Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I think it's good that Apple finally let 'em fly. I suspect holding them in became painful, as it fueled the fire of criticism over their release selection process and the silent but deadly managers of said process. I think a Bronx Cheer is in order!

ex8886

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
So if you guys have been tracking the latest apps released in the past couple days, there have probably been 40+ fart/burp/whoopi apps released. I mean I'm all against regulation, but is that really necessary? And while we're at it, is it really necessary to have so many 'call #1,' call dad,' 'call store,' 'call dentist,' 'call crazy stalker i met on myspace' type of apps? Kind of like the 'dayz to divorce,' and 'dayz to just about anything we were able to think of' apps that just clutter the app store. I mean if you're gonna put that crap in, at least give us a choice to filter that crap out when we're looking for something that's actually useful. How is Apple gonna market the iPhone to business users? "We might not have word editing programs like the blackberry, but we do have the most farting apps." I'm done with my rant.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
We're seeing all the fart apps that had been wasting away in the approval process since the beginning of the app store. Their numbers will likely dissipate over the next few days and the air will be cleared (pun intended).

I wonder what else they have sitting in their approval process? They're probably holding back on stuff that would likely blow us away (pun definitely not intended).

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So if you guys have been tracking the latest apps released in the past couple days, there have probably been 40+ fart/burp/whoopi apps released. I mean I'm all against regulation, but is that really necessary? And while we're at it, is it really necessary to have so many 'call #1,' call dad,' 'call store,' 'call dentist,' 'call crazy stalker i met on myspace' type of apps? Kind of like the 'dayz to divorce,' and 'dayz to just about anything we were able to think of' apps that just clutter the app store. I mean if you're gonna put that crap in, at least give us a choice to filter that crap out when we're looking for something that's actually useful. How is Apple gonna market the iPhone to business users? "We might not have word editing programs like the blackberry, but we do have the most farting apps." I'm done with my rant.

I agree with all of this. I'm really sick of the "press one button to do blank" apps. And I can't even go on appshopper anymore. It reaks!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yes, the store is pretty loaded with useless apps. There needs to be some usefulness rating as well as just an overall rating. iPint is pretty neat, but I would give it a 0.1 on the usefulness scale. Same goes for the farting and smoking apps. I made more useful stuff on my TI-85 calculator in high school.

gadgetdad

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
On my iPhone
I think it's good that Apple finally let 'em fly. I suspect holding them in became painful, as it fueled the fire of criticism over their release selection process and the silent but deadly managers of said process. I think a Bronx Cheer is in order!

:p Nothing worse than holding them in

This was a great post on so many levels.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
So because Apple's app store is lousy to navigate, you think it's right to deny people their fart apps? You need bigger things to worry about.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Oh please. Why people get upset with a little fun is beyond me. If you don't care for such apps, then don't buy them.

Why let it upset you? :rolleyes:

:D Well, I think their point is when people think of Apple, a juvenile fart sound effect isn't what usually comes to mind. Oh well...the stupid ones will fail and the useful, practical ones will prevail. At least I hope so. :rolleyes:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
To me... the only way to actually find anything decent on the App store is to look at the top 25 apps... then drill backwards. Every day, there's about 100 apps added. Most of them are stupid sudoku puzzles or 1 button dialers. It's getting sickening. I still look because I don't wanna miss the REALLY GOOD apps.

I wish there was a site (kinda like toucharcade) that shows and reviews the HIGHEST QUALITY apps on the AppStore that are HAND PICKED based on Quality, Design, Functionality and Ease of Use. I think more Apps should look and feel like Apple's apps, but they don't.

jfox00

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
ironic?

Lets face it, Apple can't please all the people all the time. It's actually funny. Lets take a look at the progression.

On day 1, Apple gave us the app store.

On day 2, Apple restricts certain applications.
[everyone is up in arms about apple "controlling" the app store, and "who is apple to deny my application"]

On day 3, Apple loosens restriction on applications.
[everyone is crying about the quality of applications in the app store now]

Hey EVERYONE - you're so smart. How can apple both restrict the applications, but not "control" the app store. You can't.

But you can change the layout, reorganize, have "quality" ratings, allow filters, etc.. The improvement need to come from organization and enhancements. Maybe I really like fart applications. Maybe I really like something you don't. But it should be "allowed" in the store. You don't want it, or want to see application like it, then we need search/layout improvements. Simple.

End Rant.

rjgrune

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
free fart app

well i programmed a whoopie cushion app back when i first was learning how to program. i thought it was a great idea and i had no programming experience so it began my trip into learning how to make apps. it got rejected and now it is allowed.

that being said, i have released despite the flood of farting apps. but the good news is - since these "noise-making apps" are quite simple to make - it is FREE!

so you may hate the flood of apps, but this may also help the quality of paid apps in the store as here is a free farting app. download and enjoy - WhoopieCushion.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
As another poster said earlier in this thread, too many drops the quality so you dont know which one to go for. Most are simulated flatulence - which defeats the object a bit ... and consist of naff sound samples linked to a 'button' and then charge 59p (99c) for the 'privelege'. One of the worst offenders is BurpBox in my opinion - poor quality samples and only a few of them at that. Ironically - I couldve sampled the stuff off my own eBay product which has been produced over the past ten years .. trouble is ... I cant program an iPhone App so I'll have to bow to new technology! But as a 'connossieur' of such things and purveyor of genuine quality 'output' I can safely say that at LEAST half the fart and burp apps are just fart-sounding noises and only a proportion are the real thing. But if Apple simply allow everything to go through on the App Store without quality-testing then to be honest - its going to be a shame for all concerned. I sugges ti fyou feel 'curious' about install ing a fart app then go for the free Whoopie Cushion and take it from there .. its pretty much similar to the paid stuff ... thanks ...OR (Free plug imminent) you could always go for a UK old-school product which provides the 'real McCoy' on the antiquated CD medium! (remember those?) ("Thats enough free product placement!"-Forum Ed.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0#ht_500wt_924

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
Don't worry I am taking care of the fart apps! See my sig :D

But seriously though you think that just because people are buying fart apps they are not buying anything else? They will buy fart apps for fun and utility apps as needed. Apple knows this and they don't mind making a buck of a person who wouldn't buy anything else. In addition to that, fart apps also raise the value of other apps. Now if a fart app costs $.99 what should a serious app cost? Thank you very much now go raise your price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.