the Genius' at Apple...seem to amaze me again.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joseph1313, Feb 24, 2008.

1. joseph1313 macrumors member

Well as you know or some of you do, my iphone is toast. So it is jailbroken and bought from a freind. But apple dosent know that. THe genius ran the serial number and said in order for a swap they need the sim card the phone came with. But i do not have it....the sim card is in use by the guy i bought it from so i am unsure on what they want. Do they want to jus see the sim and make sure i have it or they want to keep it. But if they want to keep it and i tell my friend i need to borrow it are they going to give it back. Im very unsure on what they want. Someone help thanx. :mad::apple:

2. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Every time I have seen an iPhone swapped out at the genius bar they have taken the sim card from the defective phone and placed it in the replacement. I would suspect it's a matter of policy to do this to ensure they are only servicing iPhones with a valid warranty, since any non unlocked phone should have the AT&T sim card in it. I would think you could just borrow it back. But you may have more problems if they try to verify your AT&T account.

Didn't you say you had dropped your iPhone wouldn't they notice the dent?

3. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

the only thing is that im sure your right...but im signed with t-mobile i use my iphone with. Well use to, so i need to ask my friend to borrow the sim he had...its under his name and everything so there shud be no problems if he came. But they dont keep the sim right...they jus swap phones and same sim in the new phone. ?:confused:

also..can i jus get like any of my freinds atat sim card or buy a prepaid one jus so htey like see an at&t card. or the one that is bein used by the guy i bought from is the best idea?

4. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

I've never seen them keep the sim, and I've seen at least 4 phones swapped out.

From what I've noticed they put it in the new phone and activate it, so I would guess it would need to be an iPhone sim card and if that person doesn't have the iPhone plan you may run into some problems.

5. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

so basically jus get in touch with the guy that has the sim i need and borrow it so he can help me get the new phone. Is their like any other ways of workin around this cause it may be hard to do since he lives some tiem away. you guys sure i can jus get a pre paid or jus some old at&t sim to do this?

uhm.....an iPhone plan...i don think he has that anymore being that he sold the phone..

6. ajx22 macrumors regular

Call Apple Care.

They will send you a return-shipping box. You would then send them the iPhone without the SIM - and they would send you it (or a new one) back.

7. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Well basicly you have to be able to show that you have AT&T service for your iPhone to be eligible for warranty service. It would probably depend on how thorough the genius is as to whether or not you will get caught. As it is your warranty has been voided since your using another service. I have never seen them swap a phone out without activating it. I don't think you could activate iPhone service with a prepaid card I could be wrong though I don't have any experience with those. Also keep in mind they can make notes and associate them with the serial number for that phone so if they discover your situation you may be out of luck for good.

8. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

what is exactly apple care isnt that jus apple....do they have a website or a telephone number...some details bro?

9. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

This sounds like the best way to me. You may have to wait a little but better safe than sorry.

10. ajx22 macrumors regular

11. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

so who do i call to get in touch with apple care? the apple support number im not too sure.....

12. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

(1-800-MY-APPLE)

13. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

thnx now what is diff. from them than the idiots at apple?

14. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

They are Apple. the people at apple are the only ones that will service your iPhone (for free at least). You can got to a store or send it in those are your options.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, they're still Apple. AppleCare is the umbrella term used for any form of Apple owned & operated technical support, be it the Geniuses at a Genius bar or phone support.

Here's the difference: if you call on the phone, your iPhone is swapped through the mail, not in person, and according to ajx22, you do not need to include your SIM (of course, this would need to be confirmed by Apple).

16. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

i cant find anything on sendin my phone in to them:confused::confused:

17. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

you need to call them and make them send you a box.

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

you have to call them. thing is they often ask for your mobile number.

19. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Once you call them and talk to them they will give you instructions. They have phone technical support they go through first otherwise people would end up sending their phones in unnecesarily in some cases.

20. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

if they ask for my mobile number can i jus tell them the guys that sold me it and wouldnt that work power? also if they cathc me and are suspicous do they have the right to keep my phone from me? no right? they have to give it back...:(

21. ajx22 macrumors regular

Here's a iPhone repair box that was sent to me when my Brother-in-Law's iPhone screwed-up. He lives in Canada - and needed a US address to get it shipped to; but got a Apple store to replace it before I got the box:

Attached Files:

22. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

They can't keep your phone the most they can do is deny you service. Be sure to keep any documentation that you sent it in.

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The idiots at Apple?
    Because you have purchased and been using a phone that violates their Terms of Service? And now you're trying to figure out the best way to get them to give a free replacement on a phone that is not under warranty? They're idiots?

24. dsl4c macrumors member

when calling applecare, they will run your mobile # to make to make sure you have an active ATT account.

25. joseph1313 thread starter macrumors member

i called today and they said that they would be able to give me a new phone they will send me a box. The only thing is that i need to verify either the email or the name under who bought the fone. THis seems easy being that i dont need a sim card. is their ne way they no i have unlocked phone if they jus switch battery.?