The "Gimme My Verizon iPhone Already!" Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacsBestFriend, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

For all your rants and raves for people, including me, that are not going to switch to AT&Pee for an iPhone but would rather have it on Verizon, minus all of the Vcast junk!

Our dream may come true WWDC 2009!

2. marine610610 macrumors regular

Verizon gets an iPhone and i leave Sprint that day...

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

The day Verizon has the iPhone or at least have it working on its network is when they switch over to GSM in 2013. Good luck waiting.

4. hypmatize macrumors regular

I would never get verizon for any phone.... but that is just me. its too much of a rip off.

again IMO

5. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

Would get an iphone instantly if it were on verizon :D

6. marine610610 macrumors regular

Yeah, it would be like paying an extra 30.00 a month on top of a data plan to have unlimited text for family....oh wait...

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple is selling plenty of iPhones on the most prevalent cellular technology on the planet. Can you hear me now? GOOD.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Would consider it fairly seriously if it came to Verizon. I giive the iPhone no serious consideration whatsoever right now.

9. vertigomhs macrumors member

this isnt going to happen for a few reasons, verizon isnt a gsm network, apple would have the re design the phone from scratch in terms of the network.

most of the world uses gsm, would make it easier for apple to have version of the phone

verizon wouldnt let apple use there own OS, one reason apple went to ATT.

and because ATT has an exclusive contract for 5 years, and even when its over, apple has the option to resign which im pretty sure they will considering how well its doing with ATT, and i doubt they would ever go with t-mobile (the next worthwhile gsm network)

10. marine610610 macrumors regular

Or... Apple could make a phone that is both CDMA and GSM capable?

Im willing to bet Verizon realizes they made a mistake, and may give Apple a little more respect.

For every reason not to make a CDMA phone, there is a reason to make one. I think we should be HOPING Apple makes one. It would take some of the stress off ATT's sorry network, and drive Apple that much harder to make the next best thing.

BTW..Sprint does not have a GSM network, they have a CDMA network. Surely you meant T-Mobile with your last comment?

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Gawd, I hope not! Poorest decision Apple could make if that were to happen...:mad:

12. vertigomhs macrumors member

yea sorry meant t mobile, idk why i thought sprint. i edited it,thanks.

and oh im sure verizon realizes it was a mistake, look at its success, you hear about it in the news and pretty much everywhere nowadays.

then there is that poll that verizon put out about the iphone and getting people to sign up with them for it if they had it (the iphone). (i think thats right, right?)

On ATT's service, i hate to say it but i think they've fixed their act up, at least here in LA, i used to have no reception in my house, but now i usually have 5 bars, which never happened before, and the 3g speed is quick, in my area i get around 2mbit down :p

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The great Verizon wet dream surfaces again. :rolleyes:

Apple and ATT have a 5 year exclusive arrangement. Get over it.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon is not switching to GSM. They're adding LTE 4G data.

Why do non-engineers think that's a problem? Apple already redesigned the phone once, to work with W-CDMA 3G networks.

Wrong again. For example, one major hangup was that Verizon didn't like Apple's control over distribution. Ironically, Apple has now done exactly what Verizon had originally asked, and allowed places like Best Buy to carry it.

Nope. It turned out to not be five years. It has been extended two years until mid-2010.

I don't think Verizon is getting the iPhone. But at least people should use facts and decent arguments, instead of the usual fanboy myths.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It isn't happening at WWDC. Or ever.

But, Apple, please just do it and horribly cripple it just to make these horrendously meaningless threads stop.

16. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I don't understand why anyone even cares if a Verizon version came out.

If anything, I would welcome it with open arms. Not because I want to switch to Verizon (I'm happy with ATT).

The biggest problem with US cellular networks is that the best provider is NOT the one with the best phones, but with the best reception where you live.

I'd love for the iPhone to be on all networks in the US so that ATT would have competition at the network level for iPhone users. Thus, ATT would be more likely to improve their 3G network (and vice versa for other carriers).

That was kind of the big thing when the RAZR went to all networks (circa 2001-2003), was that suddenly, the networks were competing on network quality and cost, not who had the RAZR. Of course after about 5 years of this, we had "free RAZRs" on every network, but when the RAZR dropped in the US it was a hot phone that easily drove new subscriptions and thus improvements in network quality.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

19. bina12834 macrumors regular

Verizon would just lock the iPhone up like they do with every other phone they get....sure it would be nice to have the best network in the US, but they would lock the phone so much and throw all their Verizon stuff on it, it wouldnt be the same phone.

20. Chaosen1 macrumors newbie

Can anyone remind me why Apple *wouldn't* want to have the phone on Verizon? Right now they're just ignoring the millions of people on Verizon. Sure AT&T wouldn't like it, but this would be a good move for Apple. The current situation is like if Apple didn't sell macbooks to people who had Comcast internet.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty common knowledge that Verizon passed on the phone as they were not willing to cut Apple in for as much as Apple wanted. Apparently, Apple got a sweet deal from ATT. Based on ATTs public comments, they are not likely to let this go and will do what it takes to keep Apple with them.

22. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Google it. Apple went to Verizon first. They had their chance. Verizon did not want to accept things like them NOT being able to stick their ugly logo all over the place or NOT to cripple the software or NOT to cripple the wifi.

Fine company, that Verizon, oh wait. They suck and the iPhone would never have been what it is today if apple buckled to Verizon.

Instead they went to ATT and we have the iPhone in the form apple wanted.

Too bad for Verizon, (but...butt..... the STORM! :rolleyes:)

To all those waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone.

Face reality. Not in the next two years at least. (ATT exclusiity contract and how much you think ATT will shell out to extend it even by a year? (think LOTS of cash for apple.)

Deal with it. Or continue to waste time posting about it.

23. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

The same reason the blackberry storm is only on verizon, it's all about the exclusivity contracts that they sign. Ignoring the millions of customers? Maybe.

However it's been close to two years since the original iphone came out so most verizon users have had their contracts end and easily could have made the switch to at&t. If you want it on verizon so bad maybe think about getting a different phone, because if you haven't switched you are choosing the carrier over the phone..

and yes, i switched from verizon to at&t in july of '07

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If so, then hurray for Verizon!

It was NOT a good thing that ATT was willing to give everyone's subsidy money for the first iPhone to Apple, on top of their sales profit. (And call it "revenue sharing" to hide the brazen theft.)

Fortunately, that contract only lasted for one year, and then customers finally got to use the allocated subsidy money to lower the cost of buying the 3G model.

But that's not the main or only reason Verizon passed on the iPhone (which didn't even exist at the time). Nor did it have to with "crippling", which Apple itself does FAR worse on the iPhone (from Bluetooth, to video out, to apps, to using only a 2G radio at first).

A Verizon main beef was that Apple wanted to totally control sales locations and warranty replacement. Verizon didn't want to leave out their partners, such as Best Buy. Guess what happened later, anyway?

25. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

keep in mind that apple wants the iPhone to sell in as many countries as possible. i don't understand the tech involved with making a GSM and CDMA iPhone, but if apple wants it to be available everywhere they will have to make it as compatible as they can. having only a GSM iPhone is probably crippling their expansion roadmap. with or without contract exclusivity.