Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Actually, it first uses cell triangulation to grab a general area, then attempts to whittle it down if WiFi is available, THEN uses that general location to lock onto satellites for a more exact fix. Sometimes people never get past the first couple of stages, and they're left with a big 'location circle' on their map.

This happens to me almost always since 3.0. It NEVER gets my GPS location anymore. I can't watch the blue dot move as I drive. It's really dumb now. It used to at least semi-work.

fleeper

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I also upgraded from 2g model. I am currently on a trip (for work) and I am loving the gps. It is spot on and I like the rotating map view.

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
This happens to me almost always since 3.0. It NEVER gets my GPS location anymore. I can't watch the blue dot move as I drive. It's really dumb now. It used to at least semi-work.

it's probably for the best that you can't watch the blue dot as you drive, it's recommended that you watch the actual road.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
@ OP

i suggest you go to wikipedia and search A-GPS which stands for assisted Global Positioning system.

The iphone is goes farther then most phones when finding your location
it uses:
GPS
Celltower triangulation
wifi triangulation
and even internet ip localization which can find your general county

IF your iphone is showing you miles away and in the incorrect spot chances are it is mistaking a WIFI hotspot in the incorrect place and that is your problem. I have had the same problem sometimes. Try turning off wifi and see if it finds your location correctly then. That usually fixes it for me.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
The OP must have been inside when using it if its so inaccurate. I'm sitting in downtown LA in a highrise and says i'm about 2.5 blocks away from where I actually am.........or wait, am I lost? :cool:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Toasting in epic bread.

Sorry, but this deserves a bump.

Thanks for the bump. This is one of the funniest posts I've read on here.

I hardly ever actually LOL but this time I LOL'd and even considered ROFL but decided that was probably the wrong choice since it would wake up the wifey. :D

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Thanks for the bump. This is one of the funniest posts I've read on here.

I hardly ever actually LOL but this time I LOL'd and even considered ROFL but decided that was probably the wrong choice since it would wake up the wifey. :D

Ahh yes, the old ROFL... I opted for the LMFAO. :D

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Consumer GPS are purposely off a bit.

If they were completely accurate you could build a missile guidance system with them. Thats something most governments frown upon.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Please look up the difference between GPS and aGPS.

Maybe you need to look up the definition of aGPS.

aGPS uses satellites. Notice how a Garmin or a Tom Tom may take a minute or two when you first turn it on to lock onto a signal? Thats because they have to find the location of the GPS satellites in the sky. A cell phone which has aGPS can get the current location of the sats from the cellular network so it can lock onto a signal and locate you in a few seconds usually. They both use satellites, the only difference is aGPS will tell the phone where to look for them at. If you pull out your SIM card or are roaming (and have data roaming off) GPS on the iPhone will still work, it will just take longer to locate you.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

iGary said:
Mine is dead on most times, even inside.

Same here. Even when I'm on the train, it is usually VERY accurate. Love the GPS!

jviphone

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss957916
True. Except the iPhone doesn't use satellites

)
The funniest thing is the word True, right before one of the most untrue statements ever. Its like a double negative, so this post never exists..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.