The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've most finished the book. What I would call the climax has just begun. The subject matter of this book makes it a thriller, but it does not read quite like a thriller, more like a documentary. It has a subdued feeling. I'm not sure what to blame this on, the original author or the translation. Anyone think this is the best thing they've ever read?

Some might consider the following a spoiler although I've kept it generalized enough, I don't believe it is:

Plot summary: spoiler>>Political reporter is tried for libel and looses. While recovering from this event, he agrees to be hired by the former head of a large corporation to investigate the disappearance of his niece 40 years ago that has been unsolved despite a thorough investigation. Henrik Vanger seems to think someone in his family is responsible. I'll let you read it in the book, but for this elderly CEO, something happens annually on his birthday that makes him believe his niece was murdered and he is being taunted by whomever is responsible. The reporter ends up assisted by a young female investigator with a troubled past to figure out what happened.<<end spoiler.

The original Swedish movie was released in 2009. Anyone seen it? Any good?

IMBD Link. The English version of this movie is being made with a projected release date of Dec 2011, a long way off and will star Daniel Craig (James Bond) as the reporter and Rooney Mara as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (investigator).

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I read the entire trilogy in a weekend. Very entertaining thrillers. The first book can be read as a standalone story, the the last two books really are one single story.

Also watched the Swedish language film of the first book. Not a bad adaptation.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I was waiting for someone to post about this book, since it's been such a huge phenomenon. I thought the story was good, but for whatever reason I disliked the writing style, and nothing really blew my socks off. Perhaps it was the translation - I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable read, but it left me with the same feeling that'd I'd have after reading any number of those thriller/mystery novels you can randomly pick off a rack in an airport terminal.

It's probably just me, though - it certainly has been really popular all over the world! Maybe I should read it again.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks guys. After I finish this one, I plan on renting the movie.

While it keeps my interest and I plan on diving into the second book, I'd have to rank it a notch below other thrillers I've read such as Silence of the Lambs or Da Vinci Code. I realize some people hated the Da Vinci Code as poorly written, but I was amazed at how Brown could end every chapter with some exciting revelation. :) By comparision, TGWTDT seems to methodically plod along to it's conclusion which I'm just starting. I'll report back once I'm done with a final verdict. :)

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I have read them and seen all three movies.The movies would probably make sense without reading the books although the breadth and depth of the books doesn't make it to the screen.The Swedish movies do a fairly good job of presenting the overall feel of the books, I have very serious doubts about the story surviving the Hollywood machine.The DVD releases are available in the usual places.

6. 3O01 macrumors newbie

I am reading the book as we speak. I had already seen the movie.

My only question is how was Lisbeth able to gain access to Mikel's Computer like that? What did she use, and are people actually able to do such? (if so, link). I wanna test this out on one of my old computers.

7. msp1518 macrumors newbie

I enjoyed the film a great deal and liked the second flick as well. The third film is to be released this October in the USA.

The first book was great. Second book was quite after a rather slow first 1/4. The third book awaits me, but I don't have the time right now.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I just finished the series (slow reader). I have to recommend it. As far as a good read, the second and third books are the same story line and I found them very enjoyable.

Happy New Year! Signing off to celebrate. :)

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Movie was good. I'd give it 3 or 3.5 out of 4 stars. Has one of the more disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm about 90 pages in (the paperback version), and so far it's failed to impress me. There's nothing that's really gotten me hooked yet, so I'm hoping it'll pick it up and something more interesting than watching a paint drying contest will eventually happen.

11. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

The first film in the original Swedish series is fantastic - - top ten of the year! It was great to see a sophisticated and complex mystery thriller done as well as this.

(Note: The two sequels are terrible made-for-television trash. They were so bad that they decreased my enjoyment of the memory of the original. Unless you're a total Dragon Tattoo fanboy, I highly recommend stopping after the first one.)

12. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i've seen all three films, which were done very well. i refuse to read the books since they'd be translations due to my incompetence in swedish.

too bad hollywood will be ruining it all with remakes very soon. IIRC, daniel craig will be playing mikel, it will be filmed in sweden, and they will be performing in english with a swedish accent. (wtfseriouslyugh)

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen all three movies, very good IMO. It's sad that the writer died, there was supposed to be over 10 books IIRC.

If you want to see other great Swedish movies, take a look at Wallander and Beck movies. Both are great thrillers

14. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Very good movie.
    Disturbing at times.
    Well-acted
    great cinematography
    story mysterious enough to keep you interested besides.

I generally despise subtitled films.
    Five minutes in I didn't care as it was THAT good.

15. Huntn, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

The first part of the book where Bloomkvist is dealing with his lawsuit is slow but it slowly gains momentum when he starts investigating the missing nease. The first book is a little long on methodical and short on thrills. There are elements of a thriller, but there is something about the writing or the translation that keeps it tamped down. The second and third books in contrast are better reads revealing the conspiracy of how Lisbeth Salander became a ward of the state.

I caught the Swedish version via rental and enjoyed it. It will be interesting to see how much an improvement if any Hollywood can make on this title.

Saw this as wiki, thought it was interesting: