The Golden Compass (movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FoxyKaye, Oct 10, 2007.

1. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Couldn't find an "official" thread for this movie, so I thought I'd start one.

It looks like the worldwide trailer has just been released this week - there's a link from the main Golden Compass movie Web site: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com

I have to say that I'm a huge fan of the books (The Golden Compass (Northern Lights), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass), but the latest bits of dialogue from the trailer have given me pause for concern. All references to the Alethiometer that appeared in the previous teaser trailer and ComiCon preview seem to have been changed to "golden compass," the implication is now that Mrs. Coulter is running the Magesterium whereas it was previously her running the Gobblers, and in general the whole Dust phenomenon seems to be more and more downplayed in favor of the Magesterium attempting to control other worlds.

I trust New Line, but the movie has also swapped directors and writers more times than a keychain party - if it does well, there are plans to film The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass back-to-back. But I'm starting to be very concerned that the qualities of the books and story arc that made them most rich are being glossed over - I suppose that's Hollywood.

In many regards, I'm hoping New Line doesn't bungle this movie, since to me these books are even better than the Harry Potter series but don't have as much exposure (well, at least here in the States).

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If by "the very qualities of the books" you mean "their increasingly narrow-minded and screed-like qualities," then yes. If you thought Pullman's clear hatred for spirituality would be preserved in mass-market films, well... you're as crazy as he is. ;)

I used to love this series when I was younger. Now I appreciate it, but by The Amber Spyglass Pullman had put all his personal biases clearly on the page in a way that (I thought) really detracted from the story. His critical stance on the church as an instrument of power in society in the first book I could see, but... well, let's just say that I certainly don't think the third book is at all graceful about the point.

That said, I'll still go see it. :)

3. bartelby macrumors Core

I wasn't too keen on the books to begin with. I like Northern Lights, but the other two rambled on. I gave them another chance and I love the books now.
    They are much, much more interesting than Potter.

When I first heard the films were being made it was said that the screenplay writers were trying to remove all religious references because it would upset the American market.

I've been worried about the films ever since.

KillMoms, So Pullman dislikes religion and spirituality? So what?
    If the studio want to make a film of the books they should stick to the plot.
    If they don't like it, they shouldn't option the film.

4. calculus Guest

calculus

The Young Vic did a stage version of the books a few years back. It was in two parts (six hours in all) and was absolutely brilliant.

5. FoxyKaye thread starter macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
  6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's okay to dislike it. It's quite another to be thoroughly uncreative and harm the plot of your books by being a dick about it.

Believe me, I'm of the "keep it off my wave" school of thought when it comes to religion, but I'm not rude about it to people. Lots of people take it seriously and it plays an important part in their lives, and if that works for them, cool. Pullman could've easily written that series without being a petulant child about "killing God" and whatnot, which just smacks of "let's see how the religious community likes THIS" instead of legitimate storytelling. It's a case of an atheist being just as snot-nosed as a religious extremist—I find both poles equally annoying.

As for the studios, they smelled money, they offered Pullman (or his publisher, or whomever) a deal, probably with a script, and he took it. If you think making big-budget Hollywood movies has ANYTHING to do with art or story or integrity, well, you just haven't worked in the business. ;)

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I wish I could have gone.

Lucky Londoners..

8. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I'm not a huge fan of organized (or disorganized) religion but I can see where the producers would have to alter the book to make it "sell-able." It's still a kids movie and there would be far too many protests from over-opinionated groups to make any money - and this will be an expensive film to make. The wikipedia page is pretty interesting. It seems there have been a few rewrites.

With that said, I'll still see it. The sets from the previews look pretty cool.

9. calculus Guest

calculus

Just to be clear about this, and not wanting to insult anyone, I am not a Londoner! (just someone with a good rail service into London...)

10. calculus Guest

calculus

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Lucky South Easteners...:rolleyes:;)

I wish film studio execs has spines!

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Having seen the trailer I'm now slightly concerned as well. I knew they were going to be downplaying things, but 'golden compass'? It sounds really....anti-climactic in a way. "She has the golden compass' .

I do hope this doesn't turn out to be another Harry Potter-esque film attempt.

13. Matildaaaargh macrumors newbie

Matildaaaargh

Believe me, this movie is going to be fabulous. I'm an avid fan of the books I did some work experience at Pinewood on this film and it just looks amazing. I can't really say much, but as a film it is very well crafted.

I know it is very difficult to separate a movie adaptation from its original story, but you have to treat them as different things. Who was expecting this film to be anything less than a huge budget Hollywood blockbuster when they first announced it? You have to accept what it is being made for.

Trust me on this one. Go to see it. Take your friends to see it. Drag in strangers, because it really is awesome.

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Haha, clearly you never knew the title of the book had been changed in the States. Interestingly enough, I didn't know until just now that it was titled "Northern Lights" in the UK. To me, "The Golden Compass" makes more sense, given the titles of the other two books are the names of the other powerful artifacts in the series. Ah well, it's a question of familiarity I guess.

15. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Oh really? That would make a whole lot more sense then. :D

Why they do that in the first place is beyond me...

16. newboy4128 macrumors newbie

newboy4128

I can not wait to see it, because the trailer looks awesome. Of course some family members are refusing to see it because the Catholic church says to boycott it.

I doubt someone is going to watch the movie and walk out and say to themselves "Wait now it is clear the church was wrong." In my book censorship is wrong at any level.

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I was really looking forward to these movies as His Dark Materials are my favourite books, but the trailer didn't impress me much...

18. Highcroft macrumors regular

I go to a Catholic school and they discourage us from watching it and the principal at my old elementary school sent letters home telling parents not to watch it. I still plan on watching it since I read parts of the books and thought it was pretty good.

19. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Me too - it said something along the lines of "The movie has been watered down so as not to offend Christians, but they are lead-ins to the book - the first one is anti-religion, the second one more obvious in its hatred of Christianity, and the third more blatant still. Parents may take their children to see the movie, then want to buy the trilogy for their children for Christmas. No parent trying to raise their child in faith will want anything to do with this series!"

(it helps I have a church bulletin that has a note saying as much right in front of me. ;))

I haven't really checked into either the books or movie, so can't really pass judgment.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I would'nt say Pullman ever lost his creativity as the stories continued, and while I can understand your feelings on the blatant anti religious sentiments within the book I never felt like Pullman's reasons for placing them within the story were mean spirited (ie* being a dick).

I'd say Pullman deffinitely has very strong feelings on the issue, the major difference I saw between the first book and the second two was a slight loss of subtlety, while the first book hinted at the authors feelings the second two stated it and then used concrete methods to illustrate the authors ideas.

21. karattop macrumors newbie

Fool's Gold

You've probably seen the previews for "The Golden Compass", but don't let the Hollywood hype and creative footage lure you! Pastor Pauley begins an in-depth five part examination of what this movie is about, and why it is a silver screen offering that you'll want to avoid.

Don't be fooled by Mr. Pullman's deception. You can catch this amazing series on EZRAWEB.COM under Feature Articles_The Daily Blender

22. bartelby macrumors Core

Just in case you're not a 1 post troll...

We all know what the film is about, we've read the books!

Maybe Pastor Pauley shouldn't have seen a film he knows he wouldn't have liked. He'd better not read the books by the way, they're stronger than the film.

23. karattop macrumors newbie

Pastor Pauley has not seen the movie - it doesn't come out until Friday, 12/7/07. However, he has read the books and has completed an extensive investigation. If you're not a Believer and do not have knowledge of Scripture, I guess you would have a hard time understanding. I hope that you will investigate Pastor Pauley's findings, though.

In His Love.

Merry Christmas!

24. Roric macrumors regular

As I told a family friend of mine, (our families are both Catholic home schoolers who are very involved at church) "No parent raising their child in faith will be afraid of this series." If you are truly raising your child to be a good faithful Christian, you will not be afraid of this movie or the books. You will have faith in your ability to overcome the harm this story causes.

I would also hope that the parents would TALK to their child about how this series does not represent what you believe. In fact, this series could even STRENGTHEN your faith.

I find it extremely ironic that these church groups are getting all up in arms over the movie. Don't they realize that by shouting from the rooftops that this is a horrible movie that should never be seen, they are actually giving it more publicity and making MORE people want to see it?

25. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So, it looks as if it has indeed been watered down, so that the Catholic bishops in the US are supporting it.