the fact that snow leopard doesn't come with ilife 09

Discussion in 'macOS' started by morethanblood, Aug 31, 2009.

1. morethanblood macrumors member

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

1. apple would never make money from ilife if it was bundled with the OS.

2. apple has never bundled ilife with OS. why complain now?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

iLife has NEVER been included as part of an OS, it's not something that's just started with Snow Leopard. I think you're confusing it with the fact the new Macs come with the latest version of iLife for free. It's never been included with the OS itself.

4. Steve J. macrumors member

Uh, Snow Leopard an update to Mac OS X. iLife, while included with new Macs, is not directly part of the Operating System. If you want iLife, get the Mac Box Set, or just buy it separately. Its not like Apple is ripping you off.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Mac OS X and iLife (and iWork, for that matter) have always been sold separately.

Remember that iLife is a set of applications that many developers put a lot of work into, and it's worth at LEAST $79. Giving that to you, plus Leopard/Snow Leopard for $29 would be a steal, and simply not giving credit where credit is due to those at Apple working so hard.

Besides -- Apple gives you iLife for free with every Mac. The very least you can do is update it every once in a while.

6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Pardon my ignorance here. I am asking a basic question, but heregoes:

I've purchased three macs in the last year (two new and one refurb). I haven't gotten iLife with any of them. Is there something I have to do (box tops sent to General Mills?) to get it? Thanks.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

iLife consists of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD. You're saying that none of the Macs you bought had these apps preinstalled? Did you get your Macs from Apple?

iLife should be preinstalled and free with your computer -- it's part of what makes Macs so appealing to people switching from PCs.

8. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

I think your confused here. iLife is preinstalled on every new mac. you dont need to do anything to get it. But when your looking for iLife, I'm thinking your looking for an application called 'iLife', but theres no such thing. iLife is the combination of Garageband, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and iPhoto. Unless youve 'Erase and Installed', those applications should still be there

9. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I'm sorry. I misconstrued. I made the mistake of confusing iLife with iWorks.

That's what I get for being up past my bedtime. Thank you all the same for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yeah, maybe someday iWork will be bundled with a Mac. But seeing as PCs don't even come with Microsoft Office, I don't know if that'll ever happen.

11. Txrecq macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard and iLife '09

Hey, Isn't there any way that I can upgrade to Snow Leopard Without removing iLife '09... Because i had my macbook like about 2 weeks ago and i don't wanna buy iLife AGAIN ...
    Thanks For Help :)

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's on the second grey disc that came with your computer, just pop it in after Snow Leopard has installed :)

13. Txrecq macrumors newbie

Thank Yew :D
    But Are You Sure that it's Snow Leopard Compatible ? it appears it's not iLife

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know why these threads pop up whenever apple releases a new version of OSX

To be perfectly blunt.
    • New macs come with some software preinstalled, i.e., iLife
    • upgrades to the OS never ever had iLife included.
    • iLife is a separate application that needs to be purchased - whenever apple gets around to upgrading it, i.e., 2010.
    • Apple is in the business to sell software so there's no justification to give it away (short of enticing people to buy new computers).

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The fact that some people don't even bother browsing apple's site for a simple question is pretty lame. =p

If you want it you can buy:

Snow Leopard Box Set
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC209Z/A
    includes Snow Leopard, iLife 09, iWork 09

16. zerostar macrumors regular

$30...... $30 and you get a FULL install DVD with the latest OS release from Apple.... and people STILL complain!!! Sheesh.

17. Txrecq macrumors newbie

30 $ is only the OS price then People are complaining about the OTHER 80$ to pay for iLife :-/

18. tmp0404 macrumors member

So I did a clean install of Snow Leopard, and my IDVD, Garage Band, etc. applications are no longer installed. I have the 2 gray CD's that came with my new Mac Mini, when I insert disk 2 and click on one of the read me files, it indicates that I should insert disk 1 to install Mac OS and the applications that came with it, however, when I insert disk 1 into the mini, the disk spins, but that's about it.

Bottom line, how can I reinstall of the aforementioned applications that came with my mini. Thanks for any help.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My forehead is raw right now from me smacking it for the past couple minutes.

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Hmm. And I thought the dent in my baseball bat was bad.

21. Txrecq macrumors newbie

So it appears that using leopard's CDs doesn't Work Any other idea ? ( that works )

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Just insert disk 2 and install. That's it. I did yesterday.

23. Txrecq macrumors newbie

reza.. Can you add me on msn for some questions about this topic? cz i'm kinda lost >>> tarecq.chebaro@live.com

24. tmp0404 macrumors member

When I bought my Mac mini, it had Tiger installed on it. I've found the disks that came with it. Actually you need to use disk 1, and it give you an option to install bundled software only. When I click on that icon, bundled software can't be installed on this computer.

So does this mean that the mini came with Tiger, I paid for Leopard, did a clean install, and lost all of my Mac provided applications. I paid again for a Snow Leopard upgrade, did a clean install, and in reading the forums, realized some of the Mac provided applications that I used sparingly in the past are now gone forever, that is unless I buy the most recent Ilife package.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

25. Txrecq macrumors newbie