The Great Blu ray 17" Macbook Pro experiment.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waywardsage, Jun 1, 2009.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If you've got an old generation 17" that takes IDE still, then I expect it would work, not so much for new generation ones, not sure if the switch occurred before the current one though.

3. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

My system profiler says the following:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DA09
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Seems like its ATAPI (IDE) Could it be reading it wrong?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I know we were talking about this in another thread, but don't forget that you can also purchase external Blu-ray drives if you are hesitant on buying that slot loading drive. Might not be an option for you, but I thought I might as well put it up here for those who are wondering about BR drives.

5. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Sorry, i was about to reply to your post but got sucked into the Apple design debate.

Everything points to that drive working. I had called Fastmac about their insanely priced drive. They acted like they could care less if I bought it, despite my saying in no uncertain terms: i will buy this if you lower it to a reasonable price. They rep. just blew me off.

That being said. This is the SAME drive. Just sold via China. It looks like the same connector as my current internal DVD drive.

They seem to have a no returns unless its broken on delivery policy. I guess it's because a ton of idiots keep buying incompatible drives without asking first.

6. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

What weirds me out is I can't believe..that in the vast internet with all its amazing mods and do it yourselfers..nobody had tried this.

Am i the only person interested in Blu ray on my macbook pro?

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I really want Blu-ray especially since I've been buying a lot of them for my PS3. The only thing I want to know is if it matters if I install this on a 15" or 17" MBP. I know the 17" model has the slot on the top portion of the MBP lower casing and the 15" has the slot in the middle of the lower casing. Reason I ask is because the picture in the auction shows the slot on the top part of the drive.

http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp250/kevindan99/?action=view&current=UJ-225-3.jpg

If WWDC turns out to be just iPhones and Snow Leopard, I might try this out and see if it works.

Attached Files:

8. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

If you check Fastmac, the 17" Macbook Pro (Penryn i think) is the only one that can accept the drive.

Uh oh..looks like its a dead end:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/firmware-update-panasonic-uj-225-a-255993/

This guy has the drive and says it won't play never Blu rays. Looks like we might be hosed. Remember how we have to constantly download firmware updates for our PS3's? It'd be pointless to buy a ultra rare drive that Panasonic will probably never update the firmware for.

Sigh...

9. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Haha, I completely missed that part about 17" MBPs only. So close, yet so far! And what's with the firmware updates? Do they like to make drives and just not update them? I wonder if we'll have the same firmware problems if we purchase an external Blu-ray drive.

I guess this is the "bag of hurt" Steve Jobs was talking about.

10. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

yeah, I guess so. But i mean, we could download updates that made our PS3's 2.0 BD Java compatible. Why couldn't we do this with these drives?

I guess i'll go onto the official blu-ray.com forum and see if anyone can help me.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They sell a SATA Blu-ray drive that fits in the Mac mini and it plays Bluray disks if you use Windows.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

That thread is from August 2008. How do you know that the drive won't come with newer firmware? Also, check rpc1.org for all firmware-related inquiries.

13. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

14. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

It's SATA. For me, it's a no-go. So far as my "about this mac" tells me.

Looks like a good option as an external though. I definately need a burner to back up P2 HD files.

15. showstoppin macrumors newbie

showstoppin

thats funny your uses ide, newer technology is are usually sata drives.:confused:

16. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Well, i've made the plung and ordered the Panasonic UJ-225 Blu ray from Ebay!

I'll be sure to leave updates on the performance of this in my 17" macbook Pro!

17. Mercboyz macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this thread. Keep us updated!

18. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

You do understand that PATA != ATAPI or IDE != ATA

IDE has nothing to do with the interconnect, ALL drives are IDE. I think you're confusing (P)ATA with IDE and ATAPI. Your DVD drive is SATA, and it uses the ATA/ATAPI standard for data transmission, like all drives. SATA overtook PATA is 2003; no new computer will have a PATA drive.

19. silverblue3 macrumors newbie

I can confirm that Blu-Ray playback does work with the OP's posted drive. Used it in a previous gen 17" Macbook Pro. On Vista, it plays back Blu-ray DVDs on Power DVD.

20. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

That is not true. Plenty of computers still have PATA optical drives.

21. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Old ones do. That MBP sure doesn't have a PATA disc drive. Else the people buying those hard drive mounts for the optical bay would be buying PATA hard drives

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Wanna bet?

23. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Wow, I stand corrected.

Why is apple so half-assed when it comes to "leading technology". Just switched to SATA DVD drives with the Unibody, but is one of the only in the industry to use DDR3 RAM. Doesn't have Blu-ray or an esata port, but is one of the only (if not only) aluminum computer with a backlit keyboard.

24. waywardsage thread starter macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Thats Apple for you. I've been ranting about the exclusion of Blu ray, HDMI, and Esata for a LONG time.

For some reason, Apple thinks all of these useful options are "not appropriate" for their $2K plus laptops.

Sigh...at least I'LL HAVE Blu ray!

25. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3