Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'll believe it when I see it.

Let's assume someone can make a screen that will withstand years of folding and unfolding. This is the biggest concern. Even if that happens... there will still be other problems:

Glass doesn't bend... so we're going back to plastic screens?

If the phone is a smaller square shape when folded... you'll have to unfold it to a rectangle to get a size that's equivalent to normal phones today. This achieves your tiny pocket-sized goal... but it also means you'll have to unfold it every time you want to use a normal sized experience.

Or if the phone is a normal shape rectangle when folded... it will unfold to a bigger square shape. It doesn't make it smaller in your pocket... it only gets bigger for the times you want a bigger experience. While this seems to be the overall goal... I just hope it doesn't add a lot of extra weight, thickness and complexity in your pocket for the times you're not unfolding it.

Then... will it lock in the open position? Or will you have to hold it with two hands so that it doesn't remain floppy in your hands? One thing about true tablets... they are rigid!

I know everyone thinks they'll have a phone that unfolds to become a tablet. But geometry and physics might not work like that...

Z3qL9KU.jpg

I don’t expect it any time soon, but I’ll keep an open mind. Think about how far tech has moved in the last 10 years - everyone now has a smartphone, voice assistants are commonplace, streaming TV is standard, TVs are ever bigger, thinner, and higher resolution. Folding screens have already been shown, but they’re not ready yet. In 10 years? Probably. Smart people are working on it, and it’s not like it breaks the laws of physics like, say, teleportation...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.