The Grand 2010 15" MBP problems/issues poll (all owners please reply)

Which problems, if any, have you experienced with your MBP?

• Periodic Freezing

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • GPU Switching Issues

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Excessive Heat

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Poor Battery Life

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 26 14.0%
  • No problems, entirely satisfied with laptop

Votes: 124 66.7%

• Total voters

Warsteiner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Ireland
After having looked through Macrumors forums for a while, it seems to me that there's a great deal of concern regarding the reliability of the new, revised 15" Macbook Pros. These concerns seem to be putting a few people off buying one of them, myself included, and it doesn't exactly help that it seems impossible to discern just how common these issues actually are. This is due to the fact that an owner who is unsatisfied with his/her MBP is more likely to post or start a thread than one who is happy with his/her machine.

I'm inviting all owners of the 2010 15" MBP revision to respond to this poll. If enough people do so, we should have a decent indicator as to whether these problems are widespread, or if they are only representative of a small proportion of MBPs sold. Thanks!

iPunk

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Portland Maine
One stuck pixel, I was upset for a day then realized that out of trillions of pixels from all the displays manufactured, a small percent fail. With everything, technology isn't perfect.

Im also very happy with my MbP.

martynjd

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
UK
i bought two 15" i5's, one of them the battery was totally irresponsive and the second the hard drive failed lol, both went in for repair and parts were replaced there and then, all good now :)

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
The only gripe I have is that in order for me to get the 5 hour battery life advertised by Apple, I have to keep my backlit keyboard off, display brightness on the very first setting (which makes text pretty much unreadable), and only use Mail, Safari/Chrome, and Adium.

With brightness set to 50% while running Chrome, Adium, iTunes, and Mail I get 2 hours MAX on a full charge.:mad:

It's been like this since the day I bought it as well.

Deeya

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Perfectly happy with mine! :)

Of course, when I purchased mine from the retail store, I had to call my bank two or three times to deactivate the fraud protection from the purchase, so I think my karma is about even.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I wish we could somehow get all the owners of 2010 MBPs to vote on this, maybe then people would shut up about them needing a refresh because of all their supposed hardware problems. Probably lower the amount of useless threads by a quarter.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
The only gripe I have is that in order for me to get the 5 hour battery life advertised by Apple, I have to keep my backlit keyboard off, display brightness on the very first setting (which makes text pretty much unreadable), and only use Mail, Safari/Chrome, and Adium.

With brightness set to 50% while running Chrome, Adium, iTunes, and Mail I get 2 hours MAX on a full charge.:mad:

It's been like this since the day I bought it as well.
I get 6-8 hours with almost full brightness and airport on with multiple safari windows open, adium and itunes open and ical open. You should probably take your laptop in. Sounds like a faulty battery.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
No problems here, ( it has frozen once but I think that was a software problem not a computer problem )

Very happy with this computer ( specs in sig )

using the battery for browsing the web I get about 7-8 hours

using the battery for work ( aperture 3,photoshop,Premiere etc I get about 4 hours

and when I am running portal I get about 1 hour lol gaming kills battery life!

wandrer2

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Chalk up one for the problemless folks!

Incidentally, I find it annoying that these polls never have an option "I don't have the computer discussed here." I'm sure that skews the results to some extent.

henhog

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Canberra
No problems here (touch wood - my 14 day grace period expires today...). Loving my 15" i5 HR - AG. I had one freeze, but I believe it was an iPod syncing issue. It does get a little hot running Logic + Reason with MIDI and Instrument interfaces, but never over 75 degrees C CPU. And YAY for 0 latency!

blackwind

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
HiRes Gloss 15" i7 with 4gb here. Work like a charm.

No complain, but as i post a thread on here, it has a little glitch with Geektool3. I think it could be just the geektool (3 just been out and maybe bugs or something cause the system to hang). Beside my battery is good.

Just order a WD10TPVT 1TB drive for it pickup tomorrow cant wait to see it run.

CHeers

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I know you specifically requested 15", but the 17" and the 15 are for al intents and purposes the same with an exception for a larger screen and a couple of ports. With that being said, my 17" has been absolutely flawless. When I first got it I regretted the 7200 RPM drive because I very barely felt it and thought it was going to be annoying. What I didn't think about at the time was that Spotlight was indexing "stuff" and therefore hammering the drive. Since that very first day i have yet to feel the 7200 rpm drive spinning so I'm 100% satisfied. :)

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Looks like this poll has shown the MBP to be the most trouble-free Apple laptop ever.
As the original poster said, these polls are usually top-heavy with dissatisfied buyers because those without problems are less likely to register a vote or even read the thread. On top of that, there will be a good number of Apple-haters voting negatively even though they've never bought a unit. Indeed, very often I suspect these kinds of thread are started by such people, hoping to breed angst.
So a whopping, almost SEVENTY PERCENT trouble-free vote in such circumstances is a massive approval of this machine.
Thanks should go to the original poster for putting potential MBP buyers' minds to rest about any possible problems. Thanks original poster!

Horus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
No problems so far. I was playing Just Cause 2 Demo under Bootcamp, and i have to say, woah! that game has damn great graphics, even if I run it at medium settings.

NicktheNorse

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Should the "yellow tinge" issue not to be added to the poll? I know myself and many other posters have encountered it.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
No issues here.

I know Skype causes the GPU to switch to discrete but since I rarely use it and almost never leave it running, it isn't an issue for me.

Very nice upgrade from my '08 Penryn MBP.