The Forgotten Feature: Music

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swarmster, Apr 9, 2015.

1. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I've been very disappointed (and a little confused) by the lack of any coverage of the Apple Watch as a music playback device. Something small and light, with on-board storage, wireless headphones, water resistance, and a built-in strap makes it seem like a clear successor to the older iPods.

Yet I've only seen a couple reviews even mention it. And even then only Cnet (of all places) wrote more than a sentence or two.

Even Apple! They've mentioned it offhandedly in their keynote and had one sentence on their website for months, but they seem content to open preorders without even uploading the promised "Music" focused walkthrough. The most information we've received about how it works was from some leaked screenshots of the settings app. Basics like whether you can start a song and then switch over to, say, a stopwatch or the fitness app are complete unknowns.

I understand the Watch has a wide assortment of features, but it's odd how little attention this one is getting.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Music playback is a commodity. Nobody is buying the Watch solely because of music playback.

3. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Music playback is actually a pretty big feature for me, not a commdity. Easily a top 3 feature on my list. I hate using an armband to hold my 6 Plus at the gym, so I usually set it down in a corner. (I use bluetooth headphones). Being able to leave my phone in my locker and just use the watch for music is going to be really convenient.

4. swarmster thread starter macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Small, wearable, water resistant MP3 players is as far as I can tell an extremely underserved market. Apple stepping in with a product priced similarly to the original iPod is interesting.

I think there are a lot of people that don't have any interest in wearing a watch everywhere they go, and the iPod-replacement angle might be the best way to get their attention. (It worked for me, despite their best efforts to hide it.)

5. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

So if I'm using Bluetooth headphones, can I connect directly to the watch or just the phone? In which case, is the watch not just a remote control for the phone?

6. Shabbis macrumors regular

This is also a big deal for me. I'd like to leave my 6 plus in the locker at the gym and have the music I want on my wrist with wireless headphones. The ability to sync and manage music from the iPhone is key. I have an older iPod nano, but I don't like syncing it with iTunes as I rarely use my laptop at home.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

So be happy. It does what you want. Just saying that nobody is going to spend $500 on an MP3 player, so there is no point in Apple trying to position the Watch as an MP3 player.

8. swarmster thread starter macrumors 6502a

swarmster

There does not need to be any phone involved whatsoever if you have music stored on the Watch.

----------

My point is, since I don't have one, how can I evaluate its use as an MP3 player? The feature has been almost entirely ignored by everyone, including Apple. There's no telling how its feature set really compares to an iPod, even now that the press embargo is lifted.

And you are wrong that no one will spend $350 on a device primarily to play music.

9. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

So the headphones can pair directly to the watch?

10. swarmster thread starter macrumors 6502a

swarmster

Yes.

11. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It'll PIA to manage music on #⌚using iPhone as a miniature iTunes. Will get old quick.

12. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

It's splash resistant not water resistant. In other words don't get water in the mic hole

13. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

I read that the music playback is actually pretty bad on the screen. With such a nice item like the touchscreen shuffle, I don't see why they couldn't have used that music interface for the watch.

14. ttexxan macrumors regular

The watch only works as control for music and see whats playing on your phone. The phone doesnt store anything. It all comes from the iphone. So you wouldnt be able to leave phone in your locker across the gym. Its basically a controller to switch songs on your wrist

Not sure why so many people are not understanding what the watch does. For example in order to use the Target app on your watch you must have it on your phone. The watch is tid bits of what the watch is shooting to it. So for music your hearing whats coming from your phone not from the watch

Im getting the watch but mark my words once the hype wears off the watch is going to get old. Most will find going back picking up there phones. This is how my samsung watch went. Owned for a month and then sold. Im an apple fan so atleast must try

15. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I just hope it allows for the range. I've read that it could be 30 m or 100 meters. The latter might be enough.

Not true, the watch has 2GB for music and will work with Bluetooth headphones. Might work with the speaker too.

16. swarmster thread starter macrumors 6502a

swarmster

As HopefulHumanist said, this is not true. The fact that there's still so much confusion about this hours from the thing going on sale is a testament to my point.

----------

I think The Verge said something to that effect, that it was lacking compared to the iPod nano's interface, but failed to go into how. Does that mean you can't give and view song ratings? Not important to me. Does it involve the actual playback and navigation of songs? Could be a big deal.

17. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

This isn't correct. Sadly, you're the one who doesn't understand. Might want to do some fact checking before sounding so confident :)

18. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I'm anticipating heavy usage of playlists and albums and initiating or changing playback with Siri. That'd work for me as I already play most of my music like that.

19. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I think the lack of interest stems from a couple of things. Bluetooth headphones are still relatively uncommon, and most people will be using the watch paired with their phone and won't have a need to use onboard storage. It's cool that it's available though. I was wondering if the 2GB for music is a dedicated section that can only be used for music, or if that's just the maximum that you can use. I probably won't be using music on the watch itself, but might have use for the 2GB of storage space once we start getting actual apps, etc.

20. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

thats what i was wondering but since i dont have bluetooth headphones i'll like to see if we can use that space for apps? you know kinda like our ipods or iphones or it is it lockdown mode?where it just for music:mad:

21. bgro macrumors 6502a

Same boat. I believe the watch has either 1 or 2gb of space allocated for music. Not sure how it will get on the watch tho. Hopefully u can airdrop it they the watch app or something like that. If it has to be wired to a computer to transfer music that will suck

22. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

There is in fact no way to connect the watch to anything with a wire.

23. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

magsafe? since it has usb port maybe it can sync to mac? dont hold my neck but im thinking there that way maybe... kinda like that usb-c thing..

24. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I could be wrong (there do seem to be a lot of unknowns with this release, don't there?), but I'm pretty sure the magsafe connector is only for charging.

25. Azzin macrumors 68040