The Grand 2010 15" MBP problems/issues poll (all owners please reply)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warsteiner, May 16, 2010.

?

Which problems, if any, have you experienced with your MBP?

1. Periodic Freezing

17 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. GPU Switching Issues

15 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Excessive Heat

17 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Poor Battery Life

22 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Other

26 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. No problems, entirely satisfied with laptop

124 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Warsteiner macrumors member

After having looked through Macrumors forums for a while, it seems to me that there's a great deal of concern regarding the reliability of the new, revised 15" Macbook Pros. These concerns seem to be putting a few people off buying one of them, myself included, and it doesn't exactly help that it seems impossible to discern just how common these issues actually are. This is due to the fact that an owner who is unsatisfied with his/her MBP is more likely to post or start a thread than one who is happy with his/her machine.

I'm inviting all owners of the 2010 15" MBP revision to respond to this poll. If enough people do so, we should have a decent indicator as to whether these problems are widespread, or if they are only representative of a small proportion of MBPs sold. Thanks!

2. moel macrumors 6502

No problems here. One of the first ones out of the factory

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

None here as well...bought earlier this month...according to CoconutBattery, my 15" i5 2.4GHz is two months old...
    No problems whatsoever...

4. iPunk macrumors member

One stuck pixel, I was upset for a day then realized that out of trillions of pixels from all the displays manufactured, a small percent fail. With everything, technology isn't perfect.

Im also very happy with my MbP.

5. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Mine should be arriving within a day or two, and I will post my comments then!

6. martynjd macrumors member

i bought two 15" i5's, one of them the battery was totally irresponsive and the second the hard drive failed lol, both went in for repair and parts were replaced there and then, all good now :)

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

The only gripe I have is that in order for me to get the 5 hour battery life advertised by Apple, I have to keep my backlit keyboard off, display brightness on the very first setting (which makes text pretty much unreadable), and only use Mail, Safari/Chrome, and Adium.

With brightness set to 50% while running Chrome, Adium, iTunes, and Mail I get 2 hours MAX on a full charge.:mad:

It's been like this since the day I bought it as well.

8. Warsteiner thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to those who have replied so far. Results seem to be a bit of a mixed bag.

9. Deeya macrumors member

Perfectly happy with mine! :)

Of course, when I purchased mine from the retail store, I had to call my bank two or three times to deactivate the fraud protection from the purchase, so I think my karma is about even.

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I wish we could somehow get all the owners of 2010 MBPs to vote on this, maybe then people would shut up about them needing a refresh because of all their supposed hardware problems. Probably lower the amount of useless threads by a quarter.

11. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

my 15" i5 is ok, no probs, no freezing, nVidia GPU always on and 6 to 7 hours battery life, I'm really happy and satisfied.

12. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I get 6-8 hours with almost full brightness and airport on with multiple safari windows open, adium and itunes open and ical open. You should probably take your laptop in. Sounds like a faulty battery.

13. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

No problems here, ( it has frozen once but I think that was a software problem not a computer problem )

Very happy with this computer ( specs in sig )

using the battery for browsing the web I get about 7-8 hours

using the battery for work ( aperture 3,photoshop,Premiere etc I get about 4 hours

and when I am running portal I get about 1 hour lol gaming kills battery life!

14. matttung macrumors member

No problems with my 15" i5 Hi-res/a-g mbp at all.

15. wandrer2 macrumors member

Chalk up one for the problemless folks!

Incidentally, I find it annoying that these polls never have an option "I don't have the computer discussed here." I'm sure that skews the results to some extent.

16. henhog macrumors newbie

No problems here (touch wood - my 14 day grace period expires today...). Loving my 15" i5 HR - AG. I had one freeze, but I believe it was an iPod syncing issue. It does get a little hot running Logic + Reason with MIDI and Instrument interfaces, but never over 75 degrees C CPU. And YAY for 0 latency!

17. blackwind macrumors regular

HiRes Gloss 15" i7 with 4gb here. Work like a charm.

No complain, but as i post a thread on here, it has a little glitch with Geektool3. I think it could be just the geektool (3 just been out and maybe bugs or something cause the system to hang). Beside my battery is good.

Just order a WD10TPVT 1TB drive for it pickup tomorrow cant wait to see it run.

CHeers

18. mingoglia macrumors 6502

I know you specifically requested 15", but the 17" and the 15 are for al intents and purposes the same with an exception for a larger screen and a couple of ports. With that being said, my 17" has been absolutely flawless. When I first got it I regretted the 7200 RPM drive because I very barely felt it and thought it was going to be annoying. What I didn't think about at the time was that Spotlight was indexing "stuff" and therefore hammering the drive. Since that very first day i have yet to feel the 7200 rpm drive spinning so I'm 100% satisfied. :)

19. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Looks like this poll has shown the MBP to be the most trouble-free Apple laptop ever.
    As the original poster said, these polls are usually top-heavy with dissatisfied buyers because those without problems are less likely to register a vote or even read the thread. On top of that, there will be a good number of Apple-haters voting negatively even though they've never bought a unit. Indeed, very often I suspect these kinds of thread are started by such people, hoping to breed angst.
    So a whopping, almost SEVENTY PERCENT trouble-free vote in such circumstances is a massive approval of this machine.
    Thanks should go to the original poster for putting potential MBP buyers' minds to rest about any possible problems. Thanks original poster!

20. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

No problems so far. I was playing Just Cause 2 Demo under Bootcamp, and i have to say, woah! that game has damn great graphics, even if I run it at medium settings.

21. NicktheNorse macrumors member

Should the "yellow tinge" issue not to be added to the poll? I know myself and many other posters have encountered it.

22. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Mines the hi res antiglare screen and it's perfect!

23. Lyshen macrumors 6502

No issues here.

I know Skype causes the GPU to switch to discrete but since I rarely use it and almost never leave it running, it isn't an issue for me.

Very nice upgrade from my '08 Penryn MBP.

24. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

15"/i7/Glossy HR/8GB/SSD Nearly 3 weeks old, perfect machine so far.

Just about to get the 13" for my Wife - hope it's as trouble-free.

25. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The yellow tinge issue is completely subjective, as far as i'm concerned. Honestly I have yet to see anything even close to the imac yellow tinge on the new MBPs.