The Fart doors have opened.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by detz, Dec 17, 2008.

1. detz macrumors 65816

So there have been tons and tons of fart apps flooding the app store now, I'm not sure why but Apple made the decision to allow these apps so they've approved all of them(back until launch) and they are all on the store. Pull my finger, woopie cushion, fart sound...you name it and it's on there. As a developer and a consumer with iPhones it upsets me that the store is sinking to this level.

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I guess the mighty dollar has won again!

Why have standards when there is money to be made?

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Considering Apple is supposedly a premium brand, its surprising that they let any old crap like this onto the app store. Poor show..

4. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Either Apple needs to change the App Store so it's easier to block apps like this on our end or stop allowing crap like this on the store. Sure one or two is acceptable but now there is probably close to 30 of these "useless apps".

Yeah, they are only hurting their reputation. When people blog about the App store and write articles about it it's not how great it is anymore it's how there is so much junk on there.

5. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

Yeah, I noticed that as well. If I valued my time less than I do, I'd answer the first question that came to mind when I first noticed the trend: Are there now more fart apps than flashlight apps?

Now it's only a matter of time until the inevitable: the release of a farting flashlight app.

6. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Oh please. Why people get upset with a little fun is beyond me. If you don't care for such apps, then don't buy them.

Why let it upset you? :rolleyes:

7. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Because it's almost impossible to find something good when you're flooded with garbage. It wouldn't be an issue if the store was built correctly or it was a true free market(developers could sell their apps else where) but since both of those don't exist having these crap apps on the store hurts Apple, the developers and the consumers. It's really a no win for anyone.

I'm not against fun silly apps(see sig) but when you're flooded with 20 apps that all they do is make farting sounds it gets a little ridiculous.

8. ying yang macrumors regular

So then, you have more of a problem with the store's layout than with what total strangers choose to put on their phones.

9. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

You can download what ever you want, that's your choice. My issue is that Apple has forced us to only download and purchase apps from them, combine that with an ancient system built for distributing music and then pile on a bunch of completely useless apps and it's just getting out of hand.

If people want to waste their time creating fart applications and people want to waste their money purchasing them than that's fine with me but Apple should either provide me a better way of finding useful applications or filtering out the useless ones.

So I guess my rant is more that Apple opens up the flood gates for these apps but does not release a better App store along with it.

10. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Its like searching for stuff on the internet. Sometimes you get bad results because of all the "garbage" out there. Deal with it.

Personally I dont get upset , I just move on, well after I fire off a few ifarts...:p

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have a problem with finding apps worth having when 99.99% are utter crap
    i have a problem how you cant test an app for a period of time before you buy the garbage

so yes, its apple's fault for the layout of the store and apples fault for letting so many apps that are crap in

12. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Ok, so its not about the fart door, but your impression of the Apple store. We'll I guess there's always the G-phone for you. ;)

13. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

There is no comparison. You have many choices on the Internet(Google,Yahoo, Ask, MSN) to sort things out, search engines do their best to sort out the crap for you. ;) If they didn't the Internet would be a horrible place.

14. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

BUT, no one has forced YOU to buy and use an iPhone. No one forces you to use the app store. You choose to do. They choose to set up their product the way they see fit. You have options if you dislike it, and feel forced. Try a Blackberry, or the Android phone. Both have apps that can be added, without being forced to use iTunes.

15. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

I have no problem with the iPhone, why would I switch to another phone? :confused:

16. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I realize this, I'm shocked that a company like Apple doesn't have better sense than this though. They will change it because people will complain so loud that they will be forced to but the damage will be done by then. I'm upset with Apple for this move, they are a great company but the whole App Store and the way they've gone about it is very disheartening.

17. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I guess I was referring to the search mode in iTunes. Search for what you want there or Google it, then download it in iTunes. There are many places you can find out app info without sorting through iTunes.

18. ying yang macrumors regular

If you are complaining moreso as a developer than a consumer then I realise iTunes is the only place for devs to sell their apps but it's not the only place to publicize them. Apple never said they'd promote any apps. Things like the featured apps list and the charts should really be taken as just bonuses. The main responsibility for publicizing an app lies squarely with the developer.

A lot of indie developers seem content with letting Apple do all the work for them and then complaining when they don't.

If people are spending their money on fart noises rather than your apps then it's either because they saw your app at some point and didn't want it or they never heard of it. Either way, that's not Apple's fault.

19. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I've never had an issue finding anything I was looking for. I honestly don't see what the issue is as a consumer.

And if this is a developer who is unhappy, then do more to self promote. buy ads on the different Mac sites, like MacRumors.

Everyone has a different opinion on how things should be run, and seriously, not trying to be a smart ass, but if things bother you about how they choose to run their business, you have the freedom to buy and support another product that fits into your wish list.

20. det2004 macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter what Apple does, they can't win. If they block out some of these apps, then everybody will complain that they aren't open, and you can't get as many apps for the iphone as you can for a wm phone. If they allow all of this stuff in, everybody's crying that the app store is flooded, and that they aren't happy with that either.

You can't make everybody happy, and everyone's always going to find something to whine about.

I'm sure that they will do something to better organize the app store at some point....they will almost have to with the amount of new apps being created every day. Keep in mind, that this is their first attempt at an iPhone app store, and that it can always be improved upon, and they have already tinkered with it several times.

21. ying yang macrumors regular

Or a Superbowl ad.

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If I was Apple, I would probably junk about 90% of the apps on the store. I don't care who whines or what negative press comes my way, some of the crap on there makes me feel sad to be a developer.

24. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

25. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Okay maybe that was a bit drastic. Maybe 50%.

I would also try to find a way within the law to stop these constant price drops. Its turning away some great developers from the iPhone who cannot make a viable profit, and it makes people who paid $10 for an app feel pissed that it now costs $1.