Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
There's really nowhere else to go after the S8/S9 all but removed the bezels. The phone itself is a screen, which has been the holy grail of smartphone design for almost a decade. Now that it's been achieved, anything else will likely just be a gimmick.

"Look, we got a cool notch!"

"Wowzers, this phone is foldable! That's a cool feature nobody ever asked for!"

"Our notch is now 22% smaller than the previous notch!"

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes until they can come up with the all-screen design Apple pioneered, Samsung is a long way from perfection.
The display tech itself from Samsung is quite ok. They are far ahead of LG still unfortunately, but that gap is starting to close too.
Don't worry, Samsung will come up with some flowery crap that ruins an otherwise perfectly good operating system. Sammy owners are lucky to get 2 android version updates before Samsung forgets about them.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Don't worry, Samsung will come up with some flowery crap that ruins an otherwise perfectly good operating system. Sammy owners are lucky to get 2 android version updates before Samsung forgets about them.

Yes this is one of the worst things about Samsung especially. They charge prices in the ballpark of what Apple charges for flagships, but Samsung quickly abandons you.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
There's really nowhere else to go after the S8/S9 all but removed the bezels. The phone itself is a screen, which has been the holy grail of smartphone design for almost a decade. Now that it's been achieved, anything else will likely just be a gimmick.

Not for me, the curved screen, glass back, and the narrow long shape don’t cut it.. I miss the Pre Note 7 design!

Reactions: tbayrgs

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yes until they can come up with the all-screen design Apple pioneered, Samsung is a long way from perfection.
The display tech itself from Samsung is quite ok. They are far ahead of LG still unfortunately, but that gap is starting to close too.

And yet the Note 9 is pretty much just as all screen without a notch. Imagine if they made the chin disappear.

Reactions: Dave.UK and iSilas

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
all that AND a headphone jack.....

LiveMessage_2018-09-27-00-19-28.gif

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

This is true, Samsung will need to do something epic with the S10.

Just long as they don't have Dead Pixels....errrr.....Notch at the top of the screen like these other phones, I'll be happy.

One of my favourite things about the Notch is how Apple tried to hide it on the Press Images of the new iPhones and how Android OEMs have a feature to hide it, it is all very telling that it's a stupid thing that they shouldn't have put in.

Indeed, and the SPen and a 4000mAh battery. Bring on the S10/Note10, legendary greatness is coming.
All this and then some person comes here to talk about Phone resale value or Apple profits

Thankful I am at a point in my life where I dont worry about a Phone's resale value but rather a Property/house.

Reactions: Sevanw and iSilas

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
Samsung doesn't need to ever get rid of the top and bottom bezels just as long as they never get rid of them to add a notch. The notch is the reason I never bought last years X and any of this years notch XS(excess).

I've pretty much switched to Samsung only now. Sold my iPad Pro back in August and bought all Samsung phones for my three T-Mobile lines.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Samsung doesn't need to ever get rid of the top and bottom bezels just as long as they never get rid of them to add a notch. The notch is the reason I never bought last years X and any of this years notch XS(excess).

I've pretty much switched to Samsung only now. Sold my iPad Pro back in August and bought all Samsung phones for my three T-Mobile lines.

The Samsung notch is edge to edge

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not for me, the curved screen, glass back, and the narrow long shape don’t cut it.. I miss the Pre Note 7 design!

Same on two of those three items. I hate the curved glass and how it makes the device feel even more narrow. I'll take a reasonable sized notched (looking at you Google ;)) over the curved edges. I also realize I'm also probably in the minority with that sentiment. :p

The latest renders of the upcoming OnePlus 6T is a nicer design, IMO, than any of the latest Samsung phones.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Yes until they can come up with the all-screen design Apple pioneered, .

You know that the screen to body ratio on the s9 compared to the x is higher don't you, of course you do.. you are just being all cute, once again pretending that Apple did something first, which is never the case...

Reactions: iSilas

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You know that the screen to body ratio on the s9 compared to the x is higher don't you, of course you do.. you are just being all cute, once again pretending that Apple did something first, which is never the case...

Screen-to-body ratios...

Iphone X Max: 84.4%

S9, S9 Plus, Note 9: 83.6%, 84.2%, 83.9%.

If you're going to make "mightier-than-thou" comments, at least make sure you get your figures straight.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/bezel-less-phone-comparison/

Reactions: ssl0408

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S line design is really incredible although I hate the edge screens, it's so useless they could have made the edge shortcuts without the need of having an edge curved screen which cuts content to the bottom, creates light bleed and distortion and most of all creates a lot of accidental touches.
I'm 99% sure the next Samsung design will be reducing the bottom and top bezel as much as they can so they don't follow the Notch trend and we will get a much bigger screen and a way more symmetrical device.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I did! Still do! Imagine: a phone which fits in your pocket, but unfolds into a tablet. Huge screen, and pocketable - what’s not to like?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Let's assume someone can make a screen that will withstand years of folding and unfolding. This is the biggest concern. Even if that happens... there will still be other problems:

Glass doesn't bend... so we're going back to plastic screens?

If the phone is a smaller square shape when folded... you'll have to unfold it to a rectangle to get a size that's equivalent to normal phones today. This achieves your tiny pocket-sized goal... but it also means you'll have to unfold it every time you want to use a normal sized experience.

Or if the phone is a normal shape rectangle when folded... it will unfold to a bigger square shape. It doesn't make it smaller in your pocket... it only gets bigger for the times you want a bigger experience. While this seems to be the overall goal... I just hope it doesn't add a lot of extra weight, thickness and complexity in your pocket for the times you're not unfolding it.

Then... will it lock in the open position? Or will you have to hold it with two hands so that it doesn't remain floppy in your hands? One thing about true tablets... they are rigid!

I know everyone thinks they'll have a phone that unfolds to become a tablet. But geometry and physics might not work like that...

Z3qL9KU.jpg

Reactions: tbayrgs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.