume control is 1st gen.

Any 8GB iPod touch with a volume control is either an original 2nd gen, or else a cost-reduced 2nd gen that was released at the same time as the "real" 3rd gen.

Any 16GB iPod touch with a volume control is a 2nd gen.

A 32GB iPod touch with a volume control but no camera may be either a 2nd gen or a "real" 3rd gen, depending on model number. The difference between the two is an upgraded CPU and RAM in the 3rd gen version -- but externally they look identical.

A 64 GB iPod touch without a camera is 3rd gen.

An iPod touch with a camera is 4th gen.

During the media event that introduced the 3rd generation iPod touch, Steve Jobs made a point of highlighting the fact that the 8GB model was basically the same device as the existing 2nd gen 8GB model, but using more efficient manufacturing techniques to reduce factory costs.

Whereas the 32GB and 64GB models were called out specifically for including the new upgraded CPU and RAM.

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

The features arn't that great so no need to worry about missing anything.

14. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

So let me get this straight, when 4.3 comes out, your 2g Touch will cease to function? Unless you are brand spanking new to Apple you know the deal:
    new models each year with updates through out the year. The old models get left behind. The circle of life, hakuna matata and all that.

15. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I think (can't speak for the OP because I skipped the 2nd generation and bought a "real" 3rd generation device) that the concern may stem from the concern that any bugs that currently exist in the 2nd generation firmware are now doomed to remain forever without any hope for a fix.

We've already seen it once: The original iPod touch's firmware was orphaned, leaving the PDF vulnerability exploited by "jailbreakme.com" wide open and unpatched.

What further vulnerabilities might be discovered and left unpatched for the final version of firmware released for the 2nd generation iPod touch? This is particularly troublesome for the 2nd generation iPod touch owners who might still be covered by an extended AppleCare warranty plan -- but whose software will not be supported for the full duration of that warranty coverage.

16. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

17. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Shouldn't be necessary to buy a new model in order to receive full benefit of the warranty coverage you thought you had already paid for when you bought the existing model's extended coverage.

Better fix:
    Jailbreak.

Typically, after you jailbreak, there are patches available that can mitigate any vulnerabilities that were exploited to create a jailbreak in the first place, thus protecting jailbroken devices from subsequently being hit with any malicious exploit that attempted to use the same attack vector. Ironically, occasionally, you can get better product from the jailbreaking community than you could hope to get from Apple.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Bingo, except for the 32GB 2G/3G entry. One way to see if it's a 2gen or 3gen 32GB touch is to check the little '32GB' engraving on the back. The engraving is noticeably smaller on the 3gen and larger on the 2gen.

2nd gen 32gb touch [w/vol controls]

[​IMG]

3rd gen 32gb touch [w/ vol controls]

[​IMG]

(back on the left)

cheers