The extra row of icons...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frankied22, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

What if Apple uses that space for a widget-style banner that displays certain information. For instance it could show a bigger clock with live weather, date, etc. There could be a plethora of different ones you could put in that space. Maybe app developers could update ther apps to support this widget styled banner.

I'm not saying its a particularly good idea, or that I even like it, but anythings possible at this point. For all we know Apple has been trying to find a way to get in on the world of widgets or live tiles, and this is their first step into it. They do like to implement things slowly. It also wouldn't be the first time they took something from android and restyled it in ther own way. (pull down notification tray)

2. britneyfan macrumors 6502

That would be cool, although I don't think it's going to happen.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I think the extra row of icons is going to be an extra row of icons. For the foreseeable future I think live tiles is going to be limited to the notification bar. It would be nice if they would open that up though.

4. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Ehh doesn't matter....more room for more tweaks/widgets :)

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I hope like hell they do something 'innovative' and not just another row of icons. I'm hoping for a live screen wide tile of user chosen information (kind of like Windows 8 live tiles). Photos, twitters, facebook, weather, etc.

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

7. rman726 macrumors 6502

Why not? They've added extra software features for only the new phone that isn't part of the beta in the past (i.e. Siri). I could see them doing that again.
    "And now part of iOS 6, Widgets!"
    <talk about widgets for a while>
    "Due to the screen size constraints, this is only going to be available on the new iPhone."

Do I think it will happen? Probably not. But I don't discount it as a possibility. I do think they will add something that is new iPhone exclusive.

Do I really care about widgets? No, as I am fine with the widgets in the notification center. However, I really wish they would add some APIs so that developers could create widgets for it. I think that is more of a "not this year" type of thing because I can't think of a reason for them to have held that out of the beta.

8. anDDi macrumors newbie

That would indeed be cool. I hope this happens.

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Live icons on the homescreen and third party widgets in the notification center would be a step in the right direction.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't we know this already, if it were true, b/c of iOS 6's dev previews?

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The extra row of icons is a rather dull "upgrade" and most certainly disappointing. It's profit taking at it's greediest. There's no other way to justify why Apple spent well over one year, only to released a milk toast "upgrade".

If I was unaware of Apples true expertise, ability to innovate, and resources to create a true milestone model, then I'd say the upcoming phone is quite impressive, but it's not.

It's neither bad, or as Apple loves to say "a game changer". There is but one truly amazing aspect of the new iPhone... The mind boggling sales numbers it will generate.

Apples greatest challenge comes from within. They're caving in to their own greed, resting on their laurels knowing demand will be record breaking, and that the customers will accept most anything Apple.

What a phenomenon.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Extra screen real estate on the new iPhone

So I'm not thrilled with the longer display just for the sake of going bigger. I could be happy though if Apple makes good use of it for something other than an extra row of icons. My wish would be for widgets/live tiles. Something do that nature. It would be cool if this was one of those hidden features released at launch.

What do you guys think? Will Apple have any special function reserved for the extra screen space or will it be just another stupid row of icons?

13. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Why dont you wait for the new iPhone to be unveiled at the keynote before making such broad statements? All we have seen so far are fuzzy spy shots and nothing more.

14. Purant macrumors 6502

That sounds.... pretty cool!

Not the widgets per-se but, a feature that only makes sense on a wider screen would be cool, and it will give apple a (somewhat) valid reason to withhold features from older phones.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure how they are going to market the wider screen.

"New iPhone now widescreen! Like the rest of the competition!"

"New iPhone now widescreen! Now you can view youtube clips without black borders!"

15. x5tuu macrumors member

i do like the live tiles in WM7.5Mango, and would be a nice addition to the new iPhone, I just cant see it happening though, it seems too late in the game to introduce such a base feature to the OS.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Perhaps you haven't been following the rumors closely, we've seen far more than "fuzzy spy shots". Never in the history of Apple (I've followed Apple since it was founded) has there ever been this many "leaks".

Therefore while I agree anything is possible, what's highly likely is that the upcoming model will look like what we've seen.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Unless you don't count the iPhone 4. Boy that "one" leak changed it all.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

I actually am just hoping for another row of icons and another row in folders. I've got tons of folders and even having just one more row would cut the number of folders I have in half. And anyways, a widget at the bottom of the screen in the last row would look out of place and ugly, to be honest. Apple wouldn't put it there.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If there's any doubt what this new phone is going to look like then you're deluding yourself. There's leak after leak after leak with very clear shots of the whole, entire shell both inside and out. So many from so many different sources that you'd have to be a fool to deny their validity. I tire of you forum nannies saying we're not allowed to discuss this phone because Steve... uh.. Tim hasn't blessed it yet. We might as well shut down this site. After all, rumors and speculation have no place on a rumor site. :rolleyes:

The only thing we don't know is what apple is going to do with that extra vertical screen space.

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

would be (maybe) nice; but I 'm sure Apple would not allow access from 3rd party apps. I'm sure they would control that space.
    That said: I believe we will just see a new icon row. which is perfectly fine for me.

Would be great if also "dockable" like the lower row (will also not happen).

21. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Bingo. This will be prime real estate for jail breakers. :)

22. JesalTV Guest

I would love for this to be true, but alas not yet.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm thinking the top row.

24. troop231 macrumors 603

What if Apple dedicates this extra screen spot (space) for iAds? LOL, people would go mad! :eek:

25. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I would sell the phone and pick up 4s or android and pocket the rest of the $